LeJOG audax-style anyone?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Asposium

Re: LeJOG audax-style anyone?

Post by Asposium »

Looking at the route
I rode a section of the A9 to fort William on LeJOG
That was interesting (and not in a nice way)
To be fair it was late (almost dark), I was gunning it to make FW before darkness, and it was peeing it down.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The A9 doesn't take you to Fort William.....

I suspect you mean the A82 and, yes, interesting!! :-)
AlexGold

Post by AlexGold »

My intention wasn't to put anyone off, but it was to make sure people knew what they were getting themselves into!

It should be noted that the route isn't finalised yet, so it may all get better.....but there are only so many roads in places if you want a reasonably direct route, and with under 5 days to do it I suspect I know what'll happen.

Highland Fling looks amazing and would be my choice, but it's very early in the season for a 1000.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

composite wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:29 am
Crackpot looks like a good alternative to the Mille Pennine. Do you know if there are overnight controls on this? The info seems sketchy about that.

Also, it seems that this isn't AAA although it looks like it has enough climbing to be... I wonder if it will be assessed later.
Crackpot will be harder than the Mille Pennies; it'll have the same sort of climbing figure but done on tiny little Wessex lanes, the sort you need to ride the brakes on the descents. It will have plenty of AAA points, don't worry.

You met the Wessex Series organiser Shawn Shaw at the doorway of the Poole control on the November overnight 300. Some love his routes, I would call them perverse at times, specially designed to make hard rides harder. But the satisfaction of finishing each one keeps me (occasionally!) coming back, and this 1000 hasn't been run since 2002 (I think) so I want in on the suffering.

There will be excellent controls with mountains of food, but the concept of an overnight control on a long Wessex audax is redundant, you won't be riding fast enough to build up a large buffer for sleep. There will be no concessions for overnight sections being on larger faster roads; it will be the polar opposite of the LEJOG audax if that's what you're looking for. Trade the risk of being knocked off for the certainty of poorly-surfaced 1-in-4s at 2am!
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

AlexGold wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:33 am My intention wasn't to put anyone off, but it was to make sure people knew what they were getting themselves into!

It should be noted that the route isn't finalised yet, so it may all get better.....but there are only so many roads in places if you want a reasonably direct route, and with under 5 days to do it I suspect I know what'll happen.

Highland Fling looks amazing and would be my choice, but it's very early in the season for a 1000.
Nah... Really appreciate that you added that insight on your post Alex. :-bd it got me thinking twice but I reckon I've mades up the mind now and will take each mile as it comes with a low threshold for a (potential) planB... :smile:
jameso

Post by jameso »

but done on tiny little Wessex lanes, the sort you need to ride the brakes on the descents.
I've heard enough about the Wessex series events to be wary of them! :grin:
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

composite wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:29 am
Crackpot looks like a good alternative to the Mille Pennine. Do you know if there are overnight controls on this? The info seems sketchy about that.
I'd go for the Mille Pennines it is a cracking tour of the lakes and dales and the one stop location for the three nights works well as you can arrive anytime day or night, and boy do they feed you well.
The crackpot is a brutal clmbing fest in which you are totally on your own, I'd say that one has a very high DNF rate.

if your doing these 1000Km/day Audax's your looking at max 5 hrs full stopping time for sleeps unless you are very fast.
See anyone there on the Lejog or the Highland fling :grin:
The old git in the yellow socks
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

To give an alternate view....

I've ridden pretty much this exact route as far as I can tell and the A roads were fine. If you're used to cycling on that sort of road, and I think you are Shaf, then they shouldn't bother you at all.

The pace/time limit would be more of a concern if I was thinking of actually doing this as an audax. It's basically going to be head down and grinding all day every day. That will be really tough mentally and physically over that distance. Any little bits of pain/minor injuries/self doubt/thoughts of giving up wil grow and multiply the longer you're in the saddle so you've got to be ready to ride through all that.

It's not for me but fair play for signing up for it.
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

nb, I have entered the Highland Fling 1000
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

In Reverse wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:56 pm To give an alternate view....

I've ridden pretty much this exact route as far as I can tell and the A roads were fine. If you're used to cycling on that sort of road, and I think you are Shaf, then they shouldn't bother you at all.

The pace/time limit would be more of a concern if I was thinking of actually doing this as an audax. It's basically going to be head down and grinding all day every day. That will be really tough mentally and physically over that distance. Any little bits of pain/minor injuries/self doubt/thoughts of giving up wil grow and multiply the longer you're in the saddle so you've got to be ready to ride through all that.

It's not for me but fair play for signing up for it.
Thanks very much for that. Yeah, come to think of it I am relatively comfy on certain roads where I maybe shouldn't be :sad: ... Your comment has really made my day and paved my training plan: Hopefully increase my DD600 to actual 600 as opposed to 300ish aswell as getting to as many 20 percent climbs within a 90 mile distance and try and get em done. That'll properly train my head for being in a mashed state :shock:

In other news... Silly me for enrolling (I knew it was mad before entering but probably could have thought through bettwe) but have always wanted to tick of LeJOG from my imaginary list. Hopefully Ive found the fastrack way of getting it done on a budget :grin: