Exposure redeye extension

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

Exposure redeye extension

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have a Dynamo/Revo/Redeye combination on my Amazon which works really well. I may, however, be fitting a rack for a trip later this year and the standard Redeye lead won't reach to the rear of the rack. Is there a standard extension cable for this or will I have to make one up? If the latter has anyone done this and know what the connectors are (I'd rather not chop the current lead so a M-F would be required).
composite

Re: Exposure redeye extension

Post by composite »

Would be very interested in this as well. When I put the saddlebag on the bike the wire isn't long enough to get to the loop at the end of the bag. I end up putting the red-eye on the right-hand seat stay which is not ideal.

I have soldered a female connector on to my sinewave so I could use one cable interchangeably between the sinewave and the Revo so this must be viable for an extension. I got the female connector off someone on here though so not sure where to source the parts.

Hmm thinking about it I don't have soldering iron any longer either which could be a problem. :lol: :roll:
atk

Post by atk »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:56 pm I have a Dynamo/Revo/Redeye combination on my Amazon which works really well. I may, however, be fitting a rack for a trip later this year and the standard Redeye lead won't reach to the rear of the rack. Is there a standard extension cable for this or will I have to make one up? If the latter has anyone done this and know what the connectors are (I'd rather not chop the current lead so a M-F would be required).
I had a bunch of these and posted them out to various people a few years back. I still have a bunch but no access to them.

Female connectors: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EDMIR7Y/ ... TE_3p_dp_1

Assume male ones exist also but I'd probably just chop the wire it's a lot less hassle.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

I might have a lead in the garage from when I ran my Revo. Will have a look.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Ah well, if that's the plug size, then this cable might do the job (if a bit long).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/323693027189?

Edit: 50cm with a 90deg plug..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/323926613853?var=512962643010
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I have simply cut a redeye cable and soldered on some extra length for my Fargo.
I have made an extender for my Krampus that is run under the bar tape on my Jones (style) bars.
It has a 4mmx1.7mm DC right angle plug soldered to one end and a 4mmx1.7mm DC socket at the other.
The right angle plugs are cheap on eBay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-In-Line-P ... xEVzW-ReoQ

I could only find the socket attached to a cable like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4mm-x-1-7mm- ... %7Ciid%3A1
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I just cut the cable and added a bit. That was a few years ago and it still works fine.
composite

Post by composite »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:33 pm Ah well, if that's the plug size, then this cable might do the job (if a bit long).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/323693027189?

Edit: 50cm with a 90deg plug..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/323926613853?var=512962643010
The 15mm right-angle one might be long enough for my use, thanks for the link.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

dlovett wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:44 pm I just cut the cable and added a bit. That was a few years ago and it still works fine.
Yeah, but it's already too long most of the time :lol:
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Sorry Colin, only thing I still have is the custom mount I made for Garmin/Revo. It has the lead going into it from the Dynamo and two output leads coming out with a switch to select each one. The output leads are Revo male and B&M E-Werk female. You are welcome to it if any use? Think I'd probably keep the clamp part as have a plan for that. Heres a pic.
Revo.JPG
(94.01 KiB) Downloaded 1439 times
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

And another pic
Revo2.jpg
(81.24 KiB) Downloaded 1439 times
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

wriggles wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:02 pm Sorry Colin, only thing I still have is the custom mount I made for Garmin/Revo. It has the lead going into it from the Dynamo and two output leads coming out with a switch to select each one. The output leads are Revo male and B&M E-Werk female. You are welcome to it if any use?
Ah, thanks for the offer but I'll pass. My goal is to start reducing the amount of unused kit I have, not collect more :grin:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

wriggles wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:02 pm Sorry Colin, only thing I still have is the custom mount I made for Garmin/Revo. It has the lead going into it from the Dynamo and two output leads coming out with a switch to select each one. The output leads are Revo male and B&M E-Werk female. You are welcome to it if any use? Think I'd probably keep the clamp part as have a plan for that. Heres a pic.Revo.JPG
Nice set up. Shame i’m too idle to work out how to post pictures. My Krampus and Fargo both have switches to select between Revo light or Igaro charging.
Fargo has the toggle switch sat in the curve of the drop nestled in the tape by the brake lever.
Krampus has the toggle nestled in the tape where the cross bar is welded to the loop on the Jones(ish) bars.
WSC
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Cheers Lune Ranger. Sounds like your set up is really sorted! Mine was on a Fargo and your solution sounds excellent for ease of use.

If go the charger route again I would like to try the Igaro, although they seem to change the version quite a bit, but that maybe reflects the development work effort put in. Not used my gadget in 4 years. Only came across it as thought had what Scotrotes needed, but think moved it on with the revo.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I’ve just enjoyed messing around with the dyno powered electronics.
I’ve got a later iteration of the Igaro D1. I certainly don’t have any real complaints about it. The new D2 is quite different physically and they claim even greater efficiency. There’s no reason to doubt that they have always struck me as helpful, upfront people when i’ve Dealt with them.
WSC
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I think your three niche options are

Exposure for a light
Igaro for a USB charger
Sinewave Beacon or K light for both in one unit- though i think the later is more integrated system than all in one unit]

I have the sinewave and have no complaints - I like the fact you can run it off a battery[and charge the battery whilst doing this] . IMHO nothing is worse than entering a technical section scrubbing speed and then suddenly not having enough light to see what is ahead. On the road this has never been an issue.
FWIW the beacon is rated at 600 lumens [battery high] but in use its the same as My joystick [on high] in terms of usable light

Given the costs involved i doubt many of us have tried multiple set ups/can make real world comparisons.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Lazarus wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:10 pm I think your three niche options are

Exposure for a light
Igaro for a USB charger
Sinewave Beacon or K light for both in one unit- though i think the later is more integrated system than all in one unit]

I have the sinewave and have no complaints - I like the fact you can run it off a battery[and charge the battery whilst doing this] . IMHO nothing is worse than entering a technical section scrubbing speed and then suddenly not having enough light to see what is ahead. On the road this has never been an issue.
FWIW the beacon is rated at 600 lumens [battery high] but in use its the same as My joystick [on high] in terms of usable light

Given the costs involved i doubt many of us have tried multiple set ups/can make real world comparisons.
No argument with that.
The big problem with a Revo is indeed the output at low speed.
I’d certainly love a Beacon but as Lazarus points out the system cost is high. My set up has grown over time. Second hand Revo. Igaro added later. All the switches etc cobbled together. There is no way I’d have got the expenditure on a new Beacon past the Treasury. Even second hand they are speedy. Add up all the components of my system and its an equivalent cost to the Beacon, I was just able to spread it out.
I tend to use a helmet light for off-road anyway so the poor Revo output at lower speed is not too much of a problem.
Given an unlimited budget I guess i’d plump for the Breacon though despite the home cooked appeal of what i’ve Ended up with.
WSC
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

lune ranger wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:15 pm
FWIW, My Revo light seems to work at low speed much better with my Shimano XT dynamo than my (Exposure-badged) SP. I've not done any quantitative testing but I've noticed that the light will illuminate with just a couple of spins of the Shimano (say when ensuring brake calipers are centered) whereas it takes a lot more effort with the SP.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Mines on a Schmidt SON. No issues with the dyno just my plodding progress :grin:
WSC
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I use the beacon with both a shimano one [ 26"] and an exposure dynamo -700c/29"
Cannot say i have noticed much difference tbh though the low speeds are much more a feature of my SS rides than my commutes I will do 6 mph tomorrow on the commute home and report back as to the usability with the exposure hub.
its fine even as low as 4-6 mph as long as the speed is relatively constant with no real flickering and enough output to see what you are doing. Basically if you are moving it will be enough light - possibly not enough for a technical climb. It does flicker on start up but i assume they all do that.

I started from scratch so just took a big hit on the Sinewave - its a light its not like she will know how much they cost now is it :wink:

THe other advantage is you cannot wire it up wrong in the dark !
composite

Post by composite »

I have just ordered one of the 15mm right angle extensions from Ebay. I'll report back with how it goes.
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

Good to know about cable extension. Any thoughts or solution on how to mount the redeye to the rack. I have a Tubus logo so too small diameter for the standard redeye mount and rubber band
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I was thinking of slicing a bit of hosepipe and fixing that to the rack with zip ties but hadn't really got too far with my deliberations.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

When comparing lights it's worth remembering that the capacity of the internal capacitor will play a part. When I used a Revo, it took quite some spinning of the wheel before it began to light up. The K-lite is just the opposite and will begin to light almost as soon the wheel begins to turn ... the downside is that the standlight doesn't stay on for as long. Although I view that as a blessing as it saves me from having to remember to cover the thing with a glove once i've stopped for the night :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Stu, I wonder if the Revo took some input from the StVZo regs, dynamo lights have to have a standlight for a certain period of time for when waiting at traffic junctions. Then again, the Revo would fail those regulations because of the shape of the beam.

Wouldn't be too hard to have the best of both worlds: a small smoothing capacitor for startup then once things are up and running start to charge a larger one for the standlight, or have a switch to enable the standlight capacitor.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry