North Downs way

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

GirlBikeVan

North Downs way

Post by GirlBikeVan »

Hi, anyone done this? Any tips or advice? The bit i'm struggling with is how to get back to Farnham to my vehicle! :shock:
Evesie

Re: North Downs way

Post by Evesie »

Rode most of NDW last year, I'm based in South Essex so not exactly blessed with local decent routes to choose when riding from home. Did Gravesend to Vigo, then NDW to Canterbury, Dover, along coast to Folkstone, back to Wye using as much off road as possible, then back along NDW to Vigo & home. Later in year then did home to Surrey hills, but not as far as Farnham. There's obviously a lot of history to the route, many old places where the pilgrims stayed etc. 100% rideable, had a few places where farmers had ploughed the path, was dry'ish when I did it, if wet the chalk will be like ice in places. Not sure about logistics on return journeys so can't help there. I fancy linking to SDW then looping back to NDW & home - perhaps try this year. Have route files if helpful.
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

You should be able to do Ashford-tonbridge-redhill-Guildford by train to get you close, then I think you could get to easy riding distance on the far borough line (not sure how far the Redhill- Guildford trains carry on in that direction). Sadly in this part of the country they trains mostly go in and out of London.

I’d consider finding somewhere to park up on the middle of that stretch and doing half of it at either end!
GirlBikeVan

Post by GirlBikeVan »

Thanks guys, I have family near Ashford so may head there at the end then train it back for my car minus bike the day after