Good winter (baggy) cycling pants: any thoughts

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Good winter (baggy) cycling pants: any thoughts

Post by redefined_cycles »

Other day riding to work in 0 degrees (+/- 2) my knees became rather cold towards the last hour when it hit minus 2 with some wind chill... Was wearing my donated (thanks again Colin) Endura Singletracks so didn't suffer too much.

Got me thinking that there surely must be a better way to commute wintery rides without having to take extra kit so led me to ask the Q (as per title)...

Would need em to have a decently tough backside (I find the Singletracks work like a second skin around the butt) but with some sort of vents should the temps start creeping too much to double figures.

Any thoughts on the matter and thanks in advance
benp1

Re: Good winter (baggy) cycling pants: any thoughts

Post by benp1 »

For commuting I just wear tights, they aren't pretty but they're very functional

On the mountain bike I've been wearing Montane Terra pants in the crappy weather. I've been recommending Keela Roadrunners to lots of people based on reviews I'd read but figured I should take the plunge myself. A couple of pairs in different sizes were delivered home today so i'll try them on and keep the one that fits best
Boab

Post by Boab »

I have a pair of Endura knee warmers that I use during the winter. If it looks like it's going below zero, then I'll throw on an old pair of Ron Hill Tracksters too. These look similar, if not quite the same as the ones I have...
https://www.endurasport.com/Windchill-I ... r/p/bE1036
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

For me cold and wet = tights. Can’t stand wet flappy trousers on a bike.
Why not tights with some light baggy shorts over the top.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I normally just wear an ancient pair of Pearl Izumi amfib tights with baggies over the top if I’m going off road
redefined_cycles

Oh how I wish I knew how to quote everyone properly and say thanks/elaborate... But I can't so I won't :smile:

The Keela seem just the job. Wonder if they'll come with vents :???:

Tights with shorts on top, seems to complex for a 4am start. What I normally do is have everything ready to depart early hence just one bottoms and then just need to think about layers on top half. Half my battle (and where I often feel I might face defeat) is getting the correct gear ready the night before. Keeping it simple to me is having as little gear to think about in terms of clothing...

Keela it might just have to be... On that note I've chickened out of tomorrows mornings commute (too much fear of black ice :o ) but will reconvene later in the week...

Thanks again everyone...
Al

Post by Al »

What about these - halfway between tights and trousers. Not flappy and very quick to dry.
I didn’t pay full price for mine, but wear them lots when it’s cold.
https://showerspass.co.uk/collections/m ... rack-pants
redefined_cycles

Al wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:05 pm What about these - halfway between tights and trousers. Not flappy and very quick to dry.
I didn’t pay full price for mine, but wear them lots when it’s cold.
https://showerspass.co.uk/collections/m ... rack-pants
Thanks Al... Will consider them also...

So far I think my mind might be set on some Keela... I think thats what Colin invested in some time ago so he might report on how he found his (Scuffers I think).

Does anyone know if the Keela Roadrunners are akin to skinny jeans or slightly more subtantial like the Endura Singetracks... Haven't quite made the leap (and most likely won't) to skinnys so Scuffers might just be the way for me (or knee warmers). Would be interesting to know if the Scuffers also have articulated knees although I think not...

Hmmm decisions decisions
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The Scuffers/Roadrunners are thinner than the Singletracks. They'll not offer any more warmth and don't have vents.

I'd say that you options are (a) wear knee/leg warmers under your Singletracks or (b) wear tights and a pair of baggy shorts/three-quarters over the top.

My current "winter" legwear was bought from Amazon on a bit of a hunch. Santic tights. Baggier than lycra, closer fitting than trousers. They are very warm though - suitable for my winter but possible too much for yours.

When it's properly cold and wet I wear Endura Stealth bib-tights.

Edit: the Santics look much like those Shower Pass but a whole lot cheaper.
redefined_cycles

Aha... Thanks so much Colin...
mikejd

Post by mikejd »

@scotroutes - ref. Santic tights on Amazon. How do you find the sizing on these? Looking at their size charts I could be anything from M to XL.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Asian sizing, so you might go up a size from normal. I usually wear a Medium. Mine are labelled "Asian L" AND "USA/EU M" and are fine. They're not a cycling-lycra fit, more like Tracksters etc.
ton

Post by ton »

re the Keela roadrunners. I have used nothing else for the last6/7 years.
I find them far better than any endura stuff.
they are comfier, stretchier, they dry quicker, they are very well made, and don't fall apart.
and the sizing is very good. they do short and long fittings, and a proper bloke size waist is available too.

also use Keela lightning waterproof trouser, which again are great.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

The roadrunners have vents. I ordered a 32 long and 34 long. Former fits waist fine but thighs are too restrictive. Later is much better in the legs and longer too. Vents seem ok, on a par with montane terra, maybe slightly smaller, but it's a slimmer cut which is nice. Will keep latter, I like the reflective bits on the back of the legs. They're a nice slim cut actually, decent value too. Strange inner zip pocket inside the belt, seems odd. Reckon they'll take longer to dry than the montane terra pants but they're stretchy which is a big upside
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just how 'off' is the sizing on the Santic stuff. Looking at their chart, they list XXL as having a 30" waist ... can't be right can it?
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I bought mine from this link.

Santic Cycling Trousers Mens Cycling Pants,Bike Pants Bike Trousers Windproof Sports Pants for Men Black EU M https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M9GPWD1/ ... qEbWW6QKZV

And used the sizing chart within.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That's the one I'm looking at Colin.

May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

redefined_cycles

Seems you need to filtee for the Prime option.. or else its a chinese-chinese-chinese copy... :lol:
AlexGold

Post by AlexGold »

Good thread, I'm currently commuting in Endura Humvees but those Keela look tempting. Are they cut tight, or would be 'sprinter's build' amongst us have a chance of getting in them without sizing up?
mikejd

Post by mikejd »

Santic trousers just delivered. Ordered size EU M despite the measurements shown in the size chart. Label says EU M, Asian L. Nice fit for me, 5' 9" 34" waist.
Gummikuh

Post by Gummikuh »

I have a few pairs of Madison shorts and trousers and have been really impressed.

What about these?

https://www.freewheel.co.uk/madison-zen ... armcl19w04