Washing goretex techniques

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Washing goretex techniques

Post by redefined_cycles »

Went into Blacks today in Castleford and there was a chap very passionate at the till. Told the previous customers how to wash down products and complemented me on me beard simultaneuosly. Bit of a motor mouth and not sure if he knew what he's on about but it all sounded good and kindof correct.

Once I got to the till with my Exped drybag I mentioned nikwax and goretex wash/proofing. As he was selling me the green and purple bottles (cos they were on offer) he asked what kind of goretex I had: Laminate or cloth... Mine is 2 or 3 layer laminate so I described itand he tells me I'm totally wrong in how I'm going about caring for me.

Somewhere in between all of this he stated his credentials as being ex product tester for Berghaus and had been at current Blacks store since it was owned by Berghaus (Castleford shopping Outlet at junction32) and when I asked why it didn't state what he's telling me on the Nikwax bottles he tells me that its cos the saleperson is meant to be divulging that info!!!

So, apparently according to him I can use the green nikwax bottle as its just the WashIn... But not the purple cos its a reproofer and using on laminate materials means it will line both sides (inner and outer) with the DWR (or whatever) and hence reduce performance. According to said chap, to reproof laminated goretex fabrics one needs to purchase the sprayOn stuff and a manequinn (he didn't say it in them terms but thats what he described but a 1D version). Then spray it on as it will keep the breathability from the inside intact.

Sorry for the long story.. But, I half of me is kinda embarassed for being so silly and not knowing this as it seems to make sense. My Lowe Alpine jacket of old used to breath well with its thin goretex material (older paclite I think) but the more I washed and reproofed it and the more 'boil In the bag' it became...

So... erm.. over to you. Whats your thoughts and have I just not been reading the proofing bottles (which dont really differentiate between cloth and laminated goretex) properly. Don't wanna knacker my new Mountain Equipment jacket if he's right (which didn't really come with said info this chap mentioned)...
ripio

Re: Washing goretex techniques

Post by ripio »

All Goretex waterproof fabrics are of a laminate construction.
redefined_cycles

ripio wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:27 am All Goretex waterproof fabrics are of a laminate construction.
Exactly. Hence the reason for me opening the thread to clesr things up a little. From product testing to the tills at Blacks. I'm not sure that's a natural progression but each to their own and maybe he prefers it like that!
Boab

Post by Boab »

Sounds plausible. I've only ever washed my waterproof clothing with the Nikwax soap, I've never used the wash-in re-proofing stuff. I used to iron my GoreTex,, as gentle heat evidently reactivated the water repellent coating. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Maybe some confusion here.

Some clothing will have an internal drop layer or scrim. Those are meant to wick perspiration off the skin or mid layer. I can see that applying a DWR coating to that would stop it functioning correctly.
jameso

Post by jameso »

According to said chap, to reproof laminated goretex fabrics one needs to purchase the sprayOn stuff and a manequinn (he didn't say it in them terms but thats what he described but a 1D version). Then spray it on as it will keep the breathability from the inside intact.
I've always hand-washed in soap and then used spray-on on the outside, partly not trusting the washing machine but had read similar to this reason about the outer repellency being what you want to replace.
redefined_cycles

Thanks. I suppose its kinda good I never bought the reproofing purple bottle as can't afford to knacker my new (not any mire as its been through some real nasty muddy s*it) Trekkit issue ME jacket. Exclusivr to them apparently
ripio

Post by ripio »

https://www.gore-tex.co.uk/gore-tex-wash-instructions

https://www.gore-tex.co.uk/restoring-water-repellency

Seems Gore are happy to recommend wash-in DWR retreatment so I'd be happy to believe them rather than some geyser working in an outdoors shop (who are as notorious for talking nonsense as people in bike shops, if you ask me).
Thisisnotaspoon

Post by Thisisnotaspoon »

I presume he meant the distinction between the 2/2.5/3 layer membrane waterproof fabrics which have a breathable PTFE membrane on a woven outet (and maybe/not an inner layer).

And the DWR treated fabrics?
ripio

Post by ripio »

Thisisnotaspoon wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:18 pm
I presume he meant the distinction between the 2/2.5/3 layer membrane waterproof fabrics which have a breathable PTFE membrane on a woven outet (and maybe/not an inner layer).

And the DWR treated fabrics?
Yeah, 2/2.5/3 layer laminates, the waterproof Goretex PTFE membrane is laminated to the other fabrics that make up the complete jacket/whatever.

DWR is the Durable Water Repellency treatment that is added to the fabric to enhance breathability by encouraging beading of water droplets so that they run off the surface rather than soaking into the fabric and 'wetting out' which prevents vapour from passing through the fabric.