Winter bivvy, Scotland

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JimmyG

Re: Winter bivvy, Scotland

Post by JimmyG »

There’s a massive area near Samye Ling on the side of the timber haulage road that’s big enough to park in.

Link: https://goo.gl/maps/Xg4KV6Y4v3fxoMWQ8

Maybe a hundred yards up the hill from that lorry.
[/quote]

Have now checked this out on GE. Cheers Alasdair.
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

When we went to Greensykes in January, we parked in Eskdalemuir. There is a small car park opposite a modern cafe/visitor centre. The folks that run the place were happy for us to park there. The cafe did a good Sunday lunch.
BaM 2021
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

There is a carpark just to the south of Samye Ling, but that is for the temple only - you can't park there. About a quarter of a mile south of that is a small carpark (ten cars maybe) opposite the tea rooms that is free and you can park there overnight.

If you are coming from Moffat then I would suggest avoiding the hellishness that is the Romans and Reivers route at Gorrogill. It's very, very steep, never ending and slippery. I absolutely hated it. If you really must come that way then take your bags off the bike at the bottom and get the bike up before going back down for them.
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

Borderer wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:50 pm There is a carpark just to the south of Samye Ling, but that is for the temple only - you can't park there. About a quarter of a mile south of that is a small carpark (ten cars maybe) opposite the tea rooms that is free and you can park there overnight.
Sounds like the same place I'm talking about. .
BaM 2021
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Borderer wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:50 pm If you are coming from Moffat then I would suggest avoiding the hellishness that is the Romans and Reivers route at Gorrogill. It's very, very steep, never ending and slippery. I absolutely hated it. If you really must come that way then take your bags off the bike at the bottom and get the bike up before going back down for them.
"Stop being soft". Ha ha, only joking, that Garrogil push really is a bugger!
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Ray Young wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:30 pm
Borderer wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:50 pm If you are coming from Moffat then I would suggest avoiding the hellishness that is the Romans and Reivers route at Gorrogill. It's very, very steep, never ending and slippery. I absolutely hated it. If you really must come that way then take your bags off the bike at the bottom and get the bike up before going back down for them.
I nearly wrote something like - of course if you feel the need to prove your manliness in pointlessly difficult tasks then by all means go ahead.... :wink:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Borderer wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:48 pm
Ray Young wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:30 pm
I nearly wrote something like - of course if you feel the need to prove your manliness in pointlessly difficult tasks then by all means go ahead.... :wink:
Sounds good to me, always up for something pointlessly difficult plus the walk will be good for my knees :-bd 'twill be even better riding back down it :mrgreen:
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

htrider wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:10 pm 'twill be even better riding back down it :mrgreen:
:o , :???: , :lol: .

I've only come down it once and I walked most of it. I must stop being soft, I must stop being soft, I must stop being soft.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Ray Young wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:19 pm
htrider wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:10 pm 'twill be even better riding back down it :mrgreen:
:o , :???: , :lol: .

I've only come down it once and I walked most of it. I must stop being soft, I must stop being soft, I must stop being soft.
You need a dropper post, then you can get down anything :-bd
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Please wear a gopro so that we can all watch and laugh as you ride down that thing, or fly down it.... :lol:
Ian

Post by Ian »

Ian wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:37 pm Count me in. Haven't worked out where "where" is yet, but I have plenty of time to work it out :)
With a bit of an unforeseen diary clash, I can't make the official weekend now - apologies. Was looking forward to meeting a few new faces.

Planning to head out this weekend instead, and as I'm down in Cumbria this Friday, might see if I can plan a route with this bothy as a destination.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Weather looking a bit yukky, hope no-one else is in the Bothy.....
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

Unfortunately Fraser and I will miss out this weekend. Struck down by the lurgy. Have a great trip for those who go.
BaM 2021
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Weather looking a bit yukky, hope no-one else is in the Bothy.....
Does look wet, and cold enough to be unpleasant, but not quite cold enough to snow/freeze (during the day at least).

I'm still intending to ride in from Langholm. If anyone wants company from Eskdalemuir, I'll try to time my arrival to meet at Samye Ling. Otherwise I'll just see you at the bothy.

I'll bring a tent, but hoping not to have to use it!
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

So who's going? I'm driving down from Edinburgh with Jamie P and, based on earlier advice on here, will park up at the cafe in Eskdalemuir and ride in from there. We'll have something to eat there then aim to be at the bothy before last light. In case of a. Another party having beaten us to it and b. Snorers(!), I'll be bringing my outdoor sleeping kit to cover all options!
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

All being well I'll be there. Still debating whether to ride in from Peebles or Moffat. Should arrive early evening ish.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

I'm out I'm afraid gents, nowt to do with the weather, we just moved house 2 weeks ago and it's turned into a far larger task than was anticipated. :|
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Just getting my gear together here.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I was unable to attend for DIY reasons too.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Hey guys, one of you left your keys behind at the bothy. I have them and have now left the bothy and am on my way to eskdalemuir via the Romans and reivers. I should be there by 2pm, after that I will head back to Hawick via buccleuch.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Hi Bridget. As per our PM exchange, seems they were left by a previous visitor. Thanks for letting us know, though!
stucowp

Post by stucowp »

Forgot this was on this weekend, only happened to remember when I saw you all coming down the trail from Black Esk Reservoir cracking weather all weekend you’ve had for certain.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I thought I recognised your face Stu but couldn't place it! We met on the Yorkshire Winter bivvy a couple of years back.

Aye, cracking weather... I'm only a little bit disappointed by the lack of snow. Seems to have been the best weather of any of this year's winter bivvys - in the Borders, who'd have thought it.

Will post some photos sometime next week - got DIY to do myself. About to do some plastering before bed!