Do you own an unsuitable bike?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: Do you own an unsuitable bike?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:23 am
Didn't Charlie T(former)BM run an event like that back in the day? There were various anti-prizes/punishments for turning up on anything that was too close to a mountain bike.
Yes, Charlie used to do a 'Klunker race' which I recall involved self-inflicting injuries by riding an unsuitable bike down a hill as fast as you could.

My initial thoughts are a multi-day ride involving a number of 'check-points'. These would be selected on their unsuitability to be ridden on anything other than a mountainbike*

*It all makes perfect sense in my head :wink:
Just a wee question, now that me and my brain have caught up with the thread... Is the route you're gonna make for this 'event' based around Charlie and his Klunker race... IE. I should plan and expect to have a very high liklyhood of (semi-serious) injury to bike or rider... If so (and cos I'm a big fat softy) I'm out :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just a wee question, now that me and my brain have caught up with the thread... Is the route you're gonna make for this 'event' based around Charlie and his Klunker race... IE. I should plan and expect to have a very high liklyhood of (semi-serious) injury to bike or rider... If so (and cos I'm a big fat softy) I'm out
Not at all Shaf ... this is bikepacking.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:07 pm
Just a wee question, now that me and my brain have caught up with the thread... Is the route you're gonna make for this 'event' based around Charlie and his Klunker race... IE. I should plan and expect to have a very high liklyhood of (semi-serious) injury to bike or rider... If so (and cos I'm a big fat softy) I'm out
Not at all Shaf ... this is bikepacking.
Ace... I look forward to putting my Earnie through his paces... He's a Canyon and according to Hambini they're crap (only cos they just pretend to make all their stuff in house and mine that seemed to have been shipped from China most likely didn't have much in the likes of quality control... still, he's my Earnie and I love him regardless) so the sooner I brake him the better :-bd

Was only just thinking earlier today about when the BB200 'buy tickets' window opens and how on earth I'm gonna manage to get my foot in there before everyone else takes em :grin:
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Did a fat bike tour of the outer Hebrides beaches 6 years ago and bumped into a lad on North Uist touring on a fixie with huge rucksack. Particularly impressive was the plastic duck seatpack and grill strapped to frame. Thought good for him!

hebrides fixie.jpg
(153.64 KiB) Downloaded 567 times
Last edited by wriggles on Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That bike looks tiny. Was it?
May the bridges you burn light your way
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

700c wheels Stu. Think its the very low aero bars that make it look small, but then most bikes look tiny to me :lol:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:28 pm That bike looks tiny. Was it?
barney

Post by barney »

Charge plug for me, although not sure I can fit my bar bag harness on the bull horn bars! :grin:
Wait for me...
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Finally... after having had this idea in my head for a few years, I'm finally off bikepacking with my unsafety bicycle, the penny farthing. So far all went well, about 4 km to the train station. :lol:
It's been a couple of months since I rode it last, but all good and well. Took me 20 meters to feel "it" again.

On the train to Thun where I'll ride along the lakes and then go up the Grosse Scheidegg (has some flat bits, so shouldn't all be a hike-a-bike), check out some new paved roads towards First, ride down to Grindelwald, then Interlaken.
Trunks & towel packed.

Will probably use my Twitter account to share some photos.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

It's fair to say I don't think too many UK trains would be able to cope with a penny farthing.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

It's fair to say I don't think too many UK trains would be able to cope with a bike of any description.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

24 street trials bike definitely counts I guess.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

I'd like to think my Surly ECR is eminentley suitable. Unfortunatley it turns out my lungs are less so with a recent spirography test ( not the 70's mandala designing toy) showing they're only working at 79% of expected function. Which along with my inability to TLS, explains a lot about my lack of hill climbing ability. You'll find me wheezing along in Lantern Rouge position at this weekend's Jennride.
Robster

Post by Robster »

Darbeeze, maybe we will get to ride in Wales together this year after all!
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

PaulB2 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:41 pm It's fair to say I don't think too many UK trains would be able to cope with a penny farthing.
Yeah, probably not. Thankfully not much of an issue here.

Managed to ride as planned. A mix of mostly quiet roads and some gravel along the Lake Thun & Lake Brienz, then lots of pushing heading from Meiringen (600 m.a.s.l.) up to my bivy spot (2006 m.a.s.l) close to the Grosse Scheidegg.
Got free drinks at the Hotel Rosenlaui which was built during the time penny farthings were the ordinary bicycle, just because of the bike.
No traffic, not steep and incredible views of hanging glaciers and 1600 m high vertical cliffs, I knew (from many prior trips to this area) the pass road would be a good choice to take the penny into the Alps. A seventh (distance) of the climb were even rideable.
From there on it was all more or less downhill in the positive sense.

Was lovely, will do something similar again. *goes and checks maps*
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Well, according to a lot of motorists, all bikes are unsuitable.

On a more positive note, I'm changing jobs next month, so my 60 mile round trip, by car, becomes an 8 mile round trip by bike - mostly on reasonable cycle paths.
Happy days
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

I have a lovely 80's carbon Alan Road bike on 25c skinnies that is very unsuitable, also a 30+lb GT LTS 2000 that would be fine for few hours and then probably not very fine at all
Image Image
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I think my folding e-bike would be very unsuitable. It’s genuinely dreadful and a poor replacement for my now sold Tim-powered Brompton. It has nowhere to put bags and wouldn’t even take a seat bag given the size and shape of the seat post. Tiny wheels, warped discs, very heavy and a range of about 30 miles before it becomes an unpedalable dead weight. And … and … it’s basically a med sized frame and my XL sized frame does not work with it. Picture a baby elephant riding a tiny clown bike and you have an idea of it all. Count me in.
I'm just going outside ...
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Double post … how does that happen?
I'm just going outside ...