Front mudhuggers??

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

Front mudhuggers??

Post by Mike »

There are two types the shorty n the full length. Is there much difference in them and which is most recommended? I would assume the race one is better but how much better?
Gregsie

Re: Front mudhuggers??

Post by Gregsie »

Got the full length on a couple of bikes. Seem to keep more mud off than friends who've got shorter guards on their bikes.
Powered by crumpets.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is the race version not faster?
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:36 pm Is the race version not faster?
Only if it has the red stickers
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Mike wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:27 pm I would assume the race one is better but how much better?
Better for racing or keeping the mud off?

I've got the full size on the front and it seems to work well. I've got a 650b version on the rear of my 29er, they sent the wrong one and I didn't think being slightly shorter would make a difference, but it does. I still get a muddy back, but nowhere near as bad as pre-mudguard. Go for the maximum coverage is my advice.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Mike

Post by Mike »

Long it is then ta.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

If it’s for +tyres mike they cut down a bit of the poor show but not all of it , had the long one on my longitude most times we went out and still got a face full of it , worked great when it was paired with a crud catcher mind, rear ones absolutely brilliant never a wet arse
RIP

Post by RIP »

rear one even better with chopped-off 2L milk container appended to it :wink:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

RRP proguard max is betterer.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

How stable is this type of guard when fitted to forks without a cross brace ie rigid?
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Fine for me Stu. I have the front Mudhugger (plus extension) on a set of Plus width carbon forks and they're absolutely rigid. No flopping or rubbing. Also have one on the fatbike and again no problem.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:11 am How stable is this type of guard when fitted to forks without a cross brace ie rigid?
Never had a problem on the genesis stu , some decent cable ties ,not Halfords specials , and it never moved
techno

Post by techno »

middleagedmadness wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:51 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:11 am How stable is this type of guard when fitted to forks without a cross brace ie rigid?
Never had a problem on the genesis stu , some decent cable ties ,not Halfords specials , and it never moved
Same here on my stooge. They're Spot on going to buy a rear one on the strength of the fronts performance.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Muckynutz do their own version and its longer (and bettererer) still
https://muckynutz.com/MTB/MugGuard_Long
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I have the long one with the add on extra. It does a good job of impersonating an actual full length mudguard with the added benefit of really good clearance for mountain biking.

Stu - they mount very strongly on non-suss forks. No mods needed on a wide bladed carbon fork. On steel forks such as on a Fargo or Krampus i’ve needed to cut (not hard with a good knife) some material away where it meets the crown to get it sitting well.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Mike wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:27 pm There are two types the shorty n the full length. Is there much difference in them and which is most recommended? I would assume the race one is better but how much better?
Three if you include the fat hugger, which is brilliant even on skinny 29ers.

I use velcro tape which means they can be taken on and off in a minute or so. Never had them move, even when I forgot to take them off and they went down the motorway on the roof.
larsmars

Post by larsmars »

Big fan of the Mudhugger front and rear. I've been wanting to try adding a second front hugger on the rear between the tyre and seat tube. Saw few examples of FS riders doing that to protect pivot bearings, etc.

https://images.app.goo.gl/ysQKNpsRC7LczbGR6
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

larsmars wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:06 am Big fan of the Mudhugger front and rear. I've been wanting to try adding a second front hugger on the rear between the tyre and seat tube. Saw few examples of FS riders doing that to protect pivot bearings, etc.

https://images.app.goo.gl/ysQKNpsRC7LczbGR6
I’ve copied SeanIoW (with materials he kindly donated I have to add :-bd )of this parish and added some 2mm plastic sheeting from the seat stay bridge to the seat tube.
It’s cut and bent to shape and mimics a full sized guard. Does a very good job at keeping crud off my frame bag and water bottle.
I thought a Muckynuts guard or something similar could also do the job well.
WSC
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Swapped my front mudhugger out for an RRP Pro-guard. Makes the front mudhugger look puny.

The worst ever front guard is the Syncros Fox 34 bolt on front guard. Its tiny and even has cut outs to expose the stanchions :roll:
ton

Post by ton »

rrp pro is ace for 3'' front tyres.
I have a mudhugger 29 rear guard. will I need to buy the extention thing for a 3'' rear tyre?
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

ton wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:45 pm rrp pro is ace for 3'' front tyres.
I have a mudhugger 29 rear guard. will I need to buy the extention thing for a 3'' rear tyre?
No. The medium length works fine on my Krampus, it extends further back than the wheel. I think the different lengths are for different seat stay angles. Long guards for low positioned stays such as on some fs bikes with swing arms and whatnot.
WSC
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

ton wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:45 pm rrp pro is ace for 3'' front tyres.
No, but the extension makes a big difference in keeping you clean. Try making an extension out of a coke bottle and see what you think.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

The extension is for front guards. Though they do an add on for rears to make it wider and longer - sold for fatties.
WSC
ton

Post by ton »

sorry, I was meaning the rear thing that makes the guard wider. need for a 3'' tyre?
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

No, but the extension makes a big difference in keeping you clean. Try making an extension out of a coke bottle and see what you think.
[/quote]

The extension is approx 1/3 of the width of the guard in the picture. On a 29er wheel set for scale, it does make quite a difference.

ImageFathugger with extension by Duncan Lovett, on Flickr