Highland Trail 550 - 2020

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

stevewaters

Highland Trail 550 - 2020

Post by stevewaters »

Hi All - I'm new to the Forum but thought I would start with this ! :smile:

Entries for next year's Highland Trail 550 open on 23rd November (http://www.highlandtrail.net).

I did it as an ITT this year (the week before the group start) and the experience has changed my life (mostly for the better!).

I hear there are a few route changes for 2020.

Anyway, I will be requesting a place - Who else will be too or is mulling it over ?
ScotRoutes

Re: Highland Trail 550 - 2020

Post by ScotRoutes »

Seriously considering the HT550 next year but as a solo effort. No point in taking up a place of someone who wants to race it and wouldn't want to feel forced to maintain a pace.
Boab

Post by Boab »

It's on my list of things to do. Not next year though, I need to get a few other routes under my belt first.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I'd like to go back but it's Jane's (wife's) birthday on the 28th and it's her 50th. Not sure we can afford for her to come up to Scotland with me as there'd be her accommodation to pay for whilst I was out riding. I'd have to get round in 4 days and drive home (500 miles) on the 5th to be home in time. Even if she was happy for me to go I'm also not sure my head would be in it if I was going to be away for her birthday.

So if I do go it will have to be an ITT next year. I've seen Alan's teasers for the new sections on his Instagram, they looked like fun but the sun was shining in all of the pictures :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Karl

Post by Karl »

Yep. I'll be throwing my hat in for a place. It's going to be lovely weather - well it can't be any worse than last year :shock:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:44 am So if I do go it will have to be an ITT next year. I've seen Alan's teasers for the new sections on his Instagram, they looked like fun but the sun was shining in all of the pictures :grin:
I presume one of them is the Great Glen Way above Fort Augustus that Alastair suggested last year. I can think of a couple of other sections, one of which would be truly horrible (think along the lines of pushing over peat hags for two hours) and the other is one I think he's considered for a while.

I've not done enough in the last couple of years to justify applying for a place on the group start but am considering an ITT depending on how I feel.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

Thanks. Yes - I'd heard rumours that the Postie's Path was out in favour of the Tollie Path.
It looks like the Coffin Road might be out too.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

stevewaters wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:17 pm Thanks. Yes - I'd heard rumours that the Postie's Path was out in favour of the Tollie Path.
It looks like the Coffin Road might be out too.
No!!!! The Postie's Path was one of the best bits :cry:

I can think of one alternative to the Coffin Road - I remember Phil Clarke talking about it but it sounded, err, interesting
Mart

Post by Mart »

Hi Steve,
Yes more than likely again, but will do as an ITT again as not managed to complet yet.
(unlikely for me to get a place otherwise)

If you cycle fast you might overtake me again :lol:
Mart
2924 miles per Gallon
Holgateeng

Post by Holgateeng »

Did it in 2018 when the weather was stunning , can't be that lucky again so probably not :lol:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Coffin Road re-route looks interesting.
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

Mart wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:22 pm Hi Steve,
Yes more than likely again, but will do as an ITT again as not managed to complet yet.
(unlikely for me to get a place otherwise)

If you cycle fast you might overtake me again :lol:
Mart
Hi Mart - I was gutted to have overshot the Suilag Bothy and missed meeting you (and sharing that lovely firewood you brought in from Lochinver!)
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Oh ffs he's put the climb out of Ben Alder cottage in - straight up the hillside to 840. Descent is supposed to be a corker though. May mean getting to the Pizza shop is a bit tighter

I can't read the posts on those instagram links - can somebody oblige (or calling Alan get yersel on here and explain yourself :lol: ) Tollie path plus A832 with NC500 traffic is defo a lot worse than the postie path (which is one of the best bits of the route in my view :mrgreen: ) although the Tollie path itself is a good trail (and not sh*te at all)

Going via Loch Dampf is a good thing. (I suggested this to Alan a few years ago but he said he preferred the Strath Mulzie route). Unlike what the map says its all double track but a real good rocky one

As for missing out the Coffin road, if he's taking the route via Loch a Bhroin then all I can say is be afraid, be very afraid :mrgreen: Wonder how he's going to get there tho?? There is a way mostly off road but involves an iffy river crossing and a more iffy fence crossing.... Edit, just seen the second pic above - yes he is going that way as thats the big slabs. Oh f*ck More editing, finally worked out instagram - he's doing the route I did a few years ago to get to Loch a Bhroin....

Also the original Torridon route is in via Coire Lair - 0-666 in 3 stages and an interesting hike a bike at the top.

Good stuff, means previous times need not apply as its very different, and a lot harder.... Add 5-7 hours or so.....
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Phil, I've been chatting with Sean about this, your name came up a few times :grin:

Not done the Bealach Breabag climb and descent but current KOM on Strava is an hour for the climb and about 25mins for the descent which isn't too different from the Bealach Dubh route. Quite what extra it will take out of everyone is anyone's guess.

I think putting in the Loch a Bhraoin track straight before Fisherfield is why he's dropped the Postie's Path (one of my favourite bits as well) as it's just one big block of hurt otherwise. Poolewe is probably three to four hours closer than Kinlochewe.

Has he changed Torridon back to the original route?
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

Thanks Sean. I have only just realised that each link has a whole set of photos and scrollable comments to the right ! :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

whitestone wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:33 pm I think putting in the Loch a Bhraoin track straight before Fisherfield is why he's dropped the Postie's Path (one of my favourite bits as well) as it's just one big block of hurt otherwise. Poolewe is probably three to four hours closer than Kinlochewe
And?! In July when I got to the turn off for Letterewe I figured that the Postie path would be easier than Tollie / A 832. Its a lot quicker. That said the descent to to the Farm is a beaut and I'm lead to believe the cow sh*t bog is no more
whitestone wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:33 pm Has he changed Torridon back to the original route?
His pic shows him on the climb out of Annat. I suppose he could be using the '13 route over to Coulags rather than the full monty over the Bealach na lice which explains the "other bothy" comment

Ben Alder cottage to Culra via the direct route is a lot shorter but will cause a bit of teeth gritting. Look at it as a way to rest contact points after the first 50 miles :mrgreen:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

His pic shows him on the climb out of Annat
Which pic?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I meant for resupply. Obviously you've then got the Tollie path and the length of Loch Maree to do to get back to the common point of both routes at Kinlochewe.
Mart

Post by Mart »

htrider wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:42 pm
"other bothy" comment
I was thinking this meant Lochivraon
2924 miles per Gallon
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

More intel - Ben Alder, no route change. Out of Croftown keep on the road to its end then the track to its end up the west side of the burn (the Abhain cuileag) - 'The Auchindrean Path'. So the pic of Alans bike by the ramshackle footbridge is just for show. Apparently you can keep up this side of the burn on a singletrack with about 1k of boggy stuff up to the road. Then right enough Loch a Bhraoin into Strath sealga. Tollie path is in but Torridon is the same route. So not that much change but back to the full 550 miles.....

So Lochivaron and Knock Damph are the two new bothies. :-bd
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

Just a nudge that 2020 entries for the Highland Trail 550 open tomorrow. - Good luck ! :-bd

http://www.highlandtrail.net/
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

Have sent my email to Alan. Hope I get to ride!
Feels like a long time since I last rode the Highland Trail.
garydavies44

Post by garydavies44 »

Hi all. I did the BB200 this year and loved it. Now want to give HT550 a crack in 2020.

How do I go about entering it? No guidance is provided on the website.

Thanks
Gary
Chew

Post by Chew »

You'll need to send Alan an email, to prove your competency via other events.

Dont believe the BB200 counts, but things like the Cairngorms Loop, Northern Loop of the Highland trail and various other routes.
Basically you have to prove you have the capability to ride in remote places, over harsh terrain.

I'd look to do a few more ITT's next year with a view to enter in 2021 :-bd