Tights or trousers

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Tights or trousers

Post by ootini »

Tis winter, so shorts don't cut it anymore. I own a cheapo pair of tights (Aldi) but usually wear my lycra shorts as underwear, with lightweight sports direct convertible trousers on the outside. The reason I'm not keen on the cheap tights is that they're a bit too snug, plus I have quite hairy legs, so find them itchy. Would more expensive tights have the same issue ?
I'm thinking of upgrading, but not sure if I want tights, or trousers. What do you use?
summittoppler

Re: Tights or trousers

Post by summittoppler »

I wear Gore Wear C3 active trail pants. There're v good especially at keeping the wind off you. I've also got a pair of the Gore running trousers which are lighter and pack down really small.
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

3/4 bibs and leg warmers give good options. A double layer over your knees for cold and the warmers can be worn/carried with shorts.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I dont think it really matter as i once had to borrow some leggings from my GF [ 2 for £5 from the market) for a drizzly and damp winter ride [ i had forgotten my tights]
They were just as warm as my £50 ones i normally wear and more surprisingly just as water repellent-I still cannot believe i did not get wet in them. .
As I wear tights with out a pad I reckon you are paying a lot of money just for a cycling label on what is essentially just some cheap clothes- applies to all clothes that are not 100% waterproof and breathable.

Therefore i wear normal shorts whatever tights i own and leg warmers if its proper cold - baggy tights will bunch on you though so avoid them.

YMMV
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

For me it’s: Tights every time if there is any chance of getting wet or muddy. I can’t stand wet muddy trousers flapping around. They also rub alit more than tights and aren’t as warm.
Trousers for cycling only work well in dry climates imo.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I use knee or leg warmers with my normal lycra bibs. I have some thermal leg warmers which are as warm as tights. If it's very muddy or I'm out for more than just the day I'll probably put some waterproof shorts on over the top.
ootini wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:21 pm ......plus I have quite hairy legs, so find them itchy.
Shave your legs? :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I shave my legs. Apart from making me look awesome in shorts it makes cleaning mud off them and rubbing in sun cream much easier. No itchy leg wear either. :grin: You might want to consider shaving you nuts with a trim of the pubes to stop random bits of pubic hair appearing through lycra.

Most of the winter I'll wear Endura MT500 shorts (the thick, heavy ones) with leg warmers. I've got some Rapha wind front tights I picked up cheap in a sale for when it gets chilly enough.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Pirahna wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:10 am I shave my legs. Apart from making me look awesome in shorts it makes cleaning mud off them and rubbing in sun cream much easier.
I do mine as well, although I've let myself go a bit recently. As well as the mud and suncream I've also heard it makes it harder for ticks to get get onto you? Don't know how true this is but anything that helps is worth a try, especially if it makes you look faster as well :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Shaved barse is essential with the more minimal swimwear in my experience.
Mart

Post by Mart »

I love how the Word 'Barse' has now reached universal use in this forum :lol:
2924 miles per Gallon