Revo/Redeye input/output brain fart

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

lune ranger

Revo/Redeye input/output brain fart

Post by lune ranger »

After finishing a night shift this morning I connected my dynamo to the output port on my Revo and the Redeye to the input port. I only rode a few hundred meters but that looks enough to have damaged the Revo output electronics. The Revo still works but will no longer power the Redeye.
Has anyone else done this?
Are Exposure able to fix this, am I able to fix this - will be contacting them now to find out.
Cheers
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
johnnystorm

Re: Revo/Redeye input/output brain fart

Post by johnnystorm »

Take comfort you aren't the first person to do this. I can't recall the exact details but I think that people usually have a decent outcome from exposure. It'd be better if they used different plugs to stop you being able to make the mistake.
Last edited by johnnystorm on Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Duplicate
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I've done it.
Give exposure a call and tell them you're an idiot.
iirc they only charged me about £7 for the new resistor (or whatever it was) plus postage. :-bd
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Emailed this morning and waiting for a reply. I like the sound of £7. My idiocy is usually more costly :lol:
WSC
composite

Post by composite »

I had this repair done by Exposure 2 weeks ago and it was £17. Normal turn around is apparently 5-6 working days. I asked if it was possible for it to be fast-tracked because I had plans to do a trip and they kindly obliged. They received it Thursday, I had it back Monday morning if memory serves.

My routine now is to always plug the rear in first, and watch for it to come on from the residual power that's in the Revo.
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

My mate did it the evening before Paris Brest Paris this summer. Cost him 17 quid for the fix as above.
It did result in a bit of mild panic as we were thinking he didn't have a rear light for the ride. Then we realised we could put the red eye on my bike and plug it into my Strada and put my rear light on his bike.
The smart port connectors both being the same was both the cause of the problem and the solution.
Interestingly when the red eye was plugged into my Strada it was way brighter than it was plugged into a Revo (almost too bright).
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

a dynamo tends to only be able to do 3 watts [ and the front is taking the majority] so not that surprising it is brighter on a battery,
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I did it about 10 days into the TDR. At night. Right as I was pulling onto a road. Suffice to say I pedalled very fast in the dark until Hartsall.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Having done it twice I put white cable ties on my dynamo lead to give an extra physical reminder.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Bit strange that exposure have not changed the design as they must realise how often it happens - Not bashing them as I rate their stuff.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Dave Barter wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:25 pm Having done it twice I put white cable ties on my dynamo lead to give an extra physical reminder.
Good idea Dave.
I just changed how I was mounting the light from right way up to upside down. That plus being addled from a lack of sleep didn’t help.
Think i’ll remake the connector with different coloured heat shrink.
The plus side is Exposure have been in touch already and the fixing process is under way. £17 all in is the current idiot tax.
WSC
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

better to have something you can feel[ zip tie on one and not the other for example] as you need to be able to do this in the dark
composite

Post by composite »

lune ranger wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:28 am I just changed how I was mounting the light from right way up to upside down. That plus being addled from a lack of sleep didn’t help.
This is how I ended up doing it as well... :oops:
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

Obviously a design oversight by them. I suspect it's a common mistake to make in the dark and/or when tired.
Surprised they haven't added some blocking diodes to prevent any accidental damage from misconnection. It wouldn't involve any external redesign to connectors.
Just saying.... 🤪
Insanity over vanity
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

Got mine back on wednesday after sending it last Friday. Id snapped the lead - its a long story. On another occasion id plugged it in the wrong way round on the revo. (easily done in the dark so I've marked the redeye lead) Exposure fixed it then as well. They set a very high bar with their service and patience
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

still a shame they dont fix an obvious and know problem that is very easily fixable. Its not like having two diiferent connetors is a massive difficulty to do , you could even pre wire the light so you only have one port.
Dont get me wrongits great that they fix it, and yet they could/should realy fix it.

Still rate them and still going to keep using and raving about joysticks.