Can we do wood burning stoves again please??

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

TheBrownDog

Can we do wood burning stoves again please??

Post by TheBrownDog »

I bought a cheap Lixada one off Amazon in summer last year as a toe dipper, and I quite like using it, but it's not particularly brilliant and Im wondering what the top notch option is these days. The Firebox one I saw looks pretty good.
I'm just going outside ...
jaminb

Re: Can we do wood burning stoves again please??

Post by jaminb »

Hi Tim

see this chaps video - you will like him as he takes his chair bikepacking! i found the link to his stove but not sure if anyone is importing them

Ben

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p-aRya ... tion=share

https://seekoutside.com/titanium-wood-stoves/
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A lot of the small 'box' stoves are really a bit too small Tim. If you want something efficient, that's easy to cook on, I'd suggest a double wall 'wood gas' stove. SOLO make very good ones.
May the bridges you burn light your way
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

The full size folding Firebox is an amazing bit of kit but weighs what must be around a kilo...
Not most folks idea of bikepacking gear. I use a wood stove most weeks with my kids in the woods and enjoy it loads. I don’t like them for The bikepacking I do as I don’t often sleep in woods. I also tend to ride late and finish tired. The weight of 100ml meths plus it’s container guarantees me a trouble free hot dinner for a negligible weight penalty. So for a UK overnighters by bike a wood stove is not the answer for me.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

The Caldera Cones with the inferno inner piece work well, I use a cone and 600ml pot all year round but will add the Inferno if there’s a chance of a woodland camp and free fuel.
I’ve used a Bushbuddy for a good number of years too, much more efficient than the CC but bulkier to pack, nests nicely inside a MSR Titan 900ml pot.
The Honey stove from BPL might be a good bikepacking option, the ti version is very light but I wouldn’t pay brand new price for one,
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The guy in the linked video is into his stoves and many of his videos have him getting close to his camp via 4x4! The stove he's using is about 500g in weight (plus the weight of the flue) and costs about €400 :shock: For him that's lightweight but then he isn't riding around and up the Welsh (or Scottish or Lakes) hills.

This lot also used a wood stove - https://bikepacking.com/plog/james-bay-descent-video/ and a 12 man tent!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I have a ti Honey Stove and it is good but I rarely take it bikepacking tbh. I have used it the odd time when I know that I'm going to be stopping in or near a forest but I wouldn't bother taking it just in case.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Tim, have a look at the emberlit stoves. i heave the UL version, it’s good

I also have a bushbuddy (original wood gasification stove) and a pocket stove ti

Emberlit is small and neat, but is much easier to feed and takes heavy pots. Don’t take mine bikepacking though
Rich3rd

Post by Rich3rd »

TBD, I've had some great fires and cooking with a https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOMSHOO-Camp ... 3834452910, my mate Ben swears by a https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... stove-p422 which is really quick to set up.

In action with Hex in background

Never knowingly under biked...
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Ha, that is a chinese copy of the Emberlit!

I've had my Emberlit and Bushbuddy for many years now, over 10 maybe? Back then they were the originals and were pricey. Now there are so many clones out the prices are now far more reasonable

The advantage to the Emberlit style ones is you can use long sticks to fuel it, and just feed them in bit by bit. The bushbuddy requires slightly more careful loading and feeding. It is, however, the only stove I've taken wildcamping though, I was able to cook and heat water on it
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Another plus I found with the Bushbuddy is it’s ability to burn punky and damp wood, the gasification and secondary burn means they’re much less fussy about requiring dry fuel.
Try burning thumb thick pieces of damp wood in a regular folding burner and you’ll probably just get a lot of smoke and little flame.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I think Borderer / Bridget is a frequent woodstove user and has written about it on here.

I've got one of the little Ti box stoves in a tin (can't remember the name) but rarely used. I've also used Ghillie kettles a lot which are great kit but I wouldn't lug one around for bikepacking.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've got one of the little Ti box stoves in a tin (can't remember the name) but rarely used.
That'll likely be a Pocket Stove from Backpacking Light Tim.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:42 am
I've got one of the little Ti box stoves in a tin (can't remember the name) but rarely used.
That'll likely be a Pocket Stove from Backpacking Light Tim.
:-bd
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:29 am I think Borderer / Bridget is a frequent woodstove user and has written about it on here.
Yeah we use one for our long-distance trips. It means not having to worry about finding and carrying meths or gas in funny foreign lands. As you can't take either on a plane this saves us from trying to find gas or meths on our first morning in a strange place. Our trips are often for 2 months or more so it also makes a big difference in fuel savings.

For overnighters we will often just take one of Stu's wee meths stoves with a 100ml bottle as they are a lot simpler and can be used inside a bothy.

Our wood stove is a honey stove but I am thinking I might replace it as it's a bit of a faff to put together, especially when sooty. Overall I am very happy with the concept though. You can find twigs pretty much everywhere - on the extremely rare occasion that we haven't found anything combustible to burn we have just used old receipts out of our pockets and the firelighter cubes (natural ones) that we carry for emergencies.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Cheers team, thanks for all the inpoooot. TBH I'd prefer a Solo stove but the buggers are so bloody chunky. Think it'll be one of the Emberlit copies Rich recommends: that Tomshoo one. I have seen it in action on a damp morn last year (actually, I mostly remember my hangover ...) and it did the job very well.
I'm just going outside ...
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Wow! That guy in jaminb’s video takes his home comforts seriously. Seems like a *lot* of faff for a single night. But each to their own.

And the stove is certainly a neat bit of kit.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

This one looks a handy size for cooking but not carrying - alrhough it does come with a bag.
https://outbackerstoves.co.uk/collectio ... cket-stove