Pre Winter Peaks Bivy (Nov)?

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Pre Winter Peaks Bivy (Nov)?

Post by redefined_cycles »

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topi ... -district/

As a reward-to-self and also to justify my newly bought sleeping bag and test it out; am thinking Lord of the Loops which seems well drained etc etc *

Food at one of the cafes and then fill yer bags for more food later (is that lunch or supper... dunno :grin: sorry) as opposed to a pubStop (sorry, I'm Pubophobic both from my work persepctive as well as religious one :wink: ).

Anyone wish to join... start point would be the North East of the actual loop and date can be set/discussed. Surely we should be able to get done within 30 hours nice and easily :smile: ...

Obviously if no takers then I'll probs just do a local 'I am soft' bivy...

*another celbratory point is that I've actual manages to make it to the door of winter with my BAM without actually throwing in the towel... thats 2 or more years in the making is that :|
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

Re: Pre Winter Peaks Bivy (Nov)?

Btw.. lately some of the lads from Bikeradar did it and there was only one 'Stu' section which only only ever so slightly rubbish.. but accorsing to the vid thats been fixed
redefined_cycles

https://youtu.be/szmV_T8_duk

Thats the layout of the track :-bd
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:22 pm Btw.. lately some of the lads from Bikeradar did it and there was only one 'Stu' section which only only ever so slightly rubbish.. but accorsing to the vid thats been fixed
That was the top of Cut Gate Shaf. Hasn't been sorted yet as far as I'm aware.
redefined_cycles

In Reverse wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:57 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:22 pm Btw.. lately some of the lads from Bikeradar did it and there was only one 'Stu' section which only only ever so slightly rubbish.. but accorsing to the vid thats been fixed
That was the top of Cut Gate Shaf. Hasn't been sorted yet as far as I'm aware.
Thanks Andy (been revising names and putting in the correct slots in brain)... Will either have to try and edit that bit out or just ride through it. Surely can't ever be even a quarter of what we had to 'love up' just before the DH track :grin:
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

It's fine. There's a track through it but it's wet in winter and there's a couple of very wide boggy puddles/ponds.

I had a look at the route, imo you'd be better following the "top half" of the Peak 200. It's not vastly different but it rides better on a few sections.

I'd join you mate but my calendar's jam packed between now and christmas.
redefined_cycles

Just an update...

route been reduced to around 30 miles (Karl might hopefully make a suitable one or have one in mind).

So far its me and Karl.

Dates still being negitiated but a sunday start and monday "straight to work" isn't out of the question...

Dates that are not on the cards is 16th; 23rd; 18th (unless we started in eve as I'm on a training day)..

:-bd (still no pub stops.. sorry :grin: but it'll encourage everyone to carry their own pot noodle)
Mike

Post by Mike »

No pub stop for hot food in this weather, brutal...im out :o
redefined_cycles

Mike wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:59 pm No pub stop for hot food in this weather, brutal...im out :o
:lol: sorry Mike.. it'll force ppl to bring their own lynch and cooking kitchen :o
Gregsie

Post by Gregsie »

Don't know if it's of use or will influence your route bu have just read on on of the Farcebook pages that Cut Gate's a bit of a swamp at the moment.
Powered by crumpets.
RIP

Post by RIP »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:06 pm :lol: sorry Mike.. it'll force ppl to bring their own lynch and cooking kitchen :o
It's a lynch mob! You guys play vicious up there :lol: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

Gregsie wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:08 pm Don't know if it's of use or will influence your route bu have just read on on of the Farcebook pages that Cut Gate's a bit of a swamp at the moment.
Hmmm... gonna see when Karl manages to get some dates/routes options open :-bd if he doesn't I'll just try to ride to lindon again via Reg' village (I forgrt the name... it has a train station with a couple of platforms)... Might be in touch for bivy spots enroute via there :grin:
redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:14 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:06 pm :lol: sorry Mike.. it'll force ppl to bring their own lynch and cooking kitchen :o
It's a lynch mob! You guys play vicious up there :lol: .
Lunch... Lynch... launch... same same :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

"with a couple of platforms" - and some litter outside :smile: .

"village" - LB (Leighton Buzzard), not to be confused with LB (Long Buckby)....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:23 pm "with a couple of platforms" - and some litter outside :smile: .

"village" - LB (Leighton Buzzard), not to be confused with LB (Long Buckby)....
Thats the one Reg... and what a beautiful village it is. I never did see any buzzards though :roll: ... will watch more carefully this time round...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Curiously named after the Bossard family rather than the bird.

Looking pretty soggy up there if anyone's out tonight! 'Biblical' rain in Sheffy it says here. Time to launch the ark then! Pair of bikepackers required.....

redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:18 pm Curiously named after the Bossard family rather than the bird.

Looking pretty soggy up there if anyone's out tonight! 'Biblical' rain in Sheffy it says here. Time to launch the ark then! Pair of bikepackers required.....
Yup... a bit wet. Enough to make a wet weather rider think twice bout going out in the wet. At least we dont live in the central Peaks I suppose. Thays where all the fun happens with cars getting waterlogged (I reckon... I've learnt my lesson enough that this one time I just reversed out of the lane leading to the valley and turned around)...
Karl

Post by Karl »

Right me and Shafiq have decide on Sunday 24th to Monday 25th Nov. We'll be meeting around lunch time on Sunday at Ladybower reservoir so we can get a decent ride in before bedding down under the stars. Up early Monday morning (for me at least) to get back to the cars about 6.30 - 7am then off to work. Shafiq may take a little longer and enjoy the morning more.

Anyone else interested let us know.

Karl
redefined_cycles

Karl wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:59 pm Right me and Shafiq have decide on Sunday 24th to Monday 25th Nov. We'll be meeting around lunch time on Sunday at Ladybower reservoir so we can get a decent ride in before bedding down under the stars. Up early Monday morning (for me at least) to get back to the cars about 6.30 - 7am then off to work. Shafiq may take a little longer and enjoy the morning more.

Anyone else interested let us know.

Karl
Thanks Karl... I was just thinking: will you be able to send a GPX of the route you plan so we all speaking from the same page for when you need to shoot off in the morning.. so the slowbies can continue at their own leisure. Plus if anyone gets lagged behind we know that we're all on the same gpx and hopefully catch up with one another...

I'm happy to make the track if you dont have chance but just let me know what kind of areas we're dissecring so I can use OS maps to make the gpx :-bd
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

There's a chance I can make it later on Sunday, depending on when my wife's paramedic shift finishes. If a route appears I'd try to ride out from Sheffield and meet up at some point!
Karl

Post by Karl »

Right so I've come up with a couple of options. Intending to do most of the riding on the Sunday and just have a short 30 minutes or so on Monday morning (although I can make some suggestions if some folk want to ride further).

Option 1 has quite a lot of technical riding and is a bit further.

https://www.strava.com/routes/22671125

Option 2 is less technical and shorter.

https://www.strava.com/routes/22671309

Both have good options for bivving - although option 2 does have an option for a shelter (if there is only a couple of us).

So let me know which one suits.
RIP

Post by RIP »

The gloopy bridleway drop into Bradwell off the Edge should be highly entertaining after all this rain :smile: . Unless of course you're going up it in which case it'll be epic :-bd . Looks a fun ride anyway!
Last edited by RIP on Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redefined_cycles

Karl wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:47 pm Right so I've come up with a couple of options. Intending to do most of the riding on the Sunday and just have a short 30 minutes or so on Monday morning (although I can make some suggestions if some folk want to ride further).

Option 1 has quite a lot of technical riding and is a bit further.

https://www.strava.com/routes/22671125

Option 2 is less technical and shorter.

https://www.strava.com/routes/22671309

Both have good options for bivving - although option 2 does have an option for a shelter (if there is only a couple of us).

So let me know which one suits.
Shelter shorter pptions please kind sir... if everyone else is in agreement
Karl

Post by Karl »

That's fine with me. And we are going down bradwell edge. Not as bad as it use to be, it's been sanitised over the last few years.

Happy to make changes to the route and we can definately be flexible whilst we're out riding. Lots of options out there. :-bd
redefined_cycles

Thanks v much Karl.. wonder if @paulE still joining and where. We're happy to start a bit later if it means he can join is it not :-bd