Broken Riders - Joining The Party (Long Read)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Re: Broken Riders - Joining The Party (Long Read)

Post by Richard G »

Drilling my groin you say? You're not making this sound any better... :lol:

Edit - There's an update at the end of the last page for anyone that's interested.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Keep the chin up Richard. You seem to be coping and i'm impressed.

Really hope things keep trending to the better regardless of interim setbacks.

Keep at it!!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Not really an update as such, though I will do one when I get the time...

I'm hoping to come to the BB200 without my crutch. I'm not 100% sure it'll be possible right now but I'm going to give it a try. Just a small target to hit that should make me feel a bit better about things.

Missus can always carry me if the worst comes to the worst. :shock:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Just seen the update on last page Richard... Well done and keep it up. On a serious note though, you should add honey into your diet as a daily thing... Pre using honey like I'm Winnie the Poo, I got 2 pneumonias (post the heart infection) but now its been almost 15 months I reckon and even though I've got this chronic cough, the chest infection are staying well and truely away... :-bd
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Honey you say? MrsPB recently won her bike's weight in honey so we're working our way through a small lake of it.
redefined_cycles

Wow... and that'll be some nice unpasteurised stuff from one of the Spanish forests :-bd nice... Spanish rainforest honey is ace...
redefined_cycles

pistonbroke wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:01 am Honey you say? MrsPB recently won her bike's weight in honey so we're working our way through a small lake of it.
Gimme some :lol:
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Times like that you wish the bike was made from iron and loaded for a multi-day
redefined_cycles

Just to quantify what you've won PB... I usually get the nice spanish rainforest stuff from rawhoneyshop and a 5kg tub can cost anywhere between £70 (on offer) to £120. Or buying per kg which is what I usually can only afford is around £19 per kg....

Gonna guess that bike weighs around 13kg or more... hence, you lady and gent team ain't done too bad...

Yesterday we had someone with a pressure sore on his bottom (elderly 100 year old gent who came to hospital after a fall and who knows how ling he eas on floor at home for .. not too long as he was looking good upon getting to the assessment unit). We popped some medihoney on the sore (watered down version of the proper stuff, but they need to make their money them there pharmaceutical companies)... I'm confident that if the ward keep smothering the hiney cream on the sore it'll be healed by thw weekend (inshaAllah/God-Willing)...

:-bd
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

What with the prizes for category wins, which we both won as well, and the weight thing where they gave us the rest of the boxes after the photo, we came back with about 25kg! Our village is reknowned throughout Spain for it's honey and exports all over the EU. A 1kg jar retails for about 10 euros so we did quite well. Spanish rainforest is a new one on me, we've got plenty of forests but not much rain, sounds like marketing bs to me. A few weeks ago I was out on a trip further south and met an old guy carrying a tray full of honeycomb, complete with bees, he gave me a chunk to eat which was delicious, the only downside was my hands sticking to the grips for the rest of the ride.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

It's all fun and games until you're eaten by bears.

Reminds me though, I really should check on my bees... but it's kinda hard to get a bee suit on and hobble around with a crutch.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Richard G wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:04 pm It's all fun and games until you're eaten by bears.

Reminds me though, I really should check on my bees... but it's kinda hard to get a bee suit on and hobble around with a crutch.
I thought they were Char's little pets?
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Ha, no. She wouldn't even fit in the bee suit. Way too tall.
redefined_cycles

pistonbroke wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:28 pm Spanish rainforest is a new one on me, we've got plenty of forests but not much rain,
:o sorry... my bad. I only remember reading about the forest where the rawhoneyshop (he's very good and only sources from where he's been personally and interacted with the beekeepers) stated one of mine came from and (being high mountain- does that sound more accurate) and just added the 'rain' on... my bad :smile:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Richard G wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:53 pm Ha, no. She wouldn't even fit in the bee suit. Way too tall.
Good save :-bd :lol:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Ha... no she legitimately towers over me. If she's wearing her heels then it's hilarious. :shock:
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

you both look the same size when pictured in a bar somewhere round the word drinking god knows what in a funny shaped glass.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

:lol:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Feeling a lot more confident that I'll be able to at least walk into The Star / from my car to the classroom without my crutch. At least, assuming I don't have any more setbacks.

I'm still going to bring my crutch, but I'm hoping not to use it.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Walking in is the easy bit walking up to your room with a belly fully of whisky might be more interesting.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

People will assume I'm walking drunk when I turn up, let alone when I leave. :lol:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Thanks to everyone for the supportive words and for humouring the fraud in your midst this weekend. :lol:

I was pleased at being able to walk pretty well on the Friday and Saturday, though soreness and general fatigue meant I was limping a little bit today.

I shall continue recovering, and will report back after my next (and hopefully final) consultant appointment.
techno

Post by techno »

Richard G wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:11 pm Thanks to everyone for the supportive words and for humouring the fraud in your midst this weekend. :lol:

I was pleased at being able to walk pretty well on the Friday and Saturday, though soreness and general fatigue meant I was limping a little bit today.

I shall continue recovering, and will report back after my next (and hopefully final) consultant appointment.
Good to meet you Rich + Char (Andy with the purple stooge.)
Glad you're making progress with your recovery.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Update time...

Just got back from the hospital and apparently the fracture that wasn't healing has now started to heal. Consultant has said that I can basically get back to doing everything I was doing, just not falling off bikes.

No idea when I'll try riding a bike again though, or where (maybe Scotland?)... but at least it's something I can consider doing now. For the moment I'll just be happy to be able to squat / deadlift etc. Obviously I'll need to take that sort of stuff slowly to start with.

I still need to arrange to get my bone density / blood clotting factors checked. Plus, turns out I was taking my blood thinners for a month and a half longer than I needed to. :???:

Still getting pain, especially when I sleep, but I'm sure that will fade in time. I think the nerves might be recovering too as I'm starting to feel sensation at top of my leg more lately.

So yeah... fingers crossed for the last few bits of recovery. Onwards and upwards! :grin:
techno

Post by techno »

Excellent news rich, you'll be thrashing us all round hills of wales before you know it!!
(that sounds wrong doesn't it :lol: )