Letter from Devon/Dartmoor

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Shinythings

Letter from Devon/Dartmoor

Post by Shinythings »

Howdo all,
Some of you I know of from the Winter events and the like.
Not being a great social media fan I've never got round to joining in on here. However, as my usual bivvy oppo (Rich/Slugwash) has selfishly buggered off to London indefinitely I am bereft of regular entertainment, so needs must and it's time to put myself out there.

I would be nice to get a few of you out on a Dartmoor Bivvy especially those who've not sampled it. It is a highly underrated place with surpisingly remote bivvies to be had and even having done many hundreds of bivvies I still look forward to it.
Obviously I'm preaching to the converted with some of you already on here from Devon, but I will start posting upcoming trips for people to consider and maybe tag along on some of yours.

Cheers
Purveyor of general muppetry and ne'er-do-wellness
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Letter from Devon/Dartmoor

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

London!??
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

D ??

(sorry - thought this was another Sunday evening quiz)
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

As long as it doesn't involve the bridleway from Fernworthy Woods I am in
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
RIP

Post by RIP »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:37 pm D ??

(sorry - thought this was another Sunday evening quiz)
:lol:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sorry, just expressing my surprise that Slugwash has gone to that there London ... as you were. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Dave Barter wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:42 pm As long as it doesn't involve the bridleway from Fernworthy Woods I am in
That’s nothing.
You should try some of the ones on the southern fen. Princetown to Avon reservoir via Naker’s Hill for example , that’d get you swearing :lol:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

lune ranger wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:19 pm
Dave Barter wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:42 pm As long as it doesn't involve the bridleway from Fernworthy Woods I am in
That’s nothing.
You should try some of the ones on the southern fen. Princetown to Avon reservoir via Naker’s Hill for example , that’d get you swearing :lol:
I've walked some of it. Definitely not on the list. Next weekend (hopefully) I'm trying out the track past Crazy Well Pool onto Burrator. It made me think of a great website where you could rate offroad tracks in terms of rideability/seasons. If only I ahd the time.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

That’s a real track. Going up or down?
A loop from Burrator resr past Sheepstor village and then the BW to Eastern Tor, Drizzle Combe, Nuns cross and down past Crazy Well is a pleasant short loop on hard pack tracks. Or start at Princetown and out and back on the South Hessary Tor BW. That’s like smooth ribbon as far as Nuns Cross.
WSC
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

its been graded up past nuns cross now.
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

It has been far too long since I bivvied, or indeed rode up on Dartmoor. Very poor show on my part.

Hopefully I will be able to muster the motivation with this fresh show of enthusiasm for the place from fellow Boners old and new...

Si
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

darbeze wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:25 pm It has been far too long since I bivvied, or indeed rode up on Dartmoor. Very poor show on my part.

Hopefully I will be able to muster the motivation with this fresh show of enthusiasm for the place from fellow Boners old and new...

Si
Why wouldn’t you love it? It’s got everything from gorse ridden death marches to swampy tussock fests all linked together with the devils own stepping stones. Nice.
:-bd
WSC
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

lune ranger wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:07 pm
darbeze wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:25 pm It has been far too long since I bivvied, or indeed rode up on Dartmoor. Very poor show on my part.

Si
Why wouldn’t you love it? It’s got everything from gorse ridden death marches to swampy tussock fests all linked together with the devils own stepping stones. Nice.
:-bd
I do love it, and have ridden there lots over the years. It's just motivation to ride has been low over the last 12 months and other things have taken a higher priority...

Si
BitTube

Post by BitTube »

I have been lurking for a month or so here as I build up my kit (and fitness). Coming out of the holidays and seeing this thread spurred me into joining the forum and the conversation.
A loop from Burrator resr past Sheepstor village and then the BW to Eastern Tor, Drizzle Combe, Nuns cross and down past Crazy Well is a pleasant short loop on hard pack tracks.
This loop is one of my favourite rides, I have been exploring the abbots way "path" to try and get across to Redlake pits with the intention of finding a loop back towards Princetown/Burrator?

I am also fond of a loop on the north of Dartmoor. Starting at Belstoneheading out past Scarey Tor, up via the moor track/road to Oakment hill, returning via High Willhays and Rowtor.

Any rides out on the moors I would be really interested in joining to help me learn the ropes and find more routes, I should say I am a total Noob as far as bike packing goes with all my cycle time being MTB based.

Dave
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Since you mentioned Belstone a quick heads up that the pup there is giving up its lease in early Feb and there is no information about what happens next.
Cant imagine there not being one there but don't count on it.
Perhaps a hipster gastro pub?
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Keith

Post by Keith »

I’m in!