Moel Famau?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Moel Famau?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What's the score with riding? From what I can see, there's no BW onto or over, yet I've often seen reports of people riding it.

Just wondering what the score was?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Escape Goat

Re: Moel Famau?

Post by Escape Goat »

Summittoppler will know more about this, but I think there's a dont ride like a fool on the footpath and it's OK. He'll clarify though.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Mid week is doable but I probably wouldn’t take the main path to the summit. The best time up there are mid week in the evening and I’d just avoid the summit at the weekends, really not worth it (too busy - went up on Sunday running when the sun was setting and i thought a charity event had been in there were that many people - there hasn’t)

Some nice paths around that area to explore.

To summit, I’d start at the mid level car park with the toilet block and wind your way up the fire roads near ffrith and then head west, leaving only a little bit of cheeky pushing to the summit
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not too bothered about the summit - I was wondering about using the track (offa's / clwydian way) that runs from the carpark below Moel Arthur for a couple of km until a BW that heads off east?
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Escape Goat wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:14 pm Summittoppler will know more about this, but I think there's a dont ride like a fool on the footpath and it's OK. He'll clarify though.
Thanks but tbh I ain't been that way (only 30 miles away) since an horrendous Kona 100 about 16 years ago! I refer to it as 'scouse mountain'..... :roll:
I as you know stick to Snowdonia, its quieter ;)
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Yeah, that'll be fine Stu.

Will be a steep hike-a-bike from the car park up to the ridge but fine once on it. When turning off the ridge, it does tend to get very muddy, so be prepared to some pushing (which I'm sure you'll be fine with).
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

summittoppler wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:12 pm
Escape Goat wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:14 pm Summittoppler will know more about this, but I think there's a dont ride like a fool on the footpath and it's OK. He'll clarify though.
Thanks but tbh I ain't been that way (only 30 miles away) since an horrendous Kona 100 about 16 years ago! I refer to it as 'scouse mountain'..... :roll:
I as you know stick to Snowdonia, its quieter ;)

Yep mate. Also my new fav ever since you built me that solo bivvy route last year!
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I'd have a look up up to the summit if you're going to be nearby Stu. Not a bad push up and fast rolling descents off the north, nw and west if you wanted to do a straight up and down then carry on east towards Cilcain or wherever you're headed. Really good views and the fort's kind of interesting too.

The Almost the Delyn route is a good starting point for some nice riding. Rides just as well clockwise or anticlockwise.

ootini

Post by ootini »

Stu, send me an email address. I've got a couple of gpx files that may be of use.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Stu, send me an email address. I've got a couple of gpx files that may be of use.
stuart@bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk

Ta.
hoppy58

Post by hoppy58 »

Haven’t been for a while but from memory It’s a bit like the long mynd - fast short-grass sections, bit of stony stuff and bits of forest roads. There was a feature ride in Singletrack issue 121 a couple of years ago. There’s a lot of bridleways and permissive tracks to ride.
Moel Famau path is usually very busy with walkers
Last edited by hoppy58 on Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
psling

Post by psling »

I'm pretty sure I took part in a Merida type ride out of Ruthin some years back that either went over the top or across the flanks of Moel Famau.
No help to you I'm afraid though Stu; they probably negotiated access with landowners :roll:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:22 am
stuart@bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk

Ta.
Sent
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I used to live in the area - it gets very busy at weekends so avoid the main track. I never had any issues riding up there mid week, evening, or early morning. NO matter how cheeky it was. More issues when road riding in the area. The pub in Llandyrnog is quite a nice spot for a quiet pint. Our old local.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

That is a decent pub. The landlord's been known to let "weary" bikepackers bivvy out the back with use of the indoor toilets.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Yep. Cheap too. And you can get cheddar in the creamery. I miss our old town. 8 years since I've lived there.
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

As a regular across the clwydian range mostly using the fireroads through the forest up toward the top plenty of stuff to ride around there and from experience i've never had to many complainers about where to ride around there, myself and a few mates do a yearly Offas Dyke ride starting from home heading for Llandegla and following the Offas Dyke path all the way to Prestatyn, dip a toe in the sea and head back over Halkyn. good days riding but no reason you couldn't do it in 2 days and have a wild camp somewhere in the middle
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

https://www.strava.com/routes/13371054

Degs>>Prestatyn across the Clwyds down the Offas to Prestatyn :-bd , hope the link works
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Thanks for the input everyone. I've kept it legal as it's part of something longer that others might want to ride and I don't want to give anyone an excuse to point fingers. Anyway, should be finished tomorrow, ta.
mikehowarth

Post by mikehowarth »

MTBR did the Clwydian Killer Loop back in the day - I've ridden this and variations on it over the last couple of years.

Doesn't take in the summit of Moel Famau but skirts it, as others have said it gets pretty full on at weekends.