Another fancy toolkit

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Another fancy toolkit

Post by whitestone »

An interesting use of a bit of spare space - https://bikepacking.com/gear/wolf-tooth ... -tool-kit/, even works on drop bars apparently. But $120 or £150 by the time it gets here :shock:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Re: Another fancy toolkit

Post by ScotRoutes »

I really like the idea of these hidden toolkits but with multiple bikes I can't afford one for each and sods law says it would be one without that needed intervention.
RIP

Post by RIP »

With my scatterbrain by the time I needed it I'd've forgotten where I'd hidden it....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

RIP wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:09 pm With my scatterbrain by the time I needed it I'd've forgotten where I'd hidden it....
My dad used to say: "I put it in a safe place but I've forgotten where that is!"
ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:06 pm I really like the idea of these hidden toolkits but with multiple bikes I can't afford one for each and sods law says it would be one without that needed intervention.
Yep. Looking at the Wolf Tooth offering they don't use standard sized bits so you can't just replace as and when. Ignoring the fancy mount it's easy enough to make your own from standard hex bits for not very much and you only need to take the tools you actually need. Mine (plus spare bits and the like) are in a tin virtually the same volume as these - the glove and everything to its right go in the tin at top right.

Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I'd post a pic of my toolkit but CBA.

I have an old Crank Bros 19. When I did the Divide a couple of years ago I managed to assemble the bike with it bar a couple of jobs, this included building the wheels using the spoke key in the chain breaker tool. The bits I had to use other tools for were installing the bottom bracket, tightening the cassette and cutting cables to length. I've got proper tools for everything but just wanted to check the multi-tool was up to the job.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:06 pm I really like the idea of these hidden toolkits but with multiple bikes I can't afford one for each and sods law says it would be one without that needed intervention.
I’ve got the oneup components EDC toolkit
https://www.oneupcomponents.com/product ... ool-system

I’ve bought the pump that it fits inside along with the tubeless repair kit and link pliers.
Very good quality and if you’re so inclined you can modify the stem cap to store it in the steerer tube.

I like it as all the basic tools and tubeless repair tool are in one place inside the pump.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

seems to have a lot of sizes you dont need - three torx bolt heads for example

I just made sure all my bolts [ including brake disc mounts] can be removed with a 3 4 and 5 mm allen key - I cannot think why I would ever want to take my pedals off mid ride or how this would help me
All their kit is fantastic, well made very light but expensive
It would be a nice present if just staring out but too much for me to consider buying it when I have all the tools I need anyway
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Bob, is that a bit holder welded to an allen key? Not a bad idea. I've found now I have a bike with the rear brake mount tucked away between the stays, as is the fashion of the day, that my multi-tool doesn't get in everywhere.
Lazarus wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:37 pm cannot think why I would ever want to take my pedals off mid ride or how this would help me
If you need to fly at the beginning and/or end of a trip, you need to be able to remove the pedals.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

thenorthwind wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:57 pm Bob, is that a bit holder welded to an allen key? Not a bad idea. I've found now I have a bike with the rear brake mount tucked away between the stays, as is the fashion of the day, that my multi-tool doesn't get in everywhere.
Lazarus wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:37 pm cannot think why I would ever want to take my pedals off mid ride or how this would help me
If you need to fly at the beginning and/or end of a trip, you need to be able to remove the pedals.
No it's a magnetic bit holder doing its thing
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

thats not mid ride though and I suppose its handy to have in a ightweight package but i wont be taking a pedal spanner with me any time soon when i go riding If flying i would just ditch the allen key and buy another at the end /go to a shop/garage etc/rather than carry one I wont need on the ride.
YMMV
gairym

Post by gairym »

Lazarus wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:02 am thats not mid ride though and I suppose its handy to have in a ightweight package but i wont be taking a pedal spanner with me any time soon when i go riding If flying i would just ditch the allen key and buy another at the end /go to a shop/garage etc/rather than carry one I wont need on the ride.
YMMV
:shock:

That makes literally no sense (to me - not trying to be confrontational). It's the exact opposite of what I feel I/we should be doing. TLS doesn't mean DGAS (don't give a.....) about waste (nevermind expense).

Also, once I've reattached a set of pedals I'll often carry the tool around for a while just in case they work themselves loose.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I am vegan , dont fly and drive an LPG car* so I assure you the bit i do for the environment is considerably greater than the average UK human does[not trying to brag or make this a pissing contenst]. Furthermore worrying about one allen key after a flight[ or its costs either monetary or environmentally] is somewhat missing the point of where the real damage comes though I accept its better to not do what I said and reuse said allen key.
I agree with your sentiment and we should all do more.personally - if i am ever to fly with my bike i shall carry the allen key with me
No offence taken and you were correct to point out the error in my hypothetical scenario.

* tehcnically just killing the planet slower its not really a net good.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Good effort sir and like I said, not trying to start a fight :-bd

I took issue as the stand alone comment made it sound like business as usual disposable ecocidal culture but certainly not attacking anyone personally and I hear what you're saying.