Bivvy a month 2019

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Bivvy a month 2019

Post by RIP »

MuddyPete, how far's our cheeky woodshed? Can't be much more'n a mile.

I'll go for 'rainest' then please although I'd have to phone the Met Office for exact figures :wink: .

Did plenty of cheeky spots but would be greedy to bag more than one 'prize'.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

RIP wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:29 pm MuddyPete, how far's our cheeky woodshed? Can't be much more'n a mile.
That's quite some way, I have managed 0.6 of a mile as the crow flies :smile:

https://www.strava.com/activities/2168413727

I did recently check out a spot that's only 0.2 of a mile from my house, at a sports field. It would probably be ok but there is also an observatory there so there is always the risk that the astronomers will turn up in the night to get their telescope out :wink:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Landslide wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:07 pm In a bid for closest bivvy, I reckon I've achieved 10.5km as the crow flies from my door.
My November bivvi on Austenwood Common was a lung busting leg breaking 0.7 miles from my front door. But that feels like a proper journey compared with a night two years ago when at the very last minute - and thanks to some marvellous support from you lot - I pitched up in the woods on my village common for a few hours to keep my BAM run alive. It was all of 500 yards and think I may have pushed my bike rather than ride it on account of having had perhaps a glass of wine or three.
I'm just going outside ...
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

RIP wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:58 am
Borderer wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:38 am
RIP wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:37 pm Closest spot to an inhabited building without being rumbled?
there were swings and a treehouse there too
:lol: winner!

Not sure if Colin's "yes" was "too competitive" or "good idea" :wink: Seems like a bit of fun rather than competitive. A way of bringing back interesting memories rather than winning owt. Anyway Colin, if it was "too competitive" you've just joined in by claiming 'oldest BaMmer' :lol:
Well, for what it's worth, I'm 63 (64 next month) but I suspect I'm probably not the auldest BAMer on here.

PS: See you on Sunday Colin!
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

I claim Next-to-Oldest BAMmer. I'm sixty-eleven, but one of our number is 3 years older.
Current BAM run is 60.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

:-bd Very impressive (both of you, that is)
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Reg:
- cheeky woodshed is 1.9 miles from my house;

- cheeky willow plantation is 0.4 miles from my house;

- my back garden (a previous BaM of yours) is 0.0 miles from my house, so it looks like you've won the "closest" competition :-bd

.......by a mile! :lol: :roll:
May you always have tail wind.
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Hey up Lu !

“I’m sixty eleven but one of our number is 3 years older”

Wrong !

One of em is 6 years older in 2 months...
7.7 on the Richter scale..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

ericrobo wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:56 am Hey up Lu !

“I’m sixty eleven but one of our number is 3 years older”

Wrong !

One of em is 6 years older in 2 months...
7.7 on the Richter scale..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bastard!

That means I have at least another 12 years before I can use the "I'm getting too old for this" excuse!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Have just spent the night with Frog (eeeeeerrrrrmmmmm well you know what I mean :smile: ) and can safely say he's not afraid of a cheeky spot - not many people trust Reg's dodgy spot selections!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Sorry, a bit late but thanks from me also to Zippy for scores on the doors. It all helped in finally completing a BaM (third time lucky I guess).

I’m suitably impressed with Borderers bivvy in someone’s back garden, that is just brilliant. I trust you scuttled off before discovery?

Can I add a new category (only because I have a chance at this one): illest. This months saw me with the onset of the norovirus. An, ahem, ‘emergency evacuation’ and having to stop for a spew just part of its many splendours... this is not a category I can see people rushing to ‘compete’ in... :lol:
Give the dirt a little room.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

metalheart wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:39 am Can I add a new category (only because I have a chance at this one): illest. This months saw me with the onset of the norovirus. An, ahem, ‘emergency evacuation’ and having to stop for a spew just part of its many splendours... this is not a category I can see people rushing to ‘compete’ in... :lol:
Bit hit and miss hoping to come down with something awful. How about the "Bivi a month after taking Ipicac on departure" challenge.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

metalheart wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:39 am I’m suitably impressed with Borderers bivvy in someone’s back garden, that is just brilliant. I trust you scuttled off before discovery?
Yes - we have never packed quite so fast as we did that morning! It was in Sweden so we would probably have been ok - they would no doubt have seen the funny side and been all chilled and Swedish about it. We were cycling along the coast the night before and there was a fierce onshore wind. I wanted to put the tent in a hollow in the sand dunes, but Joe saw a stone wall and wanted in behind that instead. We thought it was just a sort of sea wall but as we saw in the morning it was actually a property boundary and we were in someone's garden. The house wasn't far away but had been in darkness when we had pitched up and gone to bed and I hadn't noticed it there. During the night the people must have come home because I saw lights through the fabric of the tent, but just went back to sleep. I don't think they ever knew we were there.
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Thanks Borderer, that tale proper cheered me up. :grin:
Give the dirt a little room.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Time travel bivvy.

With no real time left for Feb, being busy till march with one thing or another, I managed to join a few others for a wet night out.

I waited until 1pm to set off to get to the pub at 8. I eventually left about 3pm, ish and just followed my nose hoping to not get blown into traffic, ditches, sheep, people, etc.

It was windy as sin - then it rained lots - then hailed lots - then winded lots again. I then had a 30k head wind to the pub.

not this pub. Also, it's the wrong Star.

I also found out where I could get my lawn mower sharpened.

Someone turned the lights out - love love love cycling in the dark. Decided to listen to some old nu-metal for the first time in ages, 36 Crazyfists, Nonpoint, Spineshank,, bloody great!

After 1 pint of cracking IPA - I was wobbly to say the least.

Pitched front to back (usually back to front, but changed it up a bit to see what happened)

My now go to tea (apart from Bourbon Biscuits)

I put my actual PJ bottoms on and had an Elvis Juice, put a movie on as it wasn't that social with the weather.

Leave no trace ( apart from a traced outline of exactly where I was :roll: )

Even if I did wake up soaking as the SMD let in LOADS of rain, soaking wet bag, wet bourbons, wet jacket hat and gloves, it was good to just get out!

Last edited by Escape Goat on Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Nice report. Beer and bivvy should be a mandatory conjunction!

Wrong thread though. . . . .
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Oh dear...