Great North Trail

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gloryhallelujahAl

Great North Trail

Post by gloryhallelujahAl »

Am starting to do sections of the GNT - anyone else done it?
https://www.cyclinguk.org/route/great-n ... cape-wrath
Sanguis et Ignis
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Great North Trail

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm in the early planning stages.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'm sure that, between us, BB will have done all of that trail.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

It passes within a couple of miles of my house south of Selkirk in the Ettrick Valley and within a few feet of my office in Hermiston Gate, Edinburgh. Might have to get the train in one day in the summer and ride home with a bivi :cool:

Cape Wrath is on my list but not sure if I wouldn't just rather walk up there.
gloryhallelujahAl

Post by gloryhallelujahAl »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:59 am I'm in the early planning stages.
Just started recce-ing sections and making plans myself. Am doing middleton top to Hebden bridge (the first section) weekend 14th Feb 😄
Sanguis et Ignis
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:39 am I'm sure that, between us, BB will have done all of that trail.
I can account for at least Alston to Hawick, plus a few other sections.

If I'm not mistaken, their's a BB jersey on show in the route guide (in the link), page 63 (I was trying to figure out why the route diverts around Lambley Viaduct, since I thought you could ride across it - I certainly have in the past).
Chew

Post by Chew »

gloryhallelujahAl wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:14 pmAm doing middleton top to Hebden bridge (the first section) weekend 14th Feb 😄
Theres a much more interesting route between Diggle and Hebden if the ground is dry/frozen if you're interested?
GirlBikeVan

Post by GirlBikeVan »

I fancy having a go at this next year. What planning do you do? I mean, I understand planning around places to sleep, get food and charge technology. My thinking was you can't really plan more than 3 days ahead on a trip like this. I was thinking i'd take a leisurely 3 weeks :)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I fancy having a go at this next year. What planning do you do? I mean, I understand planning around places to sleep, get food and charge technology. My thinking was you can't really plan more than 3 days ahead on a trip like this. I was thinking i'd take a leisurely 3 weeks :)
Planning would really be more about logistics of getting to the start and returning from the finish. I personally wouldn't plan any aspect of the actual ride, like where to sleep, eat, etc.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

It really depends on when you are doing it and what accommodation you fancy. In some places you'll have little choice of the B&Bs/hostels etc and may need to book in advance. That commits you to a schedule. Bikepacking and carry all your kit gives you some flexibility.

Lots of folk do LEJOG ad hoc, booking ahead a couple of nights only, as that gives some flexibility for schedule amendments.

"Charging your technology" certainly shouldn't be a driving factor. Minimise use and maximise on-board charging either via a dynamo, power bank or selecting devices that run off AA batteries.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:59 am I personally wouldn't plan any aspect of the actual ride, like where to sleep, eat, etc.
Been said before, but some of us just ain't wired that want Stu. My anxiety prevents me from that type of freedom. I need to know where all the shops/cafes etc are, their opening times etc. Currently planning another Hebridean Way and I have the first couple of days mapped out in some detail, with a rough idea for the rest (and that's a place I know pretty well :grin: ).
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Been said before, but some of us just ain't wired that way Stu
Sorry Colin, I suppose what I should say is - as little planning as you're willing to accept. Obviously everyone is different in this regard but as you say yourself, minimising it where possible will usually open up your options.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I think it was Greg May (of this parish) who noted something along the lines of: "You can plan the first day to the nth degree then it all goes out of the window".

I'd make notes of cafés, pubs, shops and their distance along the route along with opening times, especially for the more remote areas. Possibly find some just off route as well just in case. After that just go with the flow and use your current speed, condition and weather conditions to figure out when/if you'll get to that shop when it's open.

As for charging electronics. Figure out your usage and what's important then go from there. I don't do the whole social media tripe so my phone is usually in airplane mode unless I'm actually making a call. I wrote this blog piece a couple of years ago - http://bobwightman.blogspot.com/2018/08 ... onics.html - I reckoned that even at fairly low speeds (<12kmh) I could keep everything I needed charged.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

whitestone wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:10 am I don't do the whole social media tripe
And yet, here you are :lol:
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 am
whitestone wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:10 am I don't do the whole social media tripe
Nah! This ain't social media - this is a common interest forum. Social media is an information-gathering-for-marketing-to separate-you-from-your-money engine.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:50 pm
ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 am
Nah! This ain't social media - this is a common interest forum. Social media is an information-gathering-for-marketing-to separate-you-from-your-money engine.
I’ve bought stoves, poles, T-shirts and event entries from Stu Zuckerburg-Wright after he suckered me in
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
GirlBikeVan

Post by GirlBikeVan »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:03 am It really depends on when you are doing it and what accommodation you fancy. In some places you'll have little choice of the B&Bs/hostels etc and may need to book in advance. That commits you to a schedule. Bikepacking and carry all your kit gives you some flexibility.

Lots of folk do LEJOG ad hoc, booking ahead a couple of nights only, as that gives some flexibility for schedule amendments.

"Charging your technology" certainly shouldn't be a driving factor. Minimise use and maximise on-board charging either via a dynamo, power bank or selecting devices that run off AA batteries.
I was thinking more night lights. I'm super hardcore me and want to ride into the night!! :lol: :lol:

Not really but I feel less under pressure to get anywhere if I have a charged night light.
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

I really like my dynamo hub. I use it to charge my front light during the day.
However for a longer trip i would like a dynamo front light that could power night time riding, and then charge a powerbank during the day.
Hope this helps
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

The sinewave Beacon* is the only light i know that will do that and its over £400 to buy

It also runs off a power bank that you can charge whilst using- this was the main reason i got it.
IME A dynamo light and technical trails is not a great mix - there you are travelling along to a tricky section then you brake and there you are entering a technical section with 1/3 of the light you just had - its an interesting experience

Exposure joystick and a MTB battery kit will give 15-50 hours of light depending on lumens being used - I am sure it could be managed over three weeks to last the duration.
Power the options are
1) Dynamo
2) AA batteries and replace
3) Hotels /B & B and recharge

* I feel like i have become a brand ambassador for them over the weekend :oops: