Favourite bike of 'all time'?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mbnut

Re: Favourite bike of 'all time'?

Post by Mbnut »

It's a great question this...

I thought it'd be easy to answer but it isn't, the more I think the more bikes come to mind and as you say, the bike starts to drift into the background and the memories fill the foreground.

Ok, so I'm not going back to the day... that way lies a few shockers but great memories.

Number one, my current hardtail... Sonder Carbon Transmitter, built with attention to detail, with specific ride qualities in mind I nailed it. It is just sooooo good and by heck it's pretty.... I literally love it.

Can I have another.... Transition Bandit 29 in bright green 2012 model. Again built up by me and a revelation in covering ground quickly. So much fun , best described as having a Tigger personality. It is currently sat at the front of the garage as I ponder bringing it back to life. It went to the back as that early 29 geometry and the fact it is a bit small for me meant it had a nasty habit of trying to kill me once I started racing en###0.

Last one I promise.... my bike packing and general go anywhere bike. Kinisis FF29 with Niner carbons. Just love that I can pull it out and ride it till I want to stop, which I often find I don't want to so I find myself riding along at 1am without a care in the world. I never get bored with the sound the fork makes.
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

I'd have to say my first proper mtb paid for by myself 1995 Gary Fisher Aquilla in green, Rock Shox Judy's, X-Lite bar ends and V-brakes :lol: thought it was the dogs nuts at the time, 600 quid if i remember right :-bd The Treks i own now aint to bad tho :wink:
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Gregsie

Post by Gregsie »

RIP wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:27 pm 'Montage.. cantis...biopace.. 18 thumbshifteds....'

'much better kit later..'. Nah! My 1985 Dawes Cougar was exactly the same kit (probably the only stuff available!) and I loved it and still do, but then I am a pervert :smile: .

My lad still has it, complete with original biopace and shifters - more than can be said for any 'modern' machine :-bd .
Those were the days when Muddy Fox was a decent brand and nobody knew that riding on footpaths was actually a bit cheeky.
Powered by crumpets.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Raleigh Chopper...then an Arena and then the bike that changed it all...Raleigh Mustang atb,
Bought through a friends catalogue in about 1986 ? ( only had my size in the pink colour :grin: ) Sprayed in forest green with flouro cable outers, did thousands of miles without a hiccup and
The odd upgrade, sold it to ( stupidly) to make way for a Honda Xl125. A few years later when
Single again I bought a brand new Saracen protrax se in metallic gold, it mainly became a coat
Hangar in my flat but damn it was good to look at :grin:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Mbnut wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:24 am
Hi Nige chap, long time no hear. How's it going? You coming on the Winter Event? If so, I need to re-think my night before at the Star. I'm sure when you came last time I ended up staying in the bar all night exchanging bollocks (CONVERSATIONAL bollocks, man, conversational!) and not using my bed at all, which wasn't very good value. :lol:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Scud

Post by Scud »

For me my favourite is my old Singular Peregrine, the frame is a bit battered now, but living in Norfolk, "proper" mountain bikes don't come out to often, and a gravel bike (although its 12 years old now, and has 2" tyre clearance before they became a thing) is ideal for 95% of my riding, linking up bridleways and other paths with sections of road.

It is singlespeed, with stickers on top tube covering up battle scars, but something about the skinny quality steel and the old Brooks B17 saddle, means it is like riding an armchair and despite some more expensive exotic bikes in garage, it is the one I just naturally go to every time I get those rare few hours to be able to get out for a ride from home...

The one bike I couldn't sell.
slarge

Post by slarge »

jameso wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:44 am ^ pics needed.... That's all I'd swap mine for, an older Master Olympic.
ImageColnago Master by Steve Large,

You have to zoom in to see the detail - it's beautiful!!
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

It would have to be my (‘95?) Kona Explosif, Columbus biaxial steel tubed frame I bought cheap secondhand off the manager of Alpine Bikes.

It hadn’t been ridden hard (or well looked after). It was pretty scruffy and was missing the rear brake cable hanger. Os I got a vee brake cable stop welded on and respirated BRG. It has various guises but the best was with B1 bombers and a XTR/XT 9 speed mix, control tech and cut down world force doonhall bars... I definitely rode my best on that bike... but it got nicked.... :cry:

that said, my SodaMAX is a thing of beauty and is a better bike in so many ways (just the rider that’s poor show).
Give the dirt a little room.
jameso

Post by jameso »

You have to zoom in to see the detail - it's beautiful!!
It is .. similar colour to mine which is AD10, but the Olympic era were the best looking Masters :-bd
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

My understated grey Orange Clockwork ‘92. Original and best bike. Had it 3x8 with thumb shifters for taking me anywhere and everywhere while at uni, including many trips over the Pennines and Ikley Moore on the slicks it came to me with. This was a simpler time before upgrading for upgrades sake. Recently converted it to single speed and it just feels like an extension of myself when riding it.
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

Raleigh ti MTB
Purple with rigid hand painted yellow ugli forks
Xt/LX bits, Mavic 217 rims.
This bike was my preferred mode of transport for 6 years
It was given a new lease of life with a Matt bead blasted finish and some marzocchi forks, hope mini front brake and a magura hs22 rear.
Unfortunately somebody stole it from me.
Right after a service and new tyres as well!
Grubby little urchin.
Boab

Post by Boab »

My Raleigh Super Tuff Burner, which I bought second hand as a student in Aberdeen. Shattered the rear mag wheel trying to bunny hop onto a kerb at slow speed. Went everywhere on this bike, including cycling 6 miles home from a beer festival at 02:00, knees round my chin. I also cycled it from Dalwhinnie into Culra bothy one Spring, while wearing Koflach placcies... 🤣

As you can see, it fell out of favour and gently returned to nature propped up round the side of our first house.

I was quite tempted by last years re-release, right up until I saw the asking price.
Last edited by Boab on Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Enjoyed a little re-visit to this thread :grin:

I think my current 'favourite' is directly liked to a rather memorable trip. Nordest Sardinha.
My current hardtail mtb is lighter, rides better etc etc but there's no nostalgia associated with it just yet. Perhaps next year there will be :-bd

I'd probably buy that frame back if it came up.
psling

Post by psling »

Thread resurrection coincidence ! I'm currently sat in a motorway services about to hand over my Trek 69er (mentioned on page 1) to a new owner :smile: :sad:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
holdsteady

Post by holdsteady »

Mine would be my white BSO "BMX MAGNUM" - I was very disappointed when I got it for my birthday as I had specifically asked for a Raleigh Burner like all my mates had at the time, it even had spot welded seat stays, I am surprised I never broke it as it got some real abuse, With paper round money and following birthdays and Christmasses I endeavoured to polish this turd and added Mongoose pads, Acorn Mags, fake CW handlebars, mushroom grips, 2 finger dia compe brakes and beartrap pedals, fooling most people into thinking it was actually a decent bike. Went everywhere local on this bike and hd lots of fun on local sand dunes building jumps and courses in those long hazy summers of the 1980s.

Current favourite is my milky coffee coloured rigid Inbred 29er that I bought off the legendary late great Bullheart for £200 initially as a cheapish pub bike when it was a singlespeed with 28" hybrid wheels but I liked riding it so much I have since changed it to have 1x11 gearing, new crank, pedals, new wheels, tyres and handlebars and is now my go to bike for most things.
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

My 1988 Ridgeback 602LX, paid for by myself when I was a first year apprentice. It took me 2 months to pay it off, and I had no money left after giving my mam some lodge and paying for the bike. It was one of the best things I've ever bought though; I covered thousands of miles on it as I couldn't drive at the time and had to do a long road ride from West Cumbria to get into the Lakes, do an off road route and then pedal home again.
No suspension, narrow bars, 21 gears, Biopace and 26" wheels with tyres that were positively skinny and rock hard by today's standards.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

My Dawes Galaxy, racing green, bar end shifters, leather saddle......... and 00,000s of miles. JOGLE, weeks in France, cycling to see mates who lived miles away just for a laugh, towing the kids cycle trailer, then their tag a-long, then carry the stuff on family cycle tours.

It really has done everything, if I could only keep one bike it would be the Galaxy
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Good thread this. I have 4 bikes, 1 is/was? my commuter and is more of a tool than a love

But my other three are so different and they've all delivered great memories. Cotic Solaris, Surly Big Dummy, Brompton

In some ways I've had more unexpected, unplanned fun on my Big Dummy and Brompton, just stuff with the kids that are rides full of giggles and fun. Often quite short, but many happy memories. Also have lots of random conversations with strangers when on the bikes, particularly when carrying kids.

Solaris is the bike for me though, has been used to tow a trailer but that's now long sold. It's the bike I take when I want to go for a ride. Didn't expect to keep it so long, seems to work really well for everything I need it for. Although originally came with suspension forks and I'm currently riding it rigid
jobro

Post by jobro »

Thread resurrection coincidence ! I'm currently sat in a motorway services about to hand over my Trek 69er (mentioned on page 1) to a new owner :smile: :sad:
You'll regret it!

Travis Brown Trek 69er single speed, was and remains, my favourite bike despite the far more expensive exotica I also own.
Proving that bike building is more than engineering and science, because this bike is just magic.
Gummikuh

Post by Gummikuh »

I think the first bike that really meant something was the first I bought with paper round money, a Raleigh pro burner, which got stolen as they all did, but I did get that returned by the police about 6months later, I still have it hanging in the workshop. Whilst I had it I discovered freedom, and that I was actually OK at something sporty, I was never into team or ball sports, so started racing BMX locally, which was great fun, until I discovered bikes with engines!
From there I was working with a really strange guy and he was telling me about "mountain bikes" and how he wanted one, well these were days way before the internet, so I phoned a bike shop and they said they had just the thing, I'll never forget going to Mosquito bikes in Dalston and picking up a saracen conquest which I suppose re-fired my love for pedalling, I rode that to work every day and broke almost every part, but I really discovered bridleways. I couldn't afford a car and had to use a works van, that was locked in a compound overnight, so this was all I had, and it still hangs in the workshop.
I have had loads of bicycles over the years and it's hard to choose any one as really special, it is the memories that go with it, the fun of riding with a girlfriend with a picnic in a rucksack. Getting caught in an impossible cloudburst that almost drowns you. Riding to the pub and riding home a bit slowly!
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I think most of us are there with you Gummikuh ... it's not the bike, it's what it meant to you. I don't understand people who say they don't like cycling. It's the easiest of things. I do wish more folks would choose to experience the freedom it offers.
I'm just going outside ...
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

I keep buying bikes so I'm guessing they haven't made my favorite one yet :lol: , But I've had some good ones over the years
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
ton

Post by ton »

Post by ton » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:37 pm

my 2009 custom Ventana el Capitan. just amazing.

I sold it in a bout of depression when I was unable to use it whilst waiting for heart surgery.

I would love another one.

mine is still the same.
been trying to find one of these. failed so far.
if anyone can find on there is a bonus in it for you.
psling

Post by psling »

jobro wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:01 pm
You'll regret it!

Travis Brown Trek 69er single speed, was and remains, my favourite bike despite the far more expensive exotica I also own.
Proving that bike building is more than engineering and science, because this bike is just magic.
I had some great times with it and it's gone to a good home and will get used again, someone with a long pedigree in the SS world :-bd
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Hard one this. TD1 should have never sold it. Utterly uncompromising and wonderful bike.

But I'd go with the one bike I will never part with, my Fuji track bike that I've had for close to 20 years. Bought it after I was injured by a car towing a trailer (I was at the hitch point and it turned left in front of me) when I needed to regain strength in my legs. Only ever been fixed. Rode it for work, transport, then raced it for years. Stored it for years in the ROI when I moved to the UK. Now living downstairs. Can't part with it. Known it longer than my wife :)

EDIT: Those of you with Root Beer 69ers - wonderful bike. I've wanted one for a few years now! Rode a few of them that belonged to friends. I've a very direct association with those bikes and Jenn.