Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

turned down a chance to see the Cure for £4 when I was at poly 30 years ago on the principle that I wasn't going to pay to go in my own poly's student union. In retrospect what a nobber I was.
I genuinelly believe the 4 quid was better in your pocket.
May the bridges you burn light your way
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Good work Reg, I’ve only taught two people how to ride a bike, my stepdaughter and my son.
When I say taught I mean encouraged them to persevere with the near impossible task of balancing and steering a bicycle. For instance to turn left you actually have to initially turn right slightly! There then ensures a delicious moment of instability which pitches the machine onto an inclined plane, now obviously we have a problem gravity wants to smash us into the ground but the centrifugal force from our cornering somehow magically balances this, as the corner flattens out we gently relinquish control and the natural order return us to an upright path.

The impossibility if riding bicycles was proven in a video a saw recently, some fella learned how to ride one of those reverse steering bikes, it took him several months and after he cracked it he went back to a normal bike, he looked like a child on it’s first outings.

To give that gift to people is a special thing, nice one Chris :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

It was! I was in my bivvy with beers and food :-bd
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Well Reg you are in for a treat. Even had Dig that Groove Babe in the setlist. I cried during Dougie Giro
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
RIP

Post by RIP »

:-bd :-bd . Glad you had a fantastic time! Down the front? Did you catch any souvenirs?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

A couple of days early, but this raised a chortle:
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/p ... a-21534016

I hope Stu's getting some royalties...
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:32 pm
turned down a chance to see the Cure for £4 when I was at poly 30 years ago on the principle that I wasn't going to pay to go in my own poly's student union. In retrospect what a nobber I was.
I genuinelly believe the 4 quid was better in your pocket.
I'll not usually argue with you chief but on this you are wrong, wrong, wrong. Each to their own and all that.

Saw them on their Disintegration tour in London c.1989 or 90. vaguely exciting.

And looking for Wombles on Wimbledon is not something triggered by alcohol alone, in my opinion :lol:
techno

Post by techno »

Friday will be cheery for me. I've taken the afternoon off work so i can ride my bike in daylight :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Enjoy the ride 'Tech.

Apparently it's Reg's birthday today. He's going Rezilloing tonight to try and stay young, followed by a kip in a wood or a shed, which won't do the old rheumatism any good.

The Hippopotamus gave me a nice present - a wooden automaton kit which makes a drummer with a drumkit. Maybe I could construct it quickly today and take it to the Rezillos. They could use it if their stick man doesn't turn up.

Anyway, the best bit about the kit is I read the small print assiduously - that's the sort of entertainment that pleases me at 61 - and it transpires that it was designed by Eric Williamson of Llanbrynmair. So that immediately transported me 200 miles WNW for a few moments to BBB Central, a nice little random connection which also gave me huge free pleasure - the best sort of present.
Last edited by RIP on Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Happy birthday Reg.

Yes Eric - his daughter now runs the model company. Have you visited the cafe in Llanbrynmair? It's full of Eric's models, some are true works of art.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ta.

No I do need to visit the cafe - ridiculous that I haven't yet. Apologies, can't remember her name but is she doing WRT nosh again this year? (not that I saw any of it last time since some cad stole, yes stole, my vburger).

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Happy Birthday Reg
RIP wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:27 am ...some cad stole, yes stole, my vburger).
Try not to get too worked up about these things, at your age you need to keep calm or risk a failure of the old ticker :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

:lol: . Yes but this is FOOD. You're right of course, as age progresses you get more and more fixated on minutae and absolutely-petty 'annoyances'. I'm very alert to the first time I hear a noise outside the house and pull the curtain aside very slightly just to see who's doing whatever it is deliberately to annoy me. It can't be far off now.

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

:YMPARTY: :YMPARTY: :YMPARTY:

You are now officially older than me Reg! Err :???:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RIP

Post by RIP »

Thanks Bob :smile: . Although of course remember I've got a mental age of about ten, so your position is still secure :-bd .

techno

Post by techno »

RIP wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:49 am Anyway, the best bit about the kit is I read the small print assiduously - that's the sort of entertainment that pleases me at 61 - and it transpires that it was designed by Eric Wiiliamson of Llanbrynmair. So that immediately transported me 200 miles WNW for a few moments to BBB Central, a nice little random connection which also gave me huge free pleasure - the best sort of present.
Happy birthday Reg, That's a lovely bit of synchronicity!

I'm taking my new tarp to play with at some point along my ride, no bivi for me but a bit of practice for when I can manage to get out :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Right, 1998-vintage Brommie all set to go radge this evening (*).

I Wanna Touch Toys

(*) "eh?" - I refer you to our honourable Scottish contingent

Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

RIP wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:49 am Apparently it's Reg's birthday today. He's going Rezilloing tonight to try and stay young, followed by a kip in a wood or a shed, which won't do the old rheumatism any good.
Happy Birthday Reg and tell Fay that I never wanted to be on ToTP so she is wrong
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
RIP

Post by RIP »

Will do :grin: . "Constipated peak viewing time" indeed!

voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Quick ride tonight to the pub, home via the chippy, taught mini-voodoo how to make farting noises with a balloon and then settled down to watch Sweary Dave’s Divide (something I’ve been meaning to do for a long time but wanted to watch it in one sitting) :-bd Cracking film I must say

Now off to bed to finish Bicycles up Kilimanjaro
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yep good book is Kili.

Went to the library earlier and got a few books out. I always feel a bit jittery if I don't have at least one on the go. One of them is Tim Moore's "The Cyclist Who Went Out In The Cold", detailing his 10000km trek down the Iron Curtain on an 1967 GDR machine. Good fun so far. I rather like his quirky style, he'd be at home on Here. Other tomes included stuff like Stuart Maconie's "The Pie At Night", Carlo Rovelli "Reality Is Not What It Seems" etc. Took 9 books out which felt a bit greedy but I reckon I'm helping to keep their numbers up. In fact it's probably our duty to borrow as many as we can to highlight that libraries are civilisation.

Boab

Post by Boab »

I really like Tim Moore's writing, I really enjoyed reading about that Iron Curtain trail, sounds like an interesting route.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

I’ll get this in early , finally have a weekend off so it’s time to convert the cdf groupset to a mountain bike groupset with some very shiny dia comp bar end shifters
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Yes, Friday came a day early for me too. Nice weather today with a poor forecast for tomorrow so did my first outdoor ride since I broke my collarbone five weeks ago. :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Nice one bob :-bd