SPOT Tracker Renewal Fees - Being Gouged?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dave Barter

Re: SPOT Tracker Renewal Fees - Being Gouged?

Post by Dave Barter »

Heads Up

SPOT have changed their T&Cs now and it appears you cannot cancel by email. You have to call a USA call centre in CST time Tuesday to Friday

I'm utterly fed up with these tossers so I'm out from now on. This business model died ten years ago and hopefully SPOT will soon follow.

EDIT: For safety's sake I changed my card details to use a pre-pay card with a zero balance.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

If only race organisers didn’t make them mandatory :roll:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'm expecting mine to increase next year due to the exchange rate. I'm still on a deal from last year that is supposed to carry over, but it's in USD.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Update: I tried via email anyway and they have confirmed cancellation by return.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

How high a % of that email was in 'Dave speak'? :???:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

voodoo_simon wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:15 am If only race organisers didn’t make them mandatory :roll:
They don't make SPOT mandatory - only GPS messengers and SPOT aren't the only option.

Get good service, proper help with questions in the matter of less than 24 h and pay only for what you really need with an InReach and data/tracking package from ProteGear.
It's really good :-bd
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Alpinum wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:11 pm
voodoo_simon wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:15 am If only race organisers didn’t make them mandatory :roll:
They don't make SPOT mandatory - only GPS messengers and SPOT aren't the only option.

Get good service, proper help with questions in the matter of less than 24 h and pay only for what you really need with an InReach and data/tracking package from ProteGear.
It's really good :-bd
Fair point :-bd

I did resent my spot, sitting in my draws at home costing me £15x24 for the three trips I used it :roll:

Just waiting for spot to realise that some consumers will want a pay as you go service and then I’ll use it again
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Spot already offer a monthly subscription service for the Spot X. Not quite pay-as-you-go but you need only pay for the months you use it.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Both options involve buying new devices :roll:

*obviously not moaning at anyone on this forum
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

voodoo_simon wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:12 pm Both options involve buying new devices :roll:

*obviously not moaning at anyone on this forum
Yeah - it's the initial outlay that puts me off changing devices. I really need to do some sums to see how long it takes to amortize the purchase price.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

And there's now a Monthly Service plan for Spot Gen 3 devices. I reckon I might flip over to that when my current plan expires.

https://www.findmespot.eu/en/index.php?cid=103
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've just emailed them to ask for clarification as the notification I had from them last week advised my renewal would be EUR 199.98 but the yearly plan on the website is EUR 143.40 which is quite a difference.

I advised them I have yet to decide if I'm continuing with my subscription so we'll see what I get back.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

My renewal is due next week. I asked to have my account suspended as I'll likely not be using the Spot so much and so will set up a monthly thing as and when. I've just been offered a standard full annual contract for €85 (plus taxes).
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:12 pm My renewal is due next week. I asked to have my account suspended as I'll likely not be using the Spot so much and so will set up a monthly thing as and when. I've just been offered a standard full annual contract for €85 (plus taxes).
:-bd
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:18 pm I've just emailed them to ask for clarification as the notification I had from them last week advised my renewal would be EUR 199.98 but the yearly plan on the website is EUR 143.40 which is quite a difference.

I advised them I have yet to decide if I'm continuing with my subscription so we'll see what I get back.
do a search for my post from may ish. I got it much, much cheaper than the price they wanted.
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Ive just gone through the annual "I want to cancel my subscription " charade. We went through the "We can offer you a discount" thing again. New price is £102 inc tax. It's still a lot, but for 12 BAMs it's less than a fiver per day. My Lady says it's worth it and who am I to argue?

On a slightly different, but sort of connected note, the set of batteries that came with my new Gen3 a year ago have just run out on my December bivvy. That's twenty three days plus a few others on the same set. Remarkable! Energiser Ultimate Lithium AAA. Of course, this means that for nearly all of this time I've been needlessly carrying a spare set of batteries. :roll:

Happy New Year to all.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:31 am New price is £102 inc tax. It's still a lot, but for 12 BAMs it's less than a fiver per day. My Lady says it's worth it and who am I to argue?
Depends where your BAMS are I guess. For £0 extra outlay I share my location with SWMBO using Google Location Sharing and it has to be pretty remote to not point out where I am. Even if not exact it'll give my last known whereabouts with a timestamp.

As an aside my colleague has just been trying to cancel our works spot trackers. Calling them meant that she was left in a queue for 15 minutes on three occasions before being cut off. Using the "general equiries" (or similar) number she was able to speak to someone who eventually took no for an answer.

If we need more trackers for work I can't see them being Spots again! :lol:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

As an aside my colleague has just been trying to cancel our works spot trackers. Calling them meant that she was left in a queue for 15 minutes on three occasions before being cut off. Using the "general equiries" (or similar) number she was able to speak to someone who eventually took no for an answer.
I did it via email.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

In her defence, when you use the "email us" link you get presented with this:
Screenshot_20200116_180121.jpg
(44.42 KiB) Downloaded 1370 times
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

johnnystorm wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:04 pm In her defence, when you use the "email us" link you get presented with this:
Screenshot_20200116_180121.jpg
Sounds like they're really passionate about not letting anyone into a situation where 'one' might need rescuing but 'one' had already mistakenly cancelled membership (not wanting to be gouged)...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I think I've already published the contact email address in this thread. I'll check it out and do so if not.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:40 pm Isabelle.Lecorps@globalstar.com

Was who I dealt with
You have indeed...
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Got my renewal through - €199/yr plus taxes. They’re advertising €143 on their site. What a bunch of rip off merchants!
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Phew, you've just reminded me that mine is due on Tuesday