That film is available

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

That film is available

Post by FLV »

You know, the one face book made a big fuss over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEEGIt6FC34

(Lael's tour divide film, free on Pearl Izumi's pootube page)

Edit: Quite liked it generally, clearly a very different film than it may have been without the controversy.
Richpips

Re: That film is available

Post by Richpips »

A great film mostly. It *nearly makes me want to do the route again

I'm quite saddened that so much of it had to be taken up justifying the BS controversy though.

*Only to smoke some dope with Kirstin for a few days.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Great film and story well told. Sub-titles a bit distracting though. Started watching on a tablet and then switched to a bigger screen where not so obtrusive,

Hmmm Kirstin's spliffs :-bd

(
saddened that so much of it had to be taken up justifying the BS controversy though
. Agreed)
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Haven't watched it yet.

Read the article by Lael's partner (the film-maker) that popped up around the time she scratched. I didn't like it, found the tone and beliefs / assumptions / statements in and behind it to be problematic (for me).

Whatever, it's not a popularity contest is it? As a rider. incredibly impressive.
Last edited by Cheeky Monkey on Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Enjoyed that, thanks for posting
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Thanks for the link. Will watch this tonight :)
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I thought it was a bit meh. Jumped around the scenery a lot and was mainly a vehicle to get off her chest how pissed off she was with the Facebook group. Fair enough, there were a lot of haters crawling out the woodwork but then a fair number of people who told them to wind their necks in, myself included.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Is the "other" film available?
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

So even filmed the other film?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Yeah I wondered if the other film was available too...

She seemed genuinely annoyed at the shot Facebook post hoohar.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Should have risen above it in my view. You don’t watch a David Attenborough film and listen to him banging on about Twitter climate change deniers. Those of us in the race gave no shits about what was happening in Facebook. We had other stuff to deal with.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I’ve not seen the Josh Ibbett / Hunt film popup on you tube yet, just a teaser snippet and a bike check video 4 months ago
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I enjoyed it, it's amazing how it compares to "Ride the divide" just because HD/4K video looks so much nicer. It was also great to see some bits that I *just* recognised because I went through in the dark, etc.

My wife is under no illusions that I want to have another go at it....

I can forgive them having to go over the controversy as a) there wasn't a record to celebrate and it pre-empts the inevitable comments underneath.

YT also serves up Lael's gearjunky q&a which was also a good watch. She comes across as a nice and normal person (apart from being a riding RoboCop obvs). I've also promised my five year old daughter we'll go to Florida so she can get her driving licence in a day. :lol:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Thanks for posting, watched it last night.

Was a bit disappointed but the film TBH. Given all the effort they went to to film it, and the "sacrifices" she made, I did think it was a good piece of filmmaking.

It was very disjointed: the start, "omg I just love riding my bike", Brush Mountain Lodge, moaning about Facebook, "omg a sunset, isn't this great," the end.

Fair enough, mention the Facebook controversy, but don't make a big thing of it, it just blows it out of proportion.

If you hadn't dotwatched the riders getting held up at Brush Mountain Lodge, it wasn't always clear what was happening. The bit waiting for Chris Seistrup to arrive at the finish was also a bit weird confusing to the unfamiliar (though maybe captured the strange anticlimactic atmosphere that Dave describes). Watched it with my girlfriend and had to explain bits to her. I guess most of the audience will be "well informed" though.

Had its moments though.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I enjoyed it. Not in the same way that I enjoyed Dave's opus but engaging nonetheless. I too thought the subtitles were unnecessary, should only have been used where the audio was inaudible. The most disturbing part of the film to me were the dot watchers both route-side and on the phone, I think Kirstin was being very diplomatic and had the cameras not been there would have had more to say.

I think they were going to get naysayers no matter what they did regarding the FB "controversy", don't mention it and they are "brushing it under the carpet", talk about it and you get "why the moaning?". Did anyone come out of it well? Ask again in a decade.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

her love for cycling shinesthrough and that is inspirational

Had very little on he actual ride , route, her kit, times etc

I understand why she was annoyed by the FB thi ng though I side "against" her, especially if someone else was also doing it- her comments have made me thing FWIW

Nice to see the end and I liked his wife sign!

Daves was much much better for letting you know what it was like to actually ride the divide rather than love riding the divide but she does come acoss as someoen who just loves cycling and wants to spread the word and the love

you tube had a 20 questions with her and one was you get a week off what do you do and she then described a cycling holiday - I think that is what sums her up most - love of cycling and a desire to spread the word - History will decide is this year helped or hindered
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I enjoyed it overall, scenery always makes me want to return even if only to tour as far south as Denver to save time and enjoy.

I saw Lael a couple of years ago in Geraardsbergen but was a bit overawed - just muttered something about enjoying watching her races from a distance.

BTW Chris Seistrup has indicated interest in riding next year's TCR08 and with Fiona K indicating she will defend her title something to watch if you have no adventure of your own planned.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Having watched it I'd echo what's been said above, it didn't really stand up as a film, I had to explain what was going on to Jane.

Lael said she wanted to make a film to showcase the route and also she wanted to beat her record which is fine, but perhaps it would have been better to do them separately.

Ride the race and go for the record, no fuss and no film. Then ride the route and film it, stop and talk to all the people who support the route, show all the famous sites along the way and showcase the route.

As for the winge about the FB group, I don't know why she expected anything else. It's against the rules as they currently stand. Asking Matt if it was ok was hardly fair on him. What if he said no, would Lael's sponsors just have said 'ok, we wont bother'? It put him in an impossible position.

As for her comment that it's been filmed before and the previous film was mainly about Matt, that was before the rules changed. That's like a current F1 driver saying they should be allowed a turbo as Alain Prost had one in 1986 :roll:

The film did highlight just how much the picture quality has improved since Ride the Divide was filmed. It was nice to see some of the other competitors as well.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

sean_iow wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:15 am Then ride the route and film it, stop and talk to all the people who support the route, show all the famous sites along the way and showcase the route.
I really really really want to do this but I'm not a good enough filmmaker. I want to see more mid/backpack racers. I want to film people other than Kirstin and Kathy (both of whom are lovely) that are part of the race. There are so many characters down the line that need to be on film. For example, Jeff Sharpe, Wild Bill, Russ at High Country Lodge etc... And FFS Crazy Larry!

Equally the route needs to be told in its reality. It is not all mountain vistas and glorious sunsets. It's a shitload of everything including 100s of miles on roads.

I spent so much time thinking about going back and doing just that, filming the race from mid-pack down and making people realise that there's as much story there (if not more) than up the front. Such a film with high production values would be off the scale ace. Sadly sponsorship does not reach that far back into the pack.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I must watch RtD again. Other than technological improvements I do recall it being a better movie, though maybe my memory is playing tricks.

I can only guess that there's a lot of footage not used and that the whole project would have ended up very different if Lael had gone on to beat the record. I didn't follow the dots during the race so much of what was happening just appeared very random to me.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I know I didn't like the article by Rue at the time but I really enjoyed the film. Agree chaotic and confusing at times but she clearly loves riding and the views / scenery were vaguely exciting :-bd :cool: Then again my only other TD watching was Dave's classic so these two efforts really are opposite ends of the outlook-spectrum :cool:

I even found her piece to camera about the whole FB thing fine. Didn't come across to me as a big whinge, more a discussion.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

As for her comment that it's been filmed before and the previous film was mainly about Matt, that was before the rules changed. That's like a current F1 driver saying they should be allowed a turbo as Alain Prost had one in 1986
It not really its more like saying they could film Prost racing then but not the racers racing now as its now cheating.

Does anyone know why the rule was changed - was it simply to eliminate the possibility of support?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I think it was added to the rules at the same time as the visitation rule. It's meant to make it an even playing field for all riders, overseas riders are unlikely to have friends and family along the route.

My point was that Lael's comments are misleading for people not familiar with the rules. When Ride The Divide was made there was no rule prohibiting filming so it's not relevant to say a previous rider was filmed other than to make out she was being singled out.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

As a result of this thread I just watched Lee and Rickies "Divided" again (it's currently on Amazon Prime). It's a much better movie.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

sean_iow wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:03 pm I think it was added to the rules at the same time as the visitation rule. It's meant to make it an even playing field for all riders, overseas riders are unlikely to have friends and family along the route.

My point was that Lael's comments are misleading for people not familiar with the rules. When Ride The Divide was made there was no rule prohibiting filming so it's not relevant to say a previous rider was filmed other than to make out she was being singled out.
The TD webpage was always notoriously lacking updates but I'm not sure filming per se is outlawed, more the "boost" she mentioned knowing you'd be safe/looked out for.

Nobody seemed to bat an eyelid in 2012 when a record attempt was made with a film crew in tow and no other riders to "police" it.

https://vimeo.com/53659294