Land's End to John o' Groats Bikepacking Routes?

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

tombarber92

Land's End to John o' Groats Bikepacking Routes?

Post by tombarber92 »

Hiya guys!

I am looking at cycling C2C and Land's End to John o' Groats this year, or as I explain it to non-cycling enthusiasts the length and breadth of the UK in one summer. :grin:

I actually found my way onto this website as I was looking at lighter tent options for bikepacking and Bivi bag options for the LEJOG route.

I won't be looking at rushing the LEJOG route, I'll be looking to stay at campsites along the way and see nice things along the way.

If any of you have a recommended route you could share, it would be much appreciated.
Lazarus

Re: Land's End to John o' Groats Bikepacking Routes?

Post by Lazarus »

Welcome to the forum

Road or off road?
Straight /quick or meandering?

Personally I would go through Wales as it means going to each part of the mainland but its certainly notgoingtobe the quickest route.

GBDuoro
Daves LEJOG route

Coast to coast depends on where you are starting [scotland england or wales]but again multiple routes and level of difficulty- pretty sure the Scottish one is the easiest/shorter one.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Lazarus wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:16 pm Welcome to the forum

Road or off road?
Straight /quick or meandering?

Personally I would go through Wales as it means going to each part of the mainland but its certainly notgoingtobe the quickest route.

GBDuoro
Daves LEJOG route

Coast to coast depends on where you are starting [scotland england or wales]but again multiple routes and level of difficulty- pretty sure the Scottish one is the easiest/shorter one.
There's a Scottish one you can do C2C2C easily in a day. Not sure it counts as length and breadth of the "country" though. Surely that's much further than even any English one (even discounting islands).
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

The shortest possible is in Scotland - actually I think there are a few shorter than any in england or wales

Great glen way and solway to firth of forth are both shorter than whitehaven to sunderland and also the other versions eg Lytham st annes to sarborough is the shortest and least climby I know - but very unpleasant after Harrogate on whatever A road that is - n its all road.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Lazarus wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:00 pm The shortest possible is in Scotland - actually I think there are a few shorter than any in england or wales

Great glen way and solway to firth of forth are both shorter than whitehaven to sunderland and also the other versions eg Lytham st annes to sarborough is the shortest and least climby I know - but very unpleasant after Harrogate on whatever A road that is - n its all road.
Ardgay to Ullapool :wink:

https://www.blog.scotroutes.com/2015/07 ... -idle.html
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Barely worth the effort :smile:

Now back to the op what type of route?
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

If it was me I'd go the the Way of the Roses as the Coast to Coast option...
tombarber92

Post by tombarber92 »

Hi all!

Thanks for your replies!

I'm looking at doing LEJOG as a mixed route as I'll be doing it on a cyclocross bike.

I'm not looking at doing the fastest route, just the most interesting that's going to keep me pedaling on.

Doing the warm up with the C2C, I was looking at doing Whitehaven to Tynemouth, as it's close-ish to me and it's nice that it goes through the Lake District.

Someone did share a similar interesting route on one of the Facebook groups but, I can't find that atm.
Boab

Post by Boab »

tombarber92 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:07 pm I'm looking at doing LEJOG as a mixed route as I'll be doing it on a cyclocross bike.

I'm not looking at doing the fastest route, just the most interesting that's going to keep me pedaling on.
You could look at using parts of the 2,000km long GBDuro route, or doing the whole thing...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
tombarber92

Post by tombarber92 »

Oooh that ride looks great!

Just a shame that it looks like they do trials for it, as I doubt I'll have time for that with my work.
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

When I did my JogLe I spent hours planning routes and the like. Then almost on the day, well actually it was the Thursday evening driving to Inverness from Bristol to get the train to Wick, I decided to ditch the route. So I put it in the bin in a services on the M6.

When I signed in at JoG I just back on the back and headed south. It was very liberating and allowed me to just go where I wanted.

My advice then is that unless you are doing something for a reason, just get on your bike and head south/north depending on which way you are going and enjoy yourself!
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Could also be worth having a look at the Pan Celtic route-

https://www.pancelticrace.com/

Edit: The current proposed route is different than the original, have a search about for the 2019 route..

https://www.pancelticrace.com/legends/2019-routes/

https://ridewithgps.com/users/1447391/routes?lang=en
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Andy Chicken Legs and Sweary Dave Barter did a CX/Gravel Lejog iirc?