Escape Goat

Prong > Lauf

Post by Escape Goat »

Really considering these for my 29+

If I'm rigid, I may as well?
redefined_cycles

Re: Prong > Lauf

Post by redefined_cycles »

Allen... dont just assume that they dont come with their share of problems. Thats a hefty investment (when the problems come with it)... the problems (few and far between they might be) can be found from real world reportson tinternet...
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Depends what you want I suppose. Lauf are more comfortable and the travel means you'll be able to ride faster and more aggressively (and have more fun) on the downhills. A rigid fork will give you a planted front end and be maybe 300g lighter, so you'll feel a bit better on the climbs. They'll be cheaper too.

I switched from rigid carbon (Niner) to Lauf and won't go back for distance riding.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Thanks for your input gents. Shaf, have you got a link to the issues? Saying thst, everything ever made in volume at some point has broken and someone has taken to the Web to mention it. We push out bikes hard, so kinda inevitable.

Also, bit heavier than prong but could smooth out some trail buzz. Don't really want to invest in some new suspension forks, they're too expensive. Some Lauf went on ebay for 370 ish yesterday, so investment costs could be quite low...
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I'd be very tempted at that price

Check the weight rating on them - there's a light version and regular version. I think you're a similar size to me so you'll want the regular.

The only issue you can have with them is the spring becoming detached from the stanchion - it's a throwing in the skip job when that happens. It happened on the first set i bought, also second (actually third) hand for about the same price. By that point I'd put about 7000km on them and was so impressed I bought a brand new pair.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I'll probably get em direct from upgrade so I have a warranty on them I think. I've seen heard and done more to suspension forks, I do take the negative comments about products with a pinch of salt usually, because I know there's usually more positive comments that haven't made it to the Web.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Aren't we forgetting something here :lol:

Couldn't help myself, it's a while since Greg's puking gnome has made an appearance :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
redefined_cycles

Allen.. no need for a link... if they're good enough for Dave then they're good enough i spose... I'm not sure theyre3my sort of thing though as i like riding steps (cos I'm rubbish at owt else) and i imagine that'd break em pretty soon :smile:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Off the top of my head I know four people with Lauf forks. Two have had problems, two haven't. Of the two that have had problems, one might have been due to his riding style and/or incorrect fitting :oops: - the forks snapped at the crown race.

For gravel style routes I think they'd be great - of course that's what they were designed for - rock gardens not so much.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

sean_iow wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:11 pm Aren't we forgetting something here :lol:

Couldn't help myself, it's a while since Greg's puking gnome has made an appearance :grin:

I've not met him yet!
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Had mine just over four years, first real test was Tour Aotearoa and always been happy with them and no issues. As above not great in rock gardens but on gravel or the roads around here they are fine.

I seem to recall they came with a five year guarantee so I would hope any problem would be fixed.
Mart

Post by Mart »

whitestone wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:46 pm forks snapped at the crown race.
I seem to remember ...
Didn’t that happen to someone on the tour divide

Can’t remember who tho

Edit: a bit of googling shows it was Ben Steurbaut in 2017. a pretty catastrophic failure :o

http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/ultra- ... 12991/220/
2924 miles per Gallon
redefined_cycles

Escape Goat wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:55 am I'll probably get em direct from upgrade so I have a warranty on them I think. I've seen heard and done more to suspension forks, I do take the negative comments about products with a pinch of salt usually, because I know there's usually more positive comments that haven't made it to the Web.
Hold on one sec... How much do they pay at bike shops these days where you only get 5 days off per year :lol:
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

:lol:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Blackhound wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:10 pm Had mine just over four years, first real test was Tour Aotearoa and always been happy with them and no issues. As above not great in rock gardens but on gravel or the roads around here they are fine.

I seem to recall they came with a five year guarantee so I would hope any problem would be fixed.
Agreed but it's a lifetime warranty to the original buyer.

Some early 29er Trail Racer forks (discontinued now), were very spongy and some leaf springs de-laminated. Unfortunately is was some of the earlier test riders and racers who this happened to.

To my knowledge the haven't had any problems for the last several years on the current line up.

But as you know I'm biased and I have several sets...... from the very first batch of the Carbonara fat bike forks to the first batch of the Grit gravel forks and I can honestly say that I've never had a moments trouble with any of them.
Mike

Post by Mike »

:-bd big thumbs up for me to the grit fork...bloody love em. Turned the camino into a much nicer ride. Will i go back to rigid....NOPE
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Thanks again all.

Interesting views, comments and experiences.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

I think you’ll get two different perspectives on Lauf.

1. Suspicion or derision, mostly based on the aesthetic, from the spectators.
2. Complete satisfaction from those who have used them.

I’m in the second group, and would also never go back to rigid on anything <2.8” rubber.

They have their issues, mainly on steep bumpy terrain, where you have to slow down a bit to maintain control, but for everything else, especially proper long, multi-day rides, they are game-changers.
Boab

Post by Boab »

I'd love to try a pair of the Grit SL, but I just think of what else £760 could get me... 😧
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yeah, group 3. Those who can't afford to spunk that sort of cash on a set of forks regardless of where they stand on 1. or 2.
redefined_cycles

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:13 am Yeah, group 3. Those who can't afford to spunk that sort of cash on a set of forks regardless of where they stand on 1. or 2.
I'll plant myself firmly in this group please...
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:50 am
ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:13 am Yeah, group 3. Those who can't afford to spunk that sort of cash on a set of forks regardless of where they stand on 1. or 2.
I'll plant myself firmly in this group please...
Me that too...
I know what £700 on forks would get me...
a kick in the shins from Mrs Ranger
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Yeah I am in group 3, but I would love to try a pair on both my Camino and Broken road.

Oddly I used to think they were horrifically fugly but am not bothered by the looks now.

As anyone tried them and not got on with them?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've seen a few come up for sale 2nd hand on the Fatbike groups but that could be a special case.

Personally, I've no reason to doubt they work. But by christ they are offensive to look at.😊
Mart

Post by Mart »

lune ranger wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:52 am
Me that too...
I know what £700 on forks would get me...
a kick in the shins from Mrs Ranger
Only the shins … your lucky!
2924 miles per Gallon