Fernworthy Forest - Dartmoor

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dave Barter

Fernworthy Forest - Dartmoor

Post by Dave Barter »

I'm looking for a micro-Adventure after NYE (kill me, I really did say that). Thinking of heading to Fernworthy Forest for a bivy. I've not been there before, is it a good location for a stealth camp?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
lune ranger

Re: Fernworthy Forest - Dartmoor

Post by lune ranger »

Lots. Being non-specific if you get away from the reservoir and main trails you can take your pick. You should be far enough from everyone in the morning to not cause a stir.
Out of the woods onto the moor you are in the free camping area. Hanging stone Hill and Whitehorse hill have bridleway access close and are steeped in Neolithic and Bronze Age history. The bridle way that heads south to Postbridge is a bit of a struggle to ride in it’s mid section but ok in general.
There are some stone circles in the woods as well but they are a bit open .
In a similar area, I like the valley below the Warren House inn. There is water, shelter and a nearby pub. Check opening times in winter.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Oh yeah.... it’s #short ride by the way.

EDIT. Bugger the swear filter got me!

#micro-adveture :-bd
WSC
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Thanks Luke. Are any of the tracks heading south from the woods OK? As I reckon on heading home via Princetown and breakfast at the Fox
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

What bike are you riding?
The big obvious bridleway that heads due south out of the forest is fairly typical of stuff on the ranges north of the B3212 - not flowing, glorious single track.
I’ve only ridden it in summer where the top third from the woods towards Postbridge is ok (probably wet at this time of year), the middle third is a fight through killer gorse (maybe better now) and the bottom third ok - relatively steep rocky ish descent af far as I remember.
Think the only other legal way from those woods to the 3212 is by road.
WSC
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

lune ranger wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:42 pm The bridle way that heads south to Postbridge is a bit of a struggle to ride in it’s mid section but ok in general
It was a horror story of sh1te and gorse. Never again
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Dave Barter wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:52 pm
lune ranger wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:42 pm The bridle way that heads south to Postbridge is a bit of a struggle to ride in it’s mid section but ok in general
It was a horror story of sh1te and gorse. Never again
That’s the spirit!
WSC
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

I rode it in the middle of one of the driest spells we’d had on the moors for years and it was sub standard then.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

It’s such a shame as I loved the ride to the woods. Next time will just have to take a picture then turn tail.
Shinythings

Post by Shinythings »

If weather good Teignhead farm just north of the forest is good. If weather iffy there are innumerable spots just inside the perimeter. We use two ways to ride there: Via the lake or take a left turn a few hundred yards down from the Warren inn on unmarked but obvious hardpack and follow your nose.
Purveyor of general muppetry and ne'er-do-wellness
JimH

Post by JimH »

Funnily enough was looking at Fernworthy just last night when my cycling map of,Dartmoor arrived. I saw the bridleway heading south from the woods and thought that it’d be easily rideable. Seems that isn’t the case! :sad: Has anyone bivvied just south of Bellever? I thinking about stopping there after fernworthy
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

East of the Dart next to the big Bellever woods car park (SX658772)is in the legal camping zoneand there is a flat meadow next to the river It’s pretty popular as a stop over. There’s a bunch of fire rings there etc. It’s a nice spot, easily accessible so I guess it’s to be expected. Even so you’ll likely be alone in winter. The ground is usually pretty wet at this time of year but i’ve stopped there in November and February in the past.
WSC