Tyre Liners

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

Tyre Liners

Post by dlovett »

Anybody use tyre liners like these or similar? https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Tannus-Tyre-In ... 213225.htm

I can’t say I have ever had an issue with tubeless getting it not sealing a puncture so what benefits are there to liners or are they really only worth while for riding in crazy remote places?
johnnystorm

Re: Tyre Liners

Post by johnnystorm »

I guess it makes sense if you are riding somewhere that you can't get tubeless spares or can't/won't go tubeless. I guess it also works if you want to use liners but don't want the hassle of packing them away if you do rip a tyre and need to put a tube in as these have the space for them.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I've heard good things about these as an alternative to using a tubeless/Cushcore type set up. Advantages are cited as being not having the mess of sealant to deal with if you do have a puncture you just fire another tube in (and you have to carry a spare anyway). You can use smaller diameter tubes as well which are a bit lighter. I'm currently running a ghetto Cushcore set up (using 50mm backer rod) in the wheels on my long travel bike but have been considering trying Tannus Armour in my rear wheel only as an alternative. Not sure I'd bother on my bikepacking bike though, I tend to run the tyres with relatively high pressures on a loaded bike in the hope that rim punctures are less likely to happen then anyway.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

dlovett wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:46 am riding in crazy remote places?
From my view point, I see foam inserts to be a race thing. Gravity fed racing. Going as fast as possible where it's harder to brake in the right spot (not on sharp rocks), land the bike in a precise spot, sticking to a smooth line, over jumping/unloading over square edged rocks etc.

I've had badly torn sidewalls in remote places and it just took me an hour or so to sew and glue the tear. When racing, you don't want to lose that time.

There's also quite a different feel to the tyre with inserts, as you can ride with less air pressure but still get a very similar support in hard turns. Rolling resistance must be higher tough. The few (enduro/DH) racers I occasionally ride with mostly have an insert in the rear tyre only.

While it helps with punctures and rim damage, it doesn't help with getting a torn side wall. I like to think that you even get more of them as you can ride less clean.
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

These look like they would significantly reduce the grip that your tyres give. You want the tyres to be as supple as possible so they conform to the shape of the surface you are trying to stick to. If you have a thick layer of foam against the inside surface of the tyre that is not going to happen.
I don't have any problems with tubeless that can't be fixed with anchovies/plugs.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

My friend that told me about them is doing the morocco bike adventure with them in. I guess just a bit of extra security out there. I'm assuming from the picture he sent they are going in side his Teravail Sparwood on his cutthroat.

I guess for normal UK riding they are a bit overkill. These are the ones he is fitting.
https://www.spoke-store.com/ptn-rokk-line-29/

This is the race
http://morocco-bikeadventure.com/route/
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

dlovett wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:53 am My friend that told me about them is doing the morocco bike adventure with them in. I guess just a bit of extra security out there. I'm assuming from the picture he sent they are going in side his Teravail Sparwood on his cutthroat.

I guess for normal UK riding they are a bit overkill. These are the ones he is fitting.
https://www.spoke-store.com/ptn-rokk-line-29/

This is the race
http://morocco-bikeadventure.com/route/
We use that material to insulate cooling hoses in the lab...
You can get them in every DIY market, get the right diameter and enough length plus some glue...
They even come with that thin plastic coating which get damaged real quick and then gets soaked with sealant.
While it'll give more progression to the tyre (when bottoming out on it) Pepi's Noodles don't prodect the rim like other inserts do as it's round and hardly has any material between tyre and rim when bottomed out.

Check Cushcore or Nukeproof. There's a little more function for the money in those products.

NewRetroTom wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:46 am I don't have any problems with tubeless that can't be fixed with anchovies/plugs.
Lucky you :wink:
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

Alpinium - in the photo above it looks like your bead has separated from the tyre. Would any of these foam-in-tyre systems have helped prevent that?
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I thought your comment
NewRetroTom wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:46 am I don't have any problems with tubeless that can't be fixed with anchovies/plugs.
was meant in general, not regarding the inserts.

My photo was an example of defects you can't mend with plugs and one that surely can't be prevented by use of inserts.

And as you may find in my previous posts, I don't see them of any help/use - au contrary - for bikepacking. And trust me, the way I mostly bikepack, I should actually be a perfect candidate for inserts...
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

Those very long in the beard may remember a product called TuffyTape. It was a kind of thick felt that worked as a tyre liner.
Those that used it attested to it's awfulness and that the advertising strap-line used by the producer was accurate in the wrong way. "Nothing works better than TuffyTape"

I wonder if Sugru could be used to fix holes of that sort? Flexible rubber that sticks to anything. Maybe in combination with a fabric layer.
Thinking about it a small section of a trilaminate such as is used in drysuits glued on with black-witch or Storm-sure should do the job nicely if left overnight to dry.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Needle and thread. Some sewing. Then covering the seam to protect it with superglue, a patch of rubber (from an old inner tube or thin tyre). Better even is backing the seam on the sidewall with something like a strong grosgrain or thin webbing.

I rode on with a neatly fixed tyre for a bit, but blahblahblah... more here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14468&p=178897&hili ... nd#p178897
Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

Not tried the Tannus yet but I have been using inserts for many years.

It is a gravity bias thing really.

I ripped a rear in North Wales during an Enduro, rode the remaining 6 miles on the insert (Cushcore).

Last week I shredded a front a 3rd of the way down the Aosta Freeride and still overtook people rolling on the insert (Vittoria Airliner).

Mostly though they just offer confidence when hitting rough ground fast, I often would ease off to protect the tyres etc but now I can be very aggressive.

Plus the reduced pressures and slower rebound improve the ride.

For bike packing a lighter weight rim protector like the Huck Norris is my choice.

For me tyre inserts are a boon.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

For me tyre inserts are a boon.

Yes but you do ride closer to the edge than most of us Nigel, remember the 2,000ft sheer drop 3ft to your left? Not sure tyre inserts would have helped, better a parachute!
Edit: Just noticed this is my 1,000th post. Less prolific than some as it's taken over 7 years to achieve. Do I get a sticker? I love stickers me :-bd
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Just came across this
https://nsmb.com/articles/cushcore-xc-t ... rt-review/
and remembered some insert talk on here.

For those interested, this might be a good solution.