Do you own an unsuitable bike?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Do you own an unsuitable bike?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Odd question perhaps but I'm wondering how many people own what they might consider to be an unsuitable bike for bikepacking?

I know that any bike can be pressed into service but how many folk have things like folders, shoppers, fix geared, butchers bikes, etc, etc. You know, the type of thing you wouldn't usually think about loading up and heading off for a few days on.

Yes, I appreciate that this will possibly end up as a 'what's an unsuitable bike' debate but you'll have to decide for yourself. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Re: Do you own an unsuitable bike?

Post by voodoo_simon »

Fat bike*

*In there before Stu :lol:
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

voodoo_simon wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:09 pm Fat bike*
yawn, knew someone would say that!

Thing is with a fat bike you get to have a smile on yer face whilst riding and you also don't feel every pebble out on the trail with the overly marketed 'gravel' bike :lol:
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

See, I never mentioned fat bikes - mainly because they're quite suitable.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Only messing Stu :wink:

Had a fat bike since 2013 (?), it’s my least used bike and therefore, probably my most unsuitable bike that I own

Very capable for bike packing but as soon as I get on a road section, I want to commit suicide rather than ride the damn thing
psling

Post by psling »

I would say my road bike. Skinny-tyred, high-geared, what we used to call racing bikes.
My personal definition of bikepacking involves some or indeed mostly off-road riding which makes that bike totally unsuitable.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

None of my bikes is my ideal bikepacking bike but even the commuter with 32mm tyres could be used on gentle off road
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

I have a stiff road bike that is fantastic for a couple of hours, then extremely uncomfortable as I found out when some enthusiastic guys in a pub accidentally convinced me to extend a quick evening loop into a through the night epic.

It also has immaculate paint that I am ashamed to say on here that I am too precious to take it on even hard gravel, and would not want luggage rubbing on it. A rucksack midweek overnighter in summer is about as far as I would go.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I don't include compulsory off-road in my definition of bikepacking so a stiff road bike might still make the cut off.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I've only used two of my four for bikepacking. Other two are a surly big dummy, would be able to take loads on that, and a Brompton. Just waiting for the right trip to use that on. I know Reg has already used his but I'd like to do a multimodal trip on mine (bus, train, maybe something water based)
atk

Post by atk »

Where do singlespeeds count on the spectrum of suitability?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Where do singlespeeds count on the spectrum of suitability?
For this purpose probably but even better if they weren't mountainbikes :wink:
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

My Whyte S150 is most unsuitable. It's a beast. Unencumbered on the downy stuff, it's a bloody rocket and I can just about pedal it up hills as it's not quite a heavy as me fully loaded for a simple bivvy night out. But I can't imagine how grindingly unsuitable it would be with a handlebar bar, a seat bag and everything else stuffed in a back pack. Shudders emoji ...
I'm just going outside ...
psling

Post by psling »

atk wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:57 pm Where do singlespeeds count on the spectrum of suitability?
As a drive system ss can be perfectly suitable and sometimes preferable. It would be the bike rather than the gears that might be unsuitable e.g. a track bike, a jump bike, or a bmx may be considered unsuitable :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I don't include compulsory off-road in my definition of bikepacking so a stiff road bike might still make the cut off.
In that case what bike is so unsuitable it cannot be ridden on tarmac?
benp1

Post by benp1 »

atk wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:57 pm Where do singlespeeds count on the spectrum of suitability?

Quite a few SS users on here. I did some trips on mine when I had it, all local though

Skinny little hipster fixie would also be fine for the right trip

I think all bikes can work, just needs the right trip
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

TheBrownDog wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:16 pm My Whyte S150 is most unsuitable. It's a beast. Unencumbered on the downy stuff, it's a bloody rocket and I can just about pedal it up hills as it's not quite a heavy as me fully loaded for a simple bivvy night out. But I can't imagine how grindingly unsuitable it would be with a handlebar bar, a seat bag and everything else stuffed in a back pack. Shudders emoji ...
I think I'm going to try bikepacking on my Orbea Rallon this year. Last time I was at Ben Alder Cottage I met three guys on long travel trail bikes and they've kind of inspired me. I'm thinking all my kit will be in a backpack rather than loading up the bike in the normal fashion and my emphasis will be on enjoying the descents as much as possible, I'll keep you posted as to how I get on. :???:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Jurassic wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:43 pm
TheBrownDog wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:16 pm My Whyte S150 is most unsuitable. It's a beast. Unencumbered on the downy stuff, it's a bloody rocket and I can just about pedal it up hills as it's not quite a heavy as me fully loaded for a simple bivvy night out. But I can't imagine how grindingly unsuitable it would be with a handlebar bar, a seat bag and everything else stuffed in a back pack. Shudders emoji ...
I think I'm going to try bikepacking on my Orbea Rallon this year. Last time I was at Ben Alder Cottage I met three guys on long travel trail bikes and they've kind of inspired me. I'm thinking all my kit will be in a backpack rather than loading up the bike in the normal fashion and my emphasis will be on enjoying the descents as much as possible, I'll keep you posted as to how I get on. :???:
Oh - there are definitely routes where a FS and a rucksack are a good choice. That descent off the Bealach Dubh is on my radar, as is the descent to Glen Ling on the Afffric Kintail Way. There's a few more Munros I might attempt with my Orbea this year too.

And the best bike for bikepacking is...
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:09 pm I don't include compulsory off-road in my definition of bikepacking so a stiff road bike might still make the cut off.
I agree that backpacking can be road as well, it is mainly that I see my road bike as inappropriate because it is uncomfortable for long periods of time and I would not want to risk the paint job with luggage abrasion. Yes I could manufacture a trip on it, but I wouldn't want to.

I do have an old mtb come urban fixie that fits the image more, but as it was the first bike I ever bikepacked on, and I keep dreaming of taking it on an exploring trip to Copenhagen, I couldn't possibly declare it unsuitable for bikepacking.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:25 am
Jurassic wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:43 pm
Oh - there are definitely routes where a FS and a rucksack are a good choice. That descent off the Bealach Dubh is on my radar, as is the descent to Glen Ling on the Afffric Kintail Way. There's a few more Munros I might attempt with my Orbea this year too.

And the best bike for bikepacking is...
I rode the Bealach Dubh on my Pinnacle Ramin with suspension forks and a dropper and it was pretty good fun, it'd be a blast with full sus (and a slack head angle). If I do that again I'd be conflicted whether to do an out and back from Dalwhinnie (which would be great and is what those guys did) or HAB the Bealach Bawbag to see what the descent off the other side of that is like.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Singlespeed suggested on here :shock: Good job I'm not easily offended :lol:

Here's one of my singlespeeds...

Skinny tyres - check

one cog - check (obviously)

bottle mounts - negative :roll: Yep, who builds a bike without mounts...!

Bars narrower than my hips - oh yeah

https://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gadg ... -green.jpg
jameso

Post by jameso »

I have a Brompton? It has a front bag that clips on and I adapted a rear Vaude bag/frame rack thing to be QR and work with the fold. Had ideas of travel-packing and seeing places that a folding bike might help with, ie more stops than pedalling. Maybe visiting a few cathedrals by bike and train because I like the architecture. Something like that. So not really unsuitable, but certainly erring towards the touring oddball side of it all :grin:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Oddball?? Reg??? Hah! :wink:

I refer the honourable gentleman to last night's BaM post :-bd

Whyte S150 most unsuitable? Nah, once did the Winter Event on my Canyon AL+ 150 due to last-second up-cocks with the P7. I had a lovely time.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
jameso

Post by jameso »

My old Genesis Day One SS maybe,
ImageIMAG3195 by james*o, on Flickr

This was pretty unsuitable but also good. SS drop bar all-road bikes can be the worst - undergeared on road, overgeared off road, but at the time I was riding this part-binner it was so good just twiddling around the lanes and byways.

It also did a few road 100-mile day weekenders on it with this build, also a bit silly but very nice to cruise along on.

ImageIMAG3057 by james*o, on Flickr

Hardly fits the category Stu describes though.
Last edited by jameso on Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The reason I asked the question is that I'm considering putting an event / ride together and the notion of riders doing it on 'unsuitable' bikes appeals to me. It doesn't appeal because I'm some sort of sadist but because I think it would be fun and maybe add to the element of dare I say - adventure.

A road bike you're terrified of scratching is obviously unsuitable but may not be a practical proposition in this case. :wink: