Jay Petervary : Bikepacking's Bad Boy or Ambassador ?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Lazarus

Re: Jay Petervary : Bikepacking's Bad Boy or Ambassador ?

Post by Lazarus »

i think we all just read way to much into social medai stuff. We dont now the people and I think JP was trying to keep the tour special and I think Lael- if you read everything is actually praising her and admiring her. i I think she views her as "not a racer" but a finisher who enjoys the events and admires it rather than she means to diss what she has done

Its easy to take one quote and do with it what you want on social media and without really knowing the people you can never really know whether it was genuine and mispoke or out of context or a deliberate dig/underplaying of her ablities/achievements

I dont think it was the later personally
I also feel a bit sorry for JP in all this as none of us really know the facts - is their actual proof he cheated? IT just seems all weknown now is Lael is more popular than him on the internet. We dont have that many verifiable facts o work with - though his point about it being a boost has to be true.
Social media just seems to be like the modern equivalent of a knee jerk burn the witch hysteria[ and i have certainly got involved in some of them :oops: ]
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I missed the social media mess, I miss a lot on social these days as I don't spend more than a few minutes a day on it. I heard of it through Laels video. The video. Since then I've not searched or looked too deep into it, just what these two say happened.

I'm still yet to read Laels partners letter to JP.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Good podcast, interesting. He seems like a genuine guy. Maybe his only mistake was (quite justifiably imo) questioning something based on race history and ethics and it turning into a storm he and Salsa couldn't control once the armchair opinionators got hold of it. Salsa didn't want the association whether it was fair or not - trial by social media - or maybe think sponsored riders shouldn't create any controversy. Controversy over race ethics is ok imo. It's healthy.

He seems very pragmatic about the changes that have come about through eg smart phones and the growth of the scene, you can't have that perspective without experience. And accepting change doesn't mean throwing out or ignoring where things came from.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

This whole stramash led me to the Mike Curiak letter. He comes across as a real tosser.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'll admit to having no great interest in this, after all it has no bearing on my life whatsoever. Both parties are superb riders and I'm sure both have their own reasons for doing what they do. We shouldn't forget that both gained public recognition because they were good. It wasn't just handed to them one day.

However, I kind of digress and what I'd really to to do is second this
accepting change doesn't mean throwing out or ignoring where things came from.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:32 pm This whole stramash led me to the Mike Curiak letter. He comes across as a real tosser.
Curiak or Petervary? :wink:
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Oh no he di'nt! :lol:
Karl

Post by Karl »

Really enjoyed the podcast. It's great to get an (biased) insight into the person and the tour divide controversy. He's a great rider, can't take that away from him. Lael's podcast in 2 episodes earlier.

I will say that JP has had a career for many years doing this brand ambassador gig so that must stand for something. Time will tell how long Lael's career will be, although I wouldn't put my money on her.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:21 am #MakeBikepackingShitAgain.
That'll make a great sticker :lol:
May you always have tail wind.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Quite enjoyed listening to Jay P talk, don’t normally do podcasts but thought Gear Junkie did well. Flowed pretty well.

Have also listened to most of the Lael Wilcox interview on the same channel and enjoyed it too :-bd

Both are heading out to Morocco, so someone from here will have to stand between them... :lol:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Mike Curiak letter. He comes across as a real tosser.
The bit that gets me is two of the claims involve an unamed rider other rider- why has he just named him when there should be proof - the drafting and the lift ones.
The real issue is their is no evidence here just internet rants whihc proof nothing more than what the internet is like. I am none the wiser but we do know filmingon the tour is definetly against the rules [and the film is obviously not denied] and yet he gets all the abuse and loss of his trade. Popularity, not truth, is the currencey of the net.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Popularity, not truth, is the currencey of the net.
I believe you win the internet today John.
May the bridges you burn light your way