Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

Re: Todays ride

Post by ScotRoutes »

Happy to get a little pre-lunch ride in today. Roads were lovely and quiet!

ImageDSC_0869 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I haven't posted on this thread before, but just wanted to add a little ride. I've had most of December laid low with 'flu (see my BaM post), but felt like I was recovered enough a ride on 23rd December. Just a 2 hour loop round local hills, but the light was nice and I just really enjoyed being out. A couple of photos:

ImageUntitled by Chris Farley, on Flickr

It was just so good to be out :-bd
Boab

Post by Boab »

My ride today was a bit of a milestone, first time I've managed to nail 100 miles. 171.47km distance; 7:16:02 moving time; 1,508m elevation, the furthest and longest I have every ridden, ever. My knees are quite tired, so off for a hot soak in the bath, with a beer.

Out early, 06:41, it was dark and foggy:

While the light improved, it remained dank:

So I stopped for a coffee and cake at Phoenix Cycleworks:

Off out again on Monday, with the plan to do a similar distance. Will be interesting to see how I feel tomorrow and on the bike on Monday.
Last edited by Boab on Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Nice one! It’s a special moment that first century :-bd
Mine was on my Jogle, Fort Augustus and over Ranoch moor, rolled into Tarbet with 99.2 on the clock and had to cycle up and down a side road :lol:

I recently read Dave Barter’s ‘The Year’ and it inspired me to clock another century, these guys did back to back doubles every day for a year, bonkers.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
FLV

Post by FLV »

Lovely day out today, blue skies everywhere.
Longest ride I've done in a while even though I stuck to easy terrain.

Cracking
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

FLV wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:17 pm Lovely day out today, blue skies everywhere.

Cracking
No slithery mud on that there 53 miler you did (the one nicked from Karl right?)... plenty of bivy spots enroute Dave??
FLV

Post by FLV »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:50 pm
FLV wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:17 pm Lovely day out today, blue skies everywhere.

Cracking
No slithery mud on that there 53 miler you did (the one nicked from Karl right?)... plenty of bivy spots enroute Dave??
Not much in the way of bivvies. I certainly nicked the idea of going round Carsington water from Karl as I'd never been there. Probably wont go again.
Essentially I rode the two big cycle trails Tissington and Monsal and linked the two together to form a loop. Not exciting but it was what I fancied today.
Boab

Post by Boab »

BigdummySteve wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:27 pm Nice one! It’s a special moment that first century :-bd
It's been a long time coming, so I was pleased that I managed it. So pleased, that I thought I'd do another!

Went out at sunrise:

Got back at sunset (wasn't planned):

Even though I put on road pedals and used my road shoes, I couldn't help a few gravel segments. They were mostly fine, although one had 100m of ankle deep liquid mud, while another had been underwater and still had very deep puddles on it. I also took a look at one byway, then turned round and went another way, it looked unrideable on 40mm tyres.

Strava threw a 🤬 fit after a couple of hours, but I didn't notice, as my phone was in a bar bag. Finished with it saying I'd done 147km, but did the auto correct distance thingie and it's now saying 231km. True distance is probably the mid point of those two, I'll work it out tomorrow, if I have time.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

FLV wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:10 am
redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:50 pm

Cracking
Not much in the way of bivvies. I certainly nicked the idea of going round Carsington water from Karl as I'd never been there. Probably wont go again.
Essentially I rode the two big cycle trails Tissington and Monsal and linked the two together to form a loop. Not exciting but it was what I fancied today.
Thanks Dave
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Happy new year folks!
Well despite being on the beer yesterday I woke up this morning feeling pretty good so make good use of a fine morning for a peddle down the beach near Conwy...

Last of the Park Runners...
Image20200101_113126 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20200101_115232 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Making tracks
Image20200101_120847 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Bliss!!
Image20200101_120837-01 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Lobster with Salsa?
Image20200101_124842-01 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

I had a lovely, but short, spin out today in the western Berwyns. I'd spotted the track on the OS map and Google maps confirmed that it existed, and it was much better than expected. Most of the height is gained on good forestry tracks, but it was windy enough on the tops to make me even slower in a headwind.
Hope the Facebook link works.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 0249537625
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Planned a 100 km ride this morning, but road closures, and failure to read road signs, saw me out for an hour longer than planned. My one ride old Wahoo Elemnt turned on, started warming-up, then did a fantastic impersonation of a brick; so it’s going back tomorrow.

My weather app told me that the light rain would stop around 08:00, when in fact there was a 30 minute deluge that would’ve had me looking like a drowned rat, apart from my spanking new Galibier Tempest Pro rain jacket.

I was also wearing my brand spanking new Galibier Vu Winter jacket and Ardennes gloves. Now my new all time favourite between seasons jacket and gloves. Brilliant the pair of them.

Tubeless can 🤬 off. Spent ages yesterday patching both front and rear tyres, only for the rear to be nearly flat after an hour and a half. Pumped it up and continued, but then got a pinch flat in a submerged pot hole, while avoiding going under a 4×4 pick-up truck. Got some cheap road slicks and tubes coming, going to run them for the rest of the winter.

It was also the first ride for my new Restrap frame and top tube bags, which acquitted themselves well, considering the volume of water that fell from the sky. Although not having space for two large bottles is problematic, as I ran out of liquid and had to stop at a shop to get a refill.
Boab

Post by Boab »

A quick jaunt before work this morning to get some more miles in the legs. The sunrise seemed to take ages...

First ride for the replacement Wahoo Elemnt, which worked nicely, apart from me still failing to select a route to test the turn-by-turn directions. Also the first ride for the El Cheapo Clément Strada tyres, which I ran at 70 psi, I think I might try 60 psi next time. The bike felt far faster than the 40mm Conti Terra Trails that I took off, so I was slightly disappointed to discover that I was only 2 kph faster over a route I took when the Conti's were still on.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

K1100T wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:50 pm [..

:o that picture!!
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

A decent Sunday spin today with wintery sunshine and a little snow on the hills.
ImageIMG_20200119_130341823_HDR by Jurassic690, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20200119_135838719_HDR by Jurassic690, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20200119_144606762_HDR by Jurassic690, on Flickr
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

The Bear Bones buff got an outing this morning.

As did my first ever ride on e Thud Buster seat post.... OMG why have I not thought to use these before today?
Boab

Post by Boab »

108km on very icy roads this morning. Serious type two fun for a few hours till it thawed enough. Rear wheel was all over the place, even while coasting on flat roads it was snapping loose, hideous.

Some of the back roads round here are sunken, and off camber, so crap down the middle, ice down the side. Much laughter and hilarity... :roll:

The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

Jurassic wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:43 pm A decent Sunday spin today with wintery sunshine and a little snow on the hills.
Which bars have you got on the Sonder?

Cheers, Michael.
Bilbo Baggins.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

The Cumbrian wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:19 am
Jurassic wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:43 pm A decent Sunday spin today with wintery sunshine and a little snow on the hills.
Which bars have you got on the Sonder?

Cheers, Michael.
Hi Michael, the handlebars are Genetic Digest bars in 480mm width and I love them. :-bd
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/handlebars/ ... amp-black/
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

[/quote]
Hi Michael, the handlebars are Genetic Digest bars in 480mm width and I love them. :-bd
[/quote]

Thanks for that, they look great.

How are you getting on with the Camino? It's one of the bikes that I have shortlisted for when I eventually get around to buying a gravel bike.
Bilbo Baggins.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

The Cumbrian wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:30 am
[/quote]

Thanks for that, they look great.

How are you getting on with the Camino? It's one of the bikes that I have shortlisted for when I eventually get around to buying a gravel bike.
[/quote]

It's massively exceeded my expectations. I previously had a Boardman CX Team that I bought to get back into cycling but which I never really took too for various reasons. I decided to swap the frame and forks for the Camino mainly to get back to a threaded bottom bracket (the Boredom was PF30 which I hated) and carry over as many parts as possible from the old bike. Since then I've upgraded the wheels (to a pair of Hunt 4 Season Gravels which have been great so far) and gradually lowered the bottom gear using a Deore 38/28 mtb chainset which has now morphed into a 38/24 to give me a nice low granny gear.
As soon as I rode the bike I knew I was going to love it (which I never felt about the Boardman) and since I bought it last May I've hardly ridden my other bikes which says it all really. It's decently quick on the road (even on gravel tyres) but what's really surprised me is how good it is off road on anything other than technical trails but overall it's just fun and comfy and easy to ride on a variety of surfaces.
The only minor criticism I have of it is that the fork clearance is slightly limited (although I can still run 700x40C WTB Nanos with full mudguards off road) but this issue is addressed on the newer V3 Caminos (mine's a V2) which have more clearance at the front. I can't recommend it highly enough to be honest.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

A bimble around the local woods tonight, on frosty well-drained trails.

Discovered a large, recently-abandoned fire in a private field with a stable and spent a short while warming extremities. It would've been an ideal bivi spot :-bd

Meandered over to The Red Lion (Little Brickhill), which had just closed for the evening due to lack of customers :shock: (blimmin' Dry January x(). Then rode down the steep, fast cinder trail past Paper Mill, along the canal to The Globe (Linslade) which was warm and welcoming :-bd.

An absorbing and theraputic solo ride :YMPEACE:

Tomorrow's C2W promises to be a crispy one :grin:
May you always have tail wind.
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

[/quote]

It's massively exceeded my expectations.....
[/quote]

Thanks very much, real world reviews are always good. I think that the Camino has risen to the top of the list.
Bilbo Baggins.
faustus

Post by faustus »

@jurassic - You replied to something I put on FB Sonder group, was curious to know how 38t does for road riding, and what cassette range you have, and is it a deore front mech? Still deciding what gearing I want, as i'm in the south and the hills aren't as steep and plenty of road sections between bridleways and byways.

Sorry for thread hijack!
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

faustus wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:45 am @jurassic - You replied to something I put on FB Sonder group, was curious to know how 38t does for road riding, and what cassette range you have, and is it a deore front mech? Still deciding what gearing I want, as i'm in the south and the hills aren't as steep and plenty of road sections between bridleways and byways.

Sorry for thread hijack!
Hi Matthew. I've found the 38 to be okay on the road, it does obviously have it's limits but by the time I'm starting to spin out on 38x11 it's fast enough that I'd probably be better trying to get into an aero tuck anyway. Sonder spec the Camino with a 40 tooth single chainring with an 11 tooth top gear on the cassette so when I was considering what to do I thought the 38 would probably be okay. As I was building up from a frameset and donor bike I always intended going 2x10 as I thought 1x10 might not give me all the ratios I wanted for bikepacking as well as using the bike unladen. My cassette is a 11-32 SRAM 10 speed and the front mech is a sidepull Shimano SLX band on which I got dirt cheap (£5.99!) on sale from CRC. I wasn't sure if the SLX mech would fit due to the bottle cage mounts but it sits in between them with the Deore chainset. The mish mash transmission is all driven by SRAM Apex shifters (off the Boardman) and surprisingly it all works fine together. HTH. Cheers, Chris/Jurassic.