Making a mini BB200 (green) custom BPing bag

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Making a mini BB200 (green) custom BPing bag

Post by redefined_cycles »

Just thought to post up in case it all goes horribly wrong or I die in the process (am using missus' cheapo sewing machine with the last needle, cheap thread, and me that cannot sew)...

Thanks to Karl for sacrificing the donor bags to make this dream a reality and thanks to my little one for sacrificing his Gelert bag (he's not bothered and looking forward to it... it even has a sweeties pocket and design cues from Wilcat themselves... with some green accents to fit in woth the badge :-bd )...

Anyway, say hi to, erm, Bob- V1 (in progress)

Last edited by redefined_cycles on Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

Re: A world first: BB200 (green) custom BPing bag

To go on AbdurRahmans Isla CNOC16
redefined_cycles

Re: Making a mini BB200 (green) custom BPing bag

Many hours, 1 broken needles, a mad rush to grab some needles from a very kind ebay seller who kindly broke protocol of postage only, lots of (attempts at) overengeneering, many unthreaded bags and hems, half a Chicanos burger and a plate of pasta, some gutterman thread and learning what winding the bobbin actually is, later, I present an unfinished unofficial Bearbones200 mini framebag...

:-bd

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Love it, but....

... red and green? :o

:lol:
redefined_cycles

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:14 am Love it, but....

... red and green? :o

:lol:
Thanks Colin... about 10 man hours I reckon and another 2 to finish off the ends

grin: that's a fairly good point on colour Maybe I will order another Deauter TT bag in blue for him :o
RIP

Post by RIP »

Good effort that :smile: . All it needs now is a 'Tommee Tippee' mug dangling off it - although probably a bit old for one of those I guess.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Good work Shaf

I find the smaller the bags are the harder they are to make so top effort to start with a mini frame bag :-bd
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:37 am Good effort that :smile: . All it needs now is a 'Tommee Tippee' mug dangling off it - although probably a bit old for one of those I guess.
Well Reg... I did think of a design detail where the BB200 would have a slot built into how it was attached for a chupa chupa or them other lollies. But decided against it as didn't wanna mess about with the badge too much :geek:

@sean (the sheep), whenever I'm doing my sewing shenanigans I always have you (master-sewer... or seamer) in the back of the mind. :grin: It even has hemming on the inside edges just like a Wld-Ct but couldn't do all the edges as I reckon another needle will go 'kaput'...
redefined_cycles

redefined_cycles

2 (or three) more broken needles later. At least the threads not breaking no more (gutterman bottom and top so I guess I need to invest in a better machine or needles... Beissel Codura grade are what keep breaking).

Glad its not my day job. Just some edging on that back end to go on and to decide whether I leave a hole in the front for lights*

*Would there be potential (as its handed forward through the Bearbones family) for a 5 year old thats got MtbBatery lights in the future, that'd end up making use of the gap!! :???:
redefined_cycles

Forgot to (or couldn't be bothered to... or didn't know how to easily) add straps up back to keep it taut. But seems to be clwaring the chainring ok enough...
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Good job. If you glued some inner tube to the back of the velcro straps you'd save the frame scraping.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Next time you make one - and there will be a next time - here's a tip...

It looks like the rear panel was the last one added, and that this was stitched from the outside, revealing the seams.

If you assemble the whole thing - including the last panel - inside out, then you can turn it right way out through the zip opening, leaving all of the seams on the inside.

Happy stitching!
redefined_cycles

Firstly, sorry for the late reply but very many thanks @Dave and @belugabob ... Dave, I will at some point attach or sew a little inner tube to the velcro straps (the posh 3m ones I'll have you know) so thabks for that... Belugabob, I did indeed make it inside out but upon educated guesstimates, I gathered that doing the back section inside out would render me with an inside out bag as it was starting to become rather stiff to turn it the right way round...

Added one last strap to the back (its a swanky D-flex one from my Rap*a top tube bag) to make it taut and reduce risk of getting soiled from the chain. Still looks a bit crude up front and up back but am happy with it and so is the little'un...

Thanks again all...

Oh... turns out my (misusses) cheap chinese machine ain't that bad afterall and remedied the thread breakages by swapping in the Gutterman as endorsed by Stu preciously on another thread. Now the problem is I've been through 7 sewing machine needles in total. 6 of Biessel wuality which are obviously not upto the job as they were grades 16 and 14. So, can anyone suggest me some decent sewing machine needles that wont keep breaking every few seams
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Belugabob, I did indeed make it inside out but upon educated guesstimates, I gathered that doing the back section inside out would render me with an inside out bag as it was starting to become rather stiff to turn it the right way round...
It can be a bit on the stiff side, but usually possible - definitely get a better finish, that way

As I haven't yet sorted out my Flickr account, you'll have to make do with a Dropbox link...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ipg9uwubmcsnx ... 7.jpg?dl=0

EDIT:

Ok - I've sorted Flickr...

ImageIMG_20171005_175454134 by belugabob, on Flickr
redefined_cycles

belugabob wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:03 pm
Belugabob, I did indeed make it inside out but upon educated guesstimates, I gathered that doing the back section inside out would render me with an inside out bag as it was starting to become rather stiff to turn it the right way round...
It can be a bit on the stiff side, but usually possible - definitely get a better finish, that way

As I haven't yet sorted out my Flickr account, you'll have to make do with a Dropbox link...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ipg9uwubmcsnx ... 7.jpg?dl=0

EDIT:

Ok - I've sorted Flickr...

ImageIMG_20171005_175454134 by belugabob, on Flickr
That looks solid. Seems like you've used the vislon YKK zippers used for the newer Revelate stuff (I used similar to swap out my WC frame bag zipper).

Hopefully one day soon I'll have as clean workmanship as your good self :-bd

Regards the inside out thing with mine maybe if it wasn't that small and I hadn't used rigid (feels like leather belt) material in some of the edging, then I'd stand a greater chance in tunring it inside out and in and.. well, you know
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

As far as the workmanship goes, it just takes a little practice...

* First one to realise you've got the wrong material and/or sewing skills
* Second one to get the order of construction sorted out
* Third one to arrive at something you trust to not explode mid ride
* Fourth one for your mate, who you've convinced to ride to Paris and back
* Fifth one for your road bike, for longer trips
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I'm up to 6 frame bags now, 3 full frame and 3 partial.

Even small and stiff bags can be made inside-out, I always assume that if the stitching were to fail whilst I turned it the right way round then it would fail in use. If it's a struggle to turn it the right way round and it stays intact it passed, all have been OK so far.

Top tip, make sure the zip is in the open position before sewing the last seam, it's quite tricky to open a zip if the puller is on the inside of a sewn up inside-out frame bag :oops:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
redefined_cycles

Thanks guys... I've already ordered myself the correct needles for the next time. Now to go earn that (bam and Rapha500) badge so I've got a logo for the newun... Then will start working on materials ordering and zippers.

Next one coming up will be for daughter (9) who obviously needs one now...