Fame beckons - I need a picture.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Fame beckons - I need a picture.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I require a picture for the front cover of 'Two wheel tramp - a velo vagrants handbook'. I thought I had one but transpires I need a much bigger image. It needs to be landscape and ideally include some nice scenery, someone riding a bike or camping or both ... I'm sure you get the idea. Something taken with a phone probably won't be large enough unless you've changed the settings on your phone.

Anyway, if anyone has anything they think might be suitable and they'd like to possibly see it on the cover of a book then please email it to me. I can't promise fortune alongside the fame but I'll do my best.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Alpinum

Re: Fame beckons - I need a picture.

Post by Alpinum »

Perhaps one of these is of any help for your book. What is it about?

ImageImageImageImageImage
There are more. Click the photo and you should be taken to an album.

UK stuff
ImageImageImageImage

I have many more photos not uploaded. If there's anything precise you're looking for I might be able to help.
Please no fame though. I'm struggling to hold fans off already.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

I’m sure Reg has one of me outside the hafren toilet block in bivi bag with fag in mouth , giving off a true tramp look , maybe a bit too trampy for commercial purposes mind :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yep for the subject in mind I'd be looking for something trampy in the pissing rain... don't want to give people the right impression with sunny scenic shots :wink: . The Infamous Javi Branch Crossing would fit the bill, or Jack Thurston's classic Winter Event fordfest, or yes any toilet block 'camp' would be perfect.

Oh alright, nice scenic cover shot so one doesn't scare the horses/Normals, but a proper 'realism' photo on the back cover which the punters will only see after they've handed their wodge of cash over - too late :grin: .

Or, could do a montage of four pics on front cover - two 'tame' ones and two contrasting ''Stop Being Soft" ones.

This is the one you're on about Stu of course, admittedly a bit of a classic but sadly crap quality - cos the situation was crap :smile:

ImageDeeply Unpleasant

I quite like the reek of cowsh-covered soaking togs emanating from this one:

ImageVile Stench

'Reg'
Last edited by RIP on Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Thank you Gian. I shall take a proper a look at those later on - should be ideal for a book on the effects of a Kale rich diet in western society. :wink:

I will have to refrain from a 'public toilet shot' ont' front. It'll look too much like the 'Bear Bones guide to cottaging' but I do promise to include so realism Reg but you should already know that realism is on the cards :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

IMG_1677.JPG
(70.5 KiB) Downloaded 1478 times
One of the man himself.
Possibly just a tad smug as I don't think I've ever managed to upload a photo before..
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:43 pm Thank you Gian. I shall take a proper a look at those later on - should be ideal for a book on the effects of a Kale rich diet in western society. :wink:
:lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

I'm going to push a bit harder for the "two sides of a coin" photo-montage idea which is a proper reflection of the contents :wink: : rose-perfumed-down-jacket v reeking-socks, nice-bothy-with-logfire v bivvybag-in-a-ditch, sunny-mountain-top v pineforest-filthfest, nice-pub-lunch v pot-noodle-outside-Spar-in-pissing-rain, etc etc. You'll get done under the Trades Descriptions Act otherwise :lol:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

??
I do agree with Reg that the image should capture the spirit of bikepacking and therefore feature someone looking miserable and riding in the rain, however as I assume the book is looking to inspire people then a bit of artistic license (and one of Alpinums images) is probably a better bet.....
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Alpinum wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:58 am Perhaps one of these is of any help for your book. What is it about?

ImageImageImageImageImage
There are more. Click the photo and you should be taken to an album.

UK stuff
ImageImageImageImage

I have many more photos not uploaded. If there's anything precise you're looking for I might be able to help.
Please no fame though. I'm struggling to hold fans off already.

Those pictures are phenomenal. Do you mind me asking what camera you're using?
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

A mix of both.
Sun from the south, snow from the north.

The photos don't really transport it, but especially the second one out of the UK lot was dreich. Beginning of June 2014. Rain and wind at 4 °C between Ullapool and Thurso.
Yummy
Escape Goat wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:25 pm Those pictures are phenomenal. Do you mind me asking what camera you're using?
Cheers.
"The best camera is the one you have with you" Henri Cartier-Bresson
:wink:
Ever amazing Olympus OM-D EM-5. Still running strong after nearly 8 years. It has bathed in water and then froze solid twice with no leaks or damage. I've had to hack away ice from the buttons - still took great photos.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I like that quote! I'll send a message to you so we keep the thread on topic.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Alpinum, excellent photos on that link :-bd
Mike

Post by Mike »

I just like this picture :lol:

Image20190822_095133 by mjc_226, on Flickr
Boab

Post by Boab »

Alpinum wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:40 pm A mix of both.
Sun from the south, snow from the north.
Off topic I know, but wow, makes me want to go to Iceland even more than I already do...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

K1100T wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:42 am Off topic I know, but wow, makes me want to go to Iceland even more than I already do...
I'll try to take time to write a few words to go with the photos. Keep an eye out on trips and adventures.
Fat tyre kicker wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:31 am Alpinum, excellent photos on that link
Cheers
ripio

Post by ripio »

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I might have some when I get home.

I reckon one of Gian’s Icelandic ones on the front and something from the 2018 BB200 for the back cover with a title of: From Dreams To Reality
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Well I didn't think I'd have anything to compete with GIan's, but I thought I might have something to offer, but looking through my many many photos from bikepacking trips, I don't think I've got anything that fits the bill. Fame will have to wait.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Nah, you're OK 'Wind, Bowie to the rescue: "Fame can take interesting men and thrust mediocrity on them" :smile: .