ROVANIEMI 300

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Taylor

ROVANIEMI 300

Post by Taylor »

I’m sure some of you have seen the wildcat posts on Facebook recently about Mr Barrington being in Finland.
He’s booked himself in for the 300 this year.
If anybody’s interested you can follow the hardy souls/loons on trackleaders,

http://trackleaders.com/rovaniemi20f.php
voodoo_simon

Re: ROVANIEMI 300

Post by voodoo_simon »

Super! Didn’t realise they (ie the race) were using track leaders (is it a first), so I’ll be tuned in for this week and the next few days after :grin:

Good luck to Ian :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

They use it on the 300 only. Good luck all, looked like the 300 was a bit of a schlep compared to the 150.....
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I knew Ian was doing it but when I looked at the list of entrants there were a couple of names I recognised (as will you Phil).

Will Robertson who was fourth on the 150 last year is doing it.

Contantijn Weber was one of the presenters/instructors on the training camp in Geilo the other week.

Réné Albisser was the guy I rode with to the finish on the Rovaniemi 150 three years ago.

Marco Vitti was riding with Maurizio Doro on the 300 last year.

On the 150 there's Jean Yves Even on foot who came second (on a bike) on this year's Fat Viking.

I think when Ian did the 150 a few of the riders had trackers because I remember it was one of the first spot watching races I'd seen.
Last edited by whitestone on Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Ian

Post by Ian »

Thanks folks.

Minus 14 here this morning, but warming up to above zero with snow flurries by tomorrow night. Going to be interesting conditions to race in.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

First check of Track leaders and Ian is in 2nd place.
Go on Ian
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Looks like the early part of the route is fast - the first few riders were at CP2 quicker than I got to that point when doing the 150 last year but they are carrying extra kit and food as they aren't allowed to restock anywhere along the route*. There's no way anyone would be doing 16km/h along Sinettajarvi lake in last year's conditions. The leader won last year's 150 in 12hrs so is pretty quick.

Some of the trackers seem a bit intermittent (apart from the river and lakes the route is in forest) so I wouldn't worry about lack of updates.

*This is really cruel as they do a circuit around the outskirts of Rovaniemi but aren't allowed to visit the shops!
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

htrider wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:53 pm They use it on the 300 only. Good luck all, looked like the 300 was a bit of a schlep compared to the 150.....
Can’t remember there being a group track leaders when I did the 300 in 2017 but then my mind is like a sieve :lol: Do remember setting up an individual tracking page for it
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:20 am
htrider wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:53 pm They use it on the 300 only. Good luck all, looked like the 300 was a bit of a schlep compared to the 150.....
Can’t remember there being a group track leaders when I did the 300 in 2017 but then my mind is like a sieve :lol: Do remember setting up an individual tracking page for it
I only saw it after I got back. What put me off the 300 was the very close spacing of the dots on the loop out of rov = lots of pushing.

Will Robertson lives just down the road from me but I've yet to bump into him. -14? Sigh.... I'm off out into +8 and heavy rain
PS, its a weekend earlier this year isnt it?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Phil, I think the majority of the waypoints are laavus. If they are then it makes sense to have them as points of interest. Looking at the rules, the four after the end of the 150 are to ensure riders keep to the river. Also waypoint 29 onwards are on the 66km route. Simon should be able to confirm about the laavu/waypoint connection.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I only saw it after I got back. What put me off the 300 was the very close spacing of the dots on the loop out of rov = lots of pushing.
Do you mean button pushing or proper pushing?

yeah there are a lot of checkpoints but think it works out on average 1 every 10km, I know it gives the race organiser some peace of mind

I think the majority of the waypoints are laavus
Most of them are, although some of them are after some dangerous sections (for want of a better word), where the rider may have exited a water feature or through known section of soft snow

- - -

According to the wifey (via facebook), its starting to snow, so progress will slow down.

Good to see Ian doing so well, he'll be battling it out with the 150 crew with his times. Also on a personal note, good to see Tobias doing well too (3rd), he's a great athlete and is a very focused person. He finished in 2017 in 2 days 13 hours, no doubt he'll be out to beat that!

God dammit it, I miss this race. Roll on 2021...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:24 pm
Do you mean button pushing or proper pushing?

God dammit it, I miss this race. Roll on 2021...
As in bikepushing - if you looked at a persons track (I was following Doro Maurizio) the dots (which are at 10 minute intervals) were very close together = very slow = pushing :-bd

Having told my self I wouldn't do it again, I do sort of echo your last comment Simon.....
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Looks like Ian spent about fifty minutes in the hut at Kuusilampi. Since he'd another 220km to go at that point it's no bad thing. Probably worth stopping a while at the Porohovi checkpoint since that's the last one on the 150km so he might as well take advantage of the fire - I only caught the 2017 winner of the 300 race there as that's what he was doing. I quite like CP7 as it feels properly remote.

The other guy at CP7 is the Swiss guy I managed to beat in 2017, Réné Albisser.

The SPOTs seem to be playing up a bit - quite a few aren't updating for maybe an hour at a time. There's also a few that don't appear to have started. Marco Vitti came second on the 2017 Rov 150 and Constantijn has done a lot - probably a user failure to hit the "go" button. In a way it's a pity the 150 riders don't also have trackers so you can see the "traffic", an extra cost and hassle though.

Edit: Meant to ask. Simon when you did it were you allowed a drop bag at the 150km mark? I noticed it in this year's notes for the 300 and can't recall seeing it before.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Saw Ian's Strava activity... man, I still really want to do this one day if I can get fit enough again.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

150 last year but they are carrying extra kit and food as they aren't allowed to restock anywhere along the route*
Is this some sort of safety net (by the organiser) to ensure everyone has all the gear for survival in such conditions without thinking about shops on a 150km??
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Shaf, on the 150km route there are no shops. It's so empty It makes the BB200 look like a circuit of Meadowhall :grin:

The rules for the 300km route say you can't visit any shops or cafés as you go past Rovaniemi. The rules https://www.rovaniemi150.com/roi300/rules/ also say you can leave a bag with the organisers and it will be placed on the route at 150km for you to pick up. This is similar to the Iditarod Trail race where there are three such drops but in that case there's a weight limit for each bag.

Once you go beyond around 150km then these races are about surviving in the terrain first, riding a bike second (or maybe third).
Ian

Post by Ian »

Still going. Kuusilampi section was v tough with fresh snow fall during the middle of the day. Punctured just before Porohovi 2. Got a bit of a twinge in my knee, but nursing it round. Not done yet!
Riding with Tobias, too.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Thanks for the (1st hand) insight Bob... Well done Ian (you're nuts off course) :-bd
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Meant to ask. Simon when you did it were you allowed a drop bag at the 150km mark? I noticed it in this year's notes for the 300 and can't recall seeing it before.
First year for the bag drop.

Cracking pace from Ian, the next river crossing is tricky. Best done (by all accounts) in daylight, so a smart move there by Ian.

Looks like the lead rider will finish today, seems to be a non-stop effort :shock:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I was just heading to bed when I posted before so thought I'd expand a bit.

Firstly Lapland is big - 100,000 sq km which is the same size as Scotland and Wales combined and not many people live there, just 180,000, or about the population of Ipswich. Add to that a third of the population live in Rovaniemi itself and you can see that there's not a lot of folk out in the countryside.

The Rov 150 has checkpoints, mostly at laavus which translates as "lean to" but they are a sort of open sided shed with benches and a fire pit in front. Some of them are temporary tent/tarp setups just there for the race. The one in the photo below isn't on the route but gives you an idea.

Those later along the (150) route also have an extra shelter with a sleeping platform so if you want to get your head down for an hour or two you don't have to bivy out by the trail.

On the 150 you have to sign in and out of the checkpoints. There's a fire at each with cold and hot water but no food. You are expected to have all your food with you for the race.

The second half of the 300 route has waypoints, for these the competitors just have to get within 50 metres or so and ensure that their tracker logs it.

On the 150 there are snowmobiles patrolling the route and checking up on competitors, in fact the route is prepared by snowmobiles creating the track you ride on. On the second half of the 300 it's not patrolled but there may be snowmobile tracks from whoever's out in the forests, these may or may not be useful.

Anyway if it snowed yesterday the tracks today will be slow going - looking at the dots 4 & 5kmh seems to be the current average. That's another 20hrs or so for Ian.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

It’s 8.30 local time and Ian has 55km (+ ~10km) to go, maybe an all nighter in the cards to secure the podium?

Either way, good luck and stay safe :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
Good this. I had a chat with Alex (Race organiser) last year about using spots and apparently the accuracy is poor as the satellites are too far south to get accurate fixes.
FLV

Post by FLV »

I'd like to do the 150, maybe further one day.
But.. have never been able to justify a fatbike.

I take it 29x3.0 is no good? Is 26x4 the tyre? Or is even bigger better?

Ta
gairym

Post by gairym »

FLV wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:04 pm I take it 29x3.0 is no good? Is 26x4 the tyre? Or is even bigger better?

Ta
My 29+ (3" tyres on 52mm rims) is plenty good enough for ~80% of the snowy/wintry riding I do around here BUT I'd not risk it on something like that (especially in the changeable conditions of recent years).

It's right at the top of my list of events to do and you can sure that I'll be taking my full-fat behemoth (5" tyres on 90mm rims)*.

Next year.....

[*though I'd probably a pair of 4" tyres too if it looked like it'd be fast rolling and perfectly frozen the whole time]
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

For something like this you can never have too much tyre. In 2019 on a plus bike you'd have only been able to ride the first and last 11k, and the road sections (around 25k)