Do I want a Geared Hub?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

Do I want a Geared Hub?

Post by dlovett »

What are the pro's and cons of a geared hub over a standard derailer based system? What ones to look at and what ones to avoid?

I'm getting fed up with the state of my bike in the winter, with dirt and wear and I am wondering if a geared hub might be better

Cheers

d
ton

Re: Do I want a Geared Hub?

Post by ton »

every winter, I go through this very dilemma.

only one I would buy is the rohloff but I fear my bike swapping antics too much to make the purchase
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Yes you do....
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
yes you do.

I got my first (now on 2 for me, 1 for my wife) Rohloff in 1999.
I still use that unit on my main bike.
It has been across 3 continents of the world.
Backward compatibility means it’s gathered a disk brake and some other improvements over the years.
It has been on 3 frames. It’s been on flat and drop bars.
It runs through mud and flood and whatever. It never fails to change gear as and when I want. Pedalling, stopped or pedalling backwards.
I change the oil once per year. Takes maybe 15mins. I change the sprocket every few years. Mostly as i’ve changed ratios. Chains last ages.
It’s heavier than most set ups these days but compares to an MTB 3x system in weight.
Some say they are sluggish. I’m a deisel (maybe steam!) so I don’t care about that.
The upfront cost is eye watering but you get some true solid state, made to last, precision engineering that will last probably for as long as you live or ride bikes.
Other opinions are available :grin:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I want an internal hub. In which case, you do too.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I've run and still have various Alfine (11 and 8 speed). Never used a Rohloff.

If I were to only have one bike I'd have it with conventional mech's.

Hard to pinpoint why but I think conventional is just a bit more immediate, better balanced (weight-wise) and nicer.

I don't have to only have one bike though, so I don't have to make that choice, which is nice for me :wink:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Alfine...
Buying an IGH from Shimano reminds me somewhat of buying a meat-free Whopper from Burger King.
They’ll make one and sell it to you because they want to make money not because they really believe in the product.
:wink:
WSC
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Yes... can you gets me one too
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I've ridden 8 speed Alfines on two different bikes.

One was utterly neglected. The chain was so worn it kept falling off (even though the tension seemed good), and the cable so corroded that the return spring in the system wasn't strong enough to allow shifting into lower gears. At every uphill, I had to get off and manually pull the cable through. Eventually I found an acceptable ratio and treated the bike like SS. I hated it.

The second hub was recently serviced, and according to the LBS, running as sweet as an Alfine ever does. It felt dull, and shifted poorly. I hated it.
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

I have a rohloff on my hardtail and think they are great for winter riding. I never touch it and it just keeps working. The only drawbacks, as mentioned above, are upfront cost and, for me, the fact that you have to back off the pedals slightly to change gear. Although used to it, I prefer the change with a derailleur. Worth it for me for lack of maintenance through the winter.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

mje25 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:39 pm The only drawbacks, as mentioned above, are upfront cost and, for me, the fact that you have to back off the pedals slightly to change gear.
For me, I don’t even realise i’m backing off. It’s similar to getting used to clipless pedals. At first you consciously clip out, eventually you are just taking your foot off the pedal
WSC
redefined_cycles

My Q is... do they come in road bike flavour or is that just a silly Q as its no ppint. My road bike chain does get rather folthy and needs cleaning regular (from muck and mud and grime :???: )
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Singlespeed for winter, cheap as chips, reliable and good fun too.

£20 my last SS drivetrain cost me compared to £1000++ for Rohloff
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Get yourself a nice Sturmy 3spd :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:25 pm Get yourself a nice Sturmy 3spd :-bd
Rather that than Alfine.
WSC
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:57 pm My Q is... do they come in road bike flavour or is that just a silly Q as its no ppint. My road bike chain does get rather folthy and needs cleaning regular (from muck and mud and grime :???: )
Yes road - but it depends on what you want to achieve.
I’m running one with drop bars very nicely just now. It’s my Fargo so not really roadie road :grin:
I had one on a sportier set up that I did audax rides with. Worked well there also.
If you wanted one for club runs or performance road riding then I don’t think an IHG is what you want.
I’m using a Giles Berthoud drop bar shifter which is good. CoMotion also do one.
I tried a Rohbox for a year or so. It allows you to run road STI brifters with the Rohloff. I wanted to love it as I had been hankering after one for ages. It was pretty dismal in use though. Very awful feel and only one or two shifts per lever actuation. Not nearly good enough for anything than plodding on a commute. The other options mean taking your hand off the drops to shift, not entirely appealing at first but absolutely fine in practice.
WSC
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:25 pm Get yourself a nice Sturmy 3spd :-bd
Do you still have the duomatic Stu? I have one on a bike and like it.

Also got a 5 speed srf5w sat in a box that I used for while after a knee injury, must dig that out and ebay it.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

I have one - on my Brompton. :-bd
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Do you still have the duomatic Stu?
I do. Don't really use that bike much but it always makes me smile when I do. I'm surprised that you still can't get the disc version over here. I got mine from the US and at the time SA Europe didn't believe that it existed when I inquired ... maybe they still don't? :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:46 pm I'm surprised that you still can't get the disc version over here. I got mine from the US and at the time SA Europe didn't believe that it existed when I inquired ... maybe they still don't? :wink:
According to the SA website even my non coaster brake non disc version doesn't exist!
redefined_cycles

I just checked pricing (after the inditcation on here) and remembered why I dont need nor want one... :lol: :o
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

Aha! IGH's! An engineer's dream...sort of! I have bikes with all systems, derailleurs,IGH,and working to a pinion.
2spd SRAM auto...lethal,steer clear!
3spd SA,GB ... reliable, keep well oiled.
4spd nexus,noisey,rough,regrease every 4-5yrs.
7spd nexus, reliable,regrease every 4-5yrs, easy task.
8spd nexus, rough action in some gears , reliable, service as above but more oily mix.
8spd alfine,smoother than nexus version,not everyone's experience though looking at forums.
11spd alfine,very smooth,(better than rohloff) I like the rapidfire style shifter! Service easy,Change oil .
Rohloff 14spd,very reliable, noisy in lower 7 gears,easy service,oil change with oil flush first. I have two!
Some of the above bikes have gates belt drive.
Excellent for commuting, lower maintenance than chains. Just wash belt and sprockets with toothbrush.
I personally can recommend IGH for commuting,touring ,MTB ,gr....w.....g and training.
I also MTB on belt drive,but keep an eye on belt wear,
However,if you're a weight weenie....stick with derailleurs!! :cry:
Insanity over vanity
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

lune ranger wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:51 pm
mje25 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:39 pm The only drawbacks, as mentioned above, are upfront cost and, for me, the fact that you have to back off the pedals slightly to change gear.
For me, I don’t even realise i’m backing off. It’s similar to getting used to clipless pedals. At first you consciously clip out, eventually you are just taking your foot off the pedal
With my rohloff I’d time the shifts to the top of the pedal stroke, after a while as you say it jus becomes instinctual. The other thing is don’t judge a new rohloff, much like a brooks they are nicely run in when the competition is worn out.
Miss mine a lot, the reassurance of a bomb proof drivetrain and very low maintenance are definitely worth the entry cost. Given the SRAM XX1 Eagle cassettes cost £300 you could argue that the rohloff is a bargain :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark