I know I shouldn't be surprised any more ....

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

I know I shouldn't be surprised any more ....

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Despite trying to be friendly, inclusive and helping to promote the joyful world of bikepacking for well over a decade, I can't help feel that the industry still views this place and those who frequent it with a degree of suspicion or unease.

Why so?

Well, because it seems odd that an article listing '10 UK bikepacking events to pit yourself against in 2020' makes no mention :wink:

https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/bikepacki ... W_vAAIC1KQ
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Re: Not entirely unexpected.

Post by jameso »

the industry still views this place and those who frequent it with a degree of suspicion or unease.
I don't think so, it's just not so well known generally? Alpkit had a fair bit on the WRT a while back didn't they?

BB events and WRT have just stayed grass-roots for so long. That's a good thing, right? I think Bearbones events suffer from / benefit from a lack of insta-fame and general marketing outside of here. And forums are an older demographic now aren't they, social media for us 40+ blokes (edit - not just blokes is it though, apologies)

I know at work (counts as 'the industry' I suppose) the 'sleeping in hedges' thing seems to be a running piss-take topic for me, I think that's a bit odd. Race the TD or ride across France in a week for a holiday and you're a 'hedge sleeper' but do an Ironman and everyone sees you as an Achiever :grin: yet I see them as a Pippi-longstockings wearing Triathlete, never a good look* :wink: (*joking really, mostly, it's all good)
Last edited by jameso on Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bearlegged

Re: I know I shouldn't be surprised any more ....

Post by Bearlegged »

You just need a few more sick edits and a TikTok account.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Well there's not many people, even 'bikepackers', who'd want to be in an unventilated space with more than one 'Boner I'm sure.

Nah, James is right, we do our own wierd thing and don't tick any normal boxes so why would they bother.

Still, it'd be nice to have some acknowledgment :smile: . No hang on, you'd be moaning more if we were in the list! :smile:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I don't think so, it's just not so well known generally? Alpkit had a fair bit on the WRT a while back didn't they?
Yes, we've always had a good relationship with Alpkit, after all, we got 'em into bikepacking :wink:
BB events and WRT have just stayed grass-roots for so long. That's a good thing, right? I think Bearbones events suffer from / benefit from a lack of insta-fame and general marketing outside of here. And forums are an older demographic now aren't they, social media for us 40+ blokes.
It is a good thing really James and I know that deep down I wouldn't want it any other way - my punk rock roots are too deep. I have written in the past how bikepacking is a pursuit for the older rider, so again, you're dead right :wink:
I know at work (counts as 'the industry' I suppose) the 'sleeping in hedges' thing seems to be a running piss-take topic for me, I think that's a bit odd. Race the TD or ride across France in a week for a holiday and you're a 'hedge sleeper' but do an Ironman and everyone sees you as an Achiever
Is that not simply ignorance laced with a little fear and self doubt on others behalf? I think it's the ignorance that sometimes gets to me a little ... heritage appears quite important to cyclists in general, yet any interest in heritage appears to vanish when people talk / write about bikepacking.
a TikTok account
A what?
jameso

Post by jameso »

Is that not simply ignorance laced with a little fear and self doubt on others behalf? I think it's the ignorance that sometimes gets to me a little ... heritage appears quite important to cyclists in general, yet any interest in heritage appears to vanish when people talk / write about bikepacking.
Maybe. I think cycling is easy to understand within day ride or short race format. As soon as you get into sleeping out it all seems a bit bushcraft-weirdo to many. Perhaps a need for escapism is a sign of being a bit odd or an outlier, but that doesn't explain the difference in how some events are perceived. Maybe the TCR or similar being road-based and cool overcomes the mud and grubby sleeping out aspect, the bivi aspect glossed over in the talk of distances and the Raphaesque imagery (all of which which I like, to be clear - not a critique).
jameso

Post by jameso »

who'd want to be in an unventilated space with more than one 'Boner
"With that, case closed m'lud" :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Maybe the TCR or similar being road-based and cool overcomes the mud and grubby sleeping out aspect, the bivi aspect glossed over in the talk of distances and the Raphaesque imagery (all of which which I like, to be clear - not a critique).
Very possibly. My industry insider often regales me with tales of customers who've entered one of the higher profile road / gravel events and yet have never camped / bivvied or even ridden a loaded bike, so yes, that aspect probably is glossed over.
Still, it'd be nice to have some acknowledgment
Although I shouldn't say it, there probably are some days (though not many) when I do feel a bit like that Reg. Back to the 'heritage' thing I suppose ... first and longest running bikepacking event in Europe. First and longest running ITT in Europe ... you know where I'm coming from.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Admit it Stu - your events just aren't the right fit for teh Insta. Its all about the reciprocation for influencers promoting them selves as much as an event, and your sleep in a ditch persona just isnt going to sell the stuffs :-bd

In all seriousness, I have only done one BB event and it was fab and none of my other favorite events are on that list and - thats a good thing IMO. Bike packing is the new gravel which was the new fatbike. The less the things I enjoy are monetized the better. There now seems to be a new event for every weekend of the year, each more pricey than the last and I think I have seen that Frontier 300 shoved at me via various channels over 100 times in the last week. Its just a c-t-c ride ffs!

Also I like the authors stuff generally as she obviously has a genuine passion for riding which comes across in what she does.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Also I like the authors stuff generally as she obviously has a genuine passion for riding which comes across in what she does.
Ooh I hadn't noticed Katherine had written it. I like Katherine but having spent 3 days riding with her in Scotland a couple of years ago, it kind of underlines my point :wink:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

It's possible that one or more of the chargeable events have paid for promotion (in some way).
RIP

Post by RIP »

Good point 'Routes, it is Red Bull after all. Not much money to be made out of all our copious BBB tea drinking (hmm...thinks... has anyone contacted TyPhoo recently? (other tannin-based beverages are available)).

Given that RB are keen on events that presumably 'require' lots of their product to be consumed by a rider to have any hope of 'succeeding' (chucking yourself off a cliff on an MTB for example), lord only knows what would happen if we consumed ten cans of the stuff immediately before sleeping in the aforementioned land-drainage-channels. Mismatch there methinks.

Look at all the words in the article - racing, ultra, exciting, races, mighty, epic, limits, tough, serious, ticking off, race, checkpoints, racing, timed... now I know the odd wierdo on Here :wink: is into that type of thing but....

...in no magazine or marketing tripe are you going to see smell, tramp, wander, temporarily geographically challenged orientationally, stench, tarp, downpour, Thing, hen house, slug, raging torrent, random, meths, ice, map, any Barter speciality words, tussock, poo trowel, panda, or - yes - ditch; and if/when you do then maybe our work is done and time to shut up shop. But we never will :-bd .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

I wouldn`t be that bothered, all the pictures look a bit too R@pha to me!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Ooh I hadn't noticed Katherine had written it.
She still has campfire pics on her insta for her 'school night bivi club' so perhaps that's where you're going wrong :wink: plus there's a lack of mug dangle at bb events.

You wouldn't want the sort of people that social media can attract, they'll only end up calling mountain rescue when their latte from the petrol station doesn't meet expectations :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
jameso

Post by jameso »

I do wonder if the mug-dangle r@pha hipster digs on here, or the ethics-stickler debates (er, guilty here), might come across in a way that alienates some. I realise the hipster stuff is tongue in cheek and comes from people who as far as I've met are all welcoming, friendly and easy going. But the flip side could be an equally friendly bikepacking crowd who think there's a purist fun police or 'thinks they're more real/hardcore' etc aspect to this or similar groups and the associations attach to the events? Yet we all know at any ride event everyone gets on fine and it's pretty much 'do what you like'.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

It is only meant in jest... apart from comments about fires.

I've got a shaved head with sideburns, ride a singlespeed, wear Crikey, how much bibs and have been disappointed by a petrol station latte, so I'm hardly in a position to criticise other people :lol:

I think the reach of Bearbones is wider than realised here, when I've worn my jersey at local events I've been quizzed about bikepacking by riders who've heard of the forum.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Gregsie

Post by Gregsie »

Well BB200 made this list Stuart, if that's any consolation. https://advntr.cc/events?fbclid=IwAR21a ... 3tdNr67_rs