Going from 29plus to 650b plus?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Chrisps

Going from 29plus to 650b plus?

Post by Chrisps »

Hi,

I am wanting to consolidate my bikes, as my wife and I's collection is getting out of hand!

I currently have a Surly Krampus (29x3.0) and one of the new style Sonder Broken Roads (29x2.2). I am considering selling the Krampus and putting 27.5x3.0 tyres on 45-50mm rims.

However, new wheels and tyres aren't cheap, so I'm looking for views from people who have ridden 29+ and 27.5+.

What I like about the Krampus is how it really soaks up rocks and roots on the trail. Compare that to the 29x2.2 tyres which I find really tiring and annoying on flat or uphill rocky terrain. I also like how you can take technical trails quite fast on the Krampus despite no suspension.

I have tried 29x2.6 on i30 rims on the Broken Road before, which I don't really feel gives many advantages, but a lot of extra drag.

I use the BR for both bikepacking and general cross country riding.

Thoughts?

Chris
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Going from 29plus to 650b plus?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I like B+. Could just be me but it seems (or at least feels like) to offer similar benefits to 29+ but with a bit less drag. Using the big rims will certainly make a noticeable difference over the i30 rims. I've got some 40mm and 45mm Scrapers and can't really tell any difference when riding.
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

B+ will have not disimilar bounce to 29+ but the smaller dia will reduce the ability to move across rough terrain and therefore feel rougher. The rolling resistance difference won't be noticable unless you ride both back to back. The main benefits of B+ is more tyre choices and more bag clearance.....

I'm biased and the Kramp is such a good bike I'd never consider getting rid of mine.....
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

29+
For those who mostly don't want 29 x 3.0" the Krampus with a internal 30 mm rim gives a very versatile platform.
From trail biking to multi week offroad touring to every day riding/commuring, just by changing the tyres, perhaps the fork, removing a rack (or even full length mud guards) etc. you can make a very suitable bike for many different kinds of riding/terrain/amount of equipment and food out of the Krampus.

As it seems you want to benefit from 29 x 3.0" at which 30 mm rim is too narrow. Probably best is 40 mm upwards, but then 2.2" or 2.4" on 40 mm is asking for trouble (no proper edging possible). You'd not be the first to sell a bike and keep the favourite with an additional wheelset. Perhaps go down that route..?
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

Thanks...

@Alpinum, Its not so much that I don't want 29x3.0, but more I want to consolidate and am wondering if I will really miss 29x3.0 if I go to B+.

Seems to be some conflicting views from Stuart and htrider... I guess my concern is will the B+ feel much rougher than the Krampus... how noticeable do you think it really is? Is it a "if I ride back to back," or will it be immediately, noticeably rougher?

Thanks!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I guess my concern is will the B+ feel much rougher than the Krampus... how noticeable do you think it really is? Is it a "if I ride back to back," or will it be immediately, noticeably rougher?
There's probably too many variables such as rim width, tyre pressures, ground conditions, tyre make-up, etc to say for sure but I've never found a vast difference in how harsh the ride is.
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Can't help with the tyre question, but if the problem is your's and your wife's collection is getting out of hand then surley the best thing is to get rid of some of her bikes not one of yours :wink:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

htrider wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:09 pm I'm biased and the Kramp is such a good bike I'd never consider getting rid of mine.....
I’ll second that.

Last year I thought I could do a similar trick to you. Run two sets of wheels on my Fargo - standard 29er and B+ - and stop using my Krampus.
The Fargo was set up with WTB Scrapper i40 and 3.0 tyres compared to FatLab 55 (i49) with 3,0 on the Krampus.
I just didn’t like the B+ as much, didn’t get that unstoppable ride over anything feeling I get with the Krampus. There was just something missing.... Different bike I know so it’s not directly comparable... but still.
I’ve ridden old school rigid 26er, full sus 26er, normal 29er, 27.5+, fat 26er and 29+ Very much by far my favourite ride for general MtB riding loaded or unloaded is 29+
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

OK, thanks guys; looks like the Krampus is staying and I'll have to take Sean's advice and get rid of some of my wife's bikes in thy night 😉