29+ bikes, who rides one?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

29+ bikes, who rides one?

Post by ton »

because i have another itch.

been down the 29+ road a couple of times, firstly with a jones plus, which i didnt get on with, then with a ecr, which was great, but i fancied a change.
now i fancy a nice and light 29+.
the trek stache carbon thing looks nice, just wondering what else is available that is not overly hefty.
99percentchimp

Re: 29+ bikes, who rides one?

Post by 99percentchimp »

Not sure I have much to add here. But loving the Jones Plus I have that I think was originally yours Tony :-)
No experience of any other 29+ but the format works for me!
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

ton wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:51 pm
The Fatster that Alex Pilkington rides/sells is under 10kg

https://fatsterbike.com/the-fatster-tech-spec-pics/
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Yes. Surly Krampus and I love it.
I find it the most fun bike I’ve ridden in ages.
Set up with a high front end and Jones bars it rides like a dream.
The wheel/tyre size suits my riding style well. I’m not the fastest either up, down or across country but I like to keep going. Having said that I think I ride DH faster on the Krampus than my full sus 26er. Lacking finesse I can batter my way through stuff nicely.
What I would say is that you should go for the widest rims and 3.0 tyres to get the most of the plus experience rather than 35mm rims and 2.8 tyres. You may as well be riding a normal 29er in that case (imo :grin: )
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
techno

Post by techno »

In Reverse wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:49 am
ton wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:51 pm
The Fatster that Alex Pilkington rides/sells is under 10kg

https://fatsterbike.com/the-fatster-tech-spec-pics/
These look lovely. Definitely on my lust list :lol:
FLV

Post by FLV »

I had a carver gnarvester for a while, that was a good bike. Decent value for a ti frame. Silly name though.
faustus

Post by faustus »

Don't own one, but i like the looks of 29+ bikes and the ride. Think a stache must be good, but way out of my budget. I've ridden a rigid Genesis longitude (early one in 29+), and I loved it. Scratch the itch! :grin:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Yep,
I ride a Travers Angus with a Rohloff hub and Lauf Carbonara.
The perfect maintenance free bike packing bike
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

I found the XL Stache too small for me Tony. By the time I had the bars high enough the reach was way too short. It also has a PF bottom bracket if that matters (it does to me).

I would go Waltly Ti if I got another 29+.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Would you consider a hardtail with at least 29 x 2.6" as 29+?
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I'm on Hunt Bikes 29+ myself

Image2020-01-23_06-35-09 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

https://huntbikes.com/
HopeValleyPaul

Post by HopeValleyPaul »

Krampus with a Rohloff here. Absolutely love it, a hoot to ride and with the hub it’s idiot proof (but not light!) when I finally destroy it I’m keen to get a tumbleweed prospector.

Good overview of what’s available here.
https://bikepacking.com/index/29-plus-bikes/
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

HopeValleyPaul wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:01 pm Krampus with a Rohloff here. Absolutely love it, a hoot to ride and with the hub it’s idiot proof (but not light!) when I finally destroy it I’m keen to get a tumbleweed prospector.

Good overview of what’s available here.
https://bikepacking.com/index/29-plus-bikes/
Snap! :-bd
Don’t think you’re ever going to break it.
My Rohloff comes of age this year it’s gonna have its 21st birthday!!
WSC
DickieH

Post by DickieH »

Similar to the Fatster I have a Chinese CS-197 fatbike frameset. I initially built it up as a 10-ish kg fatbike; now running 29+ with mega clearance, Geoff bars, internal routed dropper and a Thule Tour rack.

(Now back to rigid fork since pic)

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I used to ride a rohloff ECR, ultimately I moved it on because of it’s inability to run anything besides 29+ due to the low bottom bracket.
29+ can be great, once you get used to running the low pressures where they work the grip and comfort are excellent. BUT.....in certain conditions 29+ can be a real hindrance, that floatation just can’t cut through a layer of slime and find the grip beneath and if the mud is if the claggy sticky type then you can end up with kilos stuck the those huge hoops.
They also have a big gyroscopic effect and can need a bit of body Language to turn at speed, obviously this can work to your advantage, coupled with the volume once your up to speed its like a monster truck.

The turning point for me was riding back from Avebury to goring on the road, there was no getting away from the fact that 29+ is draggy on tarmac.

It might seem like I hated the big hoops, having only one bike meant I needed more versatility 2.3” tyres and a teralogic fork just work for me.

29+ When it’s working is just the most fun you can have on two wheels, unfortunately I’m greedy.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

johnnystorm wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:04 pm Would you consider a hardtail with at least 29 x 2.6" as 29+?

Squeeze a 2.8 on there and we can :)
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

BigdummySteve wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:33 pm I used to ride a rohloff ECR, ultimately I moved it on because of it’s inability to run anything besides 29+ due to the low bottom bracket.
29+ can be great, once you get used to running the low pressures where they work the grip and comfort are excellent. BUT.....in certain conditions 29+ can be a real hindrance, that floatation just can’t cut through a layer of slime and find the grip beneath and if the mud is if the claggy sticky type then you can end up with kilos stuck the those huge hoops.
They also have a big gyroscopic effect and can need a bit of body Language to turn at speed, obviously this can work to your advantage, coupled with the volume once your up to speed its like a monster truck.

The turning point for me was riding back from Avebury to goring on the road, there was no getting away from the fact that 29+ is draggy on tarmac.

It might seem like I hated the big hoops, having only one bike meant I needed more versatility 2.3” tyres and a teralogic fork just work for me.

29+ When it’s working is just the most fun you can have on two wheels, unfortunately I’m greedy.
All bikes/tyres are going to find conditions in which they don’t excel.
Surly Dirtwizards are great mud tyres, biting well where others I have tried have struggled.
As for being draggy on the road - well yes, there is no denying that fact - but no one ever said 29+ is a road bike standard. Having said that, I really don’t mind riding mine on the road too much. BB200 2018 had plenty of road and I still managed a comfortable Black Badge. If I can be bothered to pump up to 30psi road sections don’t feel much more draggy than on my Fargo with knobbly 2.4’s

And one more thing.... Avebury to Goring on the road? Isn’t that what the Ridgeway is for? :grin:
WSC
Cocker

Post by Cocker »

ton
i'm on 29 plus on my speedball,and find it perfect.
it just so happens my best mate has bought a carbon stache(from cycletechnology) and he loves it.
think he is on an xl,i'm sure he'd let you try it bud
Cocker

Post by Cocker »

just to add,the ti speedball is a lot lighter,and i'm sure andy can do made to measure in ti.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I’d ridden the ridgeway, then it poured with rain overnight, I knew there would no next to zero grip on the chalk and needed to get back ASAP.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Scud

Post by Scud »

I had tried proper 29+ on Salsa Beargrease fat bike, made for a really light bike compared to many, but i know have singlespeed Stooge and a geared Singular Gryphon and have a 29+ front wheel that i place into either of them when i think it will be better than standard wheel, but with 2.4 in the rear of both, works really well for comfort on longer days.