Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

didnothingfatal

Vargo Hexgon Wood Stove

Post by didnothingfatal »

Anyone got one? Opinion?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Vargo Hexgon Wood Stove

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's just a fold out box really, a MYOG Ikea stove will do exactly the same thing for a couple of quid. I think that a double wall is really needed to make a wood stove worthwhile, Bush Buddy, Woodgas, Solo, Four Dog, etc or MYO.
May the bridges you burn light your way
didnothingfatal

Post by didnothingfatal »

Thanks, question is can I face Ikea :o
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I've got some little slot together thing, same as reviewed by Stu, from the classifieds on here.

It's fine, a bit fiddly to slot together and then takes a little attention to keep it lit and brewing but no big deal. I guess it could double duty as a wind shield for cettain alcohol stoves.

TBH I just use a Ti gas stove and small cannisters. Quick, simple and "clean". All goes in a Mytimug and no risk of anythign tasting of meths ;)

Personally I've found "bigger is better" with anything wood burning in the UK. We use Ghillie kettles for trail building days and the big one is remarkably easier to get fired up and keep burning / hot than the smaller ones I've used (mKettle). This might just be down to me though :oops:.
MM-on-POINT

Post by MM-on-POINT »

Have you consider a tri ti fissure from trail designs as a myog project paper and tray foil for mock up then a sheet of 0.7mm alu from ebay for the final product of if you want dead cheap cut up a metal cooking oil barrel the kind restaurants use.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Have you consider a tri ti fissure from trail designs as a myog project paper and tray foil for mock up then a sheet of 0.7mm alu from ebay for the final product of if you want dead cheap cut up a metal cooking oil barrel the kind restaurants use.
Aluminium sheet will just buckle / warp if used with wood ... No matter how thick or high quality it just can't handle the heat. That'll be why a Tri Ti is called what it is ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
MM-on-POINT

Post by MM-on-POINT »

ahhh, I am glad you pointed this out it has made my choice on a few projects I am playing about with simpler.
where would us novices be with out bearbones...? ;)