Quilt/Matt set up..

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rufus748

Quilt/Matt set up..

Post by rufus748 »

Used my quilt for the first time in anger on the WRT. (A Rev X 30 overstuffed) Saturday night was a touch chilly confirmed by the frozen water bottle in the morning... :shock:
So how do you set up your quilt and matt? I had mine on top the matt, but looking around there seems to be different ways.
Do you put your matt in the foot box and wrap the quilt under the matt or foot box on top and wrap it under the matt?
Dan_K

Re: Quilt/Matt set up..

Post by Dan_K »

I've only used mine on my Scotland trip. Both nights were around 3 degrees. I sealed it up like a sleeping bag. I tried the mat inside the footbox and straps underneath but didn't like being "pinned" to the mat and the mat I was using wasn't the warmest.
I think in warmer temps, i'll slip the mat inside the footbox and then leave it open as a quilt. I don't think it's as warm as a conventional sleeping bag but it offers other benefits such as weight and as a hobo smock in place of a down jacket.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If I'm using one without a bivvy bag and it's a coldish night I do the straps up under the quilt and have the entire quilt on top of the mat. That seems to seal out any draughts better than having the straps under the mat. It also reduces any dead air space under the quilt.

If I'm using a bivvy bag then I don't bother with the straps ... mat inside bivvy bag, quilt on top and me between the two ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
Matt

Post by Matt »

What am I missing here? Surely that's the same as a sleeping bag?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What am I missing here? Surely that's the same as a sleeping bag?
Usually works out lighter / more packable than a sleeping bag of a similar rating.
royAB

Post by royAB »

Hopefully not a hijack but, while on the topic of quilts, some help please.

Problem; I sleep on my front & like to have the 'hood' bit of the bag above me to keep out bugs, light etc. (Most?) Mummy bags have a differential fill (thinner on the 'base') so flipping the bag to have the 'long' bit over my head means the 'thin' fill is on top so a colder bag.

Quilts would seem to be a great way to solve the 'thin fill on top' issue, but all the ones I've seen seem only long enough to come up to the neck. Can anyone point me in the direction of one that is longer (or an outfit that will customise)?

Ta All
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Down hood or hat is the usual solution, I believe. Think FF has one if you want opinions / sources. Personally I just use a merino beanie that's big enough to be pulled lower over ears and eyes. On One did a good one that was in sales a while ago (black with the star logo at front).

Do bag manufacturer's really make them with less fill on the bottom? Honestly curious, thought it was pretty uniform and "thinner"/less effective fill was because sleeping on it compressed it.
royAB

Post by royAB »

Cheer CM, tried the down hood /beanie thing & it just doesn't work for me - just not enough 'cover' for eyes, ears, neck etc.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

There's a template for a hood style thing on the Ultimate Hang blog. Might be able to mod' that?

Detachable down jacket hood and a natty night mask (whatever you call those things folks put over their eyes)?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I have a rater natty balaclava for when it's proper cold ... should be a pic of it on the post man thread.

I'm sure Tim at Enlightened would be able to extend a quilt or modify one in some way. I recall that someone was selling MYOG quilt kits that had a hood but can't find any details at the minute but I'll keep looking.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

the cumulus 250 quilt i have has elastic string which has the duel function of closing up the 'slit' on the underside of the quilt and has slidelocks so you can fasten it to your mat. it works well with either a thin foam ora full length neoair.

the straps mean the quilt stays still as i move about under it. also works well with a 'supplementary' sleeping bag inside it when its a bit colder...
royAB

Post by royAB »

Cheeky Monkey wrote:Do bag manufacturer's really make them with less fill on the bottom? Honestly curious, thought it was pretty uniform and "thinner"/less effective fill was because sleeping on it compressed it.
Good question.

I've 'assumed' that' differential fill' means just that. But, on the basis that assumptions are usually wrong, I thought best to at least have a good look at the 2 bags I use most (PD 600 & Mountain Hardware Spirit SL)...

Test (if you can call it that) was to cup my hands around a section and squash. So, while clearly not up to DIN standards, it did suggest that the PD was thicker on top than the bottom (Alpkit comment/confirm?). The MH was harder to tell - heavier outer fabric - but I'd 'say' it is slightly thicker on top too.

G*d, sorting sleeping bags is a right :?
Last edited by royAB on Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Fair enough. Wait until (if) you ever have to go the TQ / UQ route of hammocks. Nerd heaven :lol:

Contemplating a splurge on a dedicated UQ for a Warbonnet Ridge Runner (Bridge Hammock) but whether to get the full length or 3/4s, the regular or winter fill, overstuff or not. Nevermind wondering whether, really, I could just keep jury rigging one of my existing quilts and whether to keep the bridge style or just run gathered end hammocks. Oh, and whether to wait for the sale and how to get it to the UK without getting screwed for import duty etc.

See, it's all a nightmare ;)
royAB

Post by royAB »

Fortunately having to climb through nettles to reach suitable trees has meant I've firmly ruled out hammocks and all that goes with them :-)
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I can honestly say I've never had to clear nettles for a hang but hey, each to their own 8-)
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

The differential fill thing doesn't suit my sleeping style. My bag seems always to roll with me, so as soon as I'm on my side the lower side is as much exposed as the front side.

Fairly certain my PHD bags aren't differential as such as you can shift the down 360' yourself through the baffles. Reportedly this is to allow users to set it to how they prefer.
royAB

Post by royAB »

'Moving the down around' does sound like a good idea (enLightened offer the 'KARO' system eg) but is it much use in practise?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

'Moving the down around' does sound like a good idea (enLightened offer the 'KARO' system eg) but is it much use in practise?
Can't see that it matters as much with a quilt, in fact I had my Enlightened quilt overstuffed to help prevent the down moving through the baffles.

I think i's fair to say that most sleeping bags are designed for very quiet back sleepers ;)
royAB

Post by royAB »

Yup, pretty much the conclusion I was coming to - on both counts :-)