What's the best rear red light please

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

What's the best rear red light please

Post by JohnClimber »

What's the best rear red light please?

I have several on my commuter but I think I need a super bright flasher (more so than I already have)
slarge

Re: What's the best rear red light please

Post by slarge »

I like the TraceR from Exposure - it's on all the time but pulses bright, and is rechargeable. I prefer a light that's always on to a flashing light.

Not cheap but great service if it goes wrong
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I am not convinced that brighter is always better and high vis on you,or the bike, ,probably, makes more sense than yet more lumens

YMMV
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Tracer seconded
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I'd also say the TraceR is the one to go for. I also have a Lezyne Micro Drive rear which has a setting which the instructions say is not technically legal as it's so bright (180 lumen) but it's probably overkill.

If a driver doesn't see the TraceR on the highest setting then they are probably Mr Magoo and no rear light will help.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

I really rate the exposure blaze-pulses like the trace and has good battery life and excellent back up as Steve says.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Another TraceR user giving it the thumbs up :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

Exposure Blaze for me. Bright and long lasting!
May satan walk with you
ozboz

Post by ozboz »

I bought a ‘Burner Brake’ light from Evans , it’s got several really effective impulse settings , also a big one for me is that when I slow or stop it has a sensor that picks up the change in speed and interrupts the selected impulse function and a very solid and bright steady appears , like a car brake light ,
slarge

Post by slarge »

Up until Ozboz we had 100% recommendation for exposure. Ignore the dissenter :-bd

Blaze and TraceR are basically the same, just different battery setups.

The ReAct feature looks interesting but I've not seen it in action yet
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

A bit old fashioned but I like the Cateye Omni 3 or 5.
Had one for years, runs on batteries - for ever.
Has several modes and comes with a couple of mounting clips and bands.
It mounts under the saddle or if I am using a seat pack on that.
I do have a usb rear light (Aldi) which works fine if I remember to charge it.
If going further afield I take the Cateye. I am more likely to be carrying batteries should they be needed.

Con - they don't bounce or survive being run over by traffic but I suspect the usb one would.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Buy yourself a Proviz jacket / gilet / etc John. They really do get noticed even by the most dozy drivers.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Another dissenter here!....Well sort of :grin:

Have a couple of TraceR's, one is in a draw somewhere with a broken conecter. They're a really good light, but because of the shape of them i find the mounting options restrictive.

Couple of months ago was looking to get something that i could mount on my saddle-bag. Opted for a Lezyne Zecto, it's really good! There's a couple of different variations, but i went for the Max250. It's got a clip on the back for mounting on straps as well as a silicon band for frame tubes & due to its shape, even a helmet. The 250 is a bit of a lump tho & i think for normal riding the Drive80 would be more than enough, less weight & also cheaper..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
psling

Post by psling »

I did this exercise about 10 years ago and came up with the Light & Motion Vis 180 Pro. It has served me well on my rural roads commute in all weathers ever since. Not cheap but very well made, has proved reliable and weatherproof for a longer time than i would have expected, usb charge at work and a decent burn time. I'm an Exposure fanboy but I have been well impressed with this light and would certainly buy another.
I usually couple it with a cheap and cheerful Smart light or similar on my helmet or bag and, like others have said, decent reflective strips on jacket/top/etc..
I can remember reading once a suggestion to fit a small white light on the top tube or facing backwards on the bars to light up your reflective jacket but have never tried this so not sure how effective it might be.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
JackT

Post by JackT »

I'm another doubter on super bright flashing rear lights. Especially on dark rural roads, lit city streets are another matter.

I find a very bright and concentrated rear light makes it hard for drivers to judge distance (I find it hard when I'm driving - really bright dot of light has a sort of halo effect and leaves an imprint on the retina).

Much better are rear lights with a large surface area and the light typically diffused through prisms and reflectors. Also better if you're riding with others. I did a winter solstice 100 mile ride to Stonehenge last year and one of our group has a dazzling flasher that gave me a headache.

The b&m Secula is excellent for this. Also the Spanninga elips if you have a rack. Both have battery or dynamo models. The moon type are also ok.

Agee with others re a bit of reflective, esp if on pedals or ankles. Says you're a cyclist and helps drivers judge distance accurately.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

that is what i use [dynamo version] for the same reasons- a relatively large big bright glow - Its still brighter than my car rear lights.
I use one reflective band on my outside driveside leg - I assume the circular motion make it obvious i am a cyclist.
I just find the race to ever more lumens on the rear daft . I know a few folk who use super bright ones off road at all times- I have no idea WTF they think will happen if they switch it off or what they expect to rear end them.
Its just distracting - yes i know you are there but judging where whilst being blinded is not that easy Finally all these lights are considerably brighter than car rear lights - heck even ALdi ones are -any one feel the need to add brighter lights to their car just to be seen?
Pus some reflective stuff on you and the bike - their headlights pick this up brilliantly and even when not directly behind you .
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

i'm another against super bright rear lights.

But my advice - get two lights - there's always that day when one of them stops working.

Those £8 little USB lights from decathlon are surprisingly good, especially as a backup
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

+1 for "standard" brightness for rear lights and for having more than one - one could get knocked off (I've had this happen) - and you can have one set to flashing mode and one to steady mode.

I've one of these: https://www.evanscycles.com/fwe-recharg ... n-EV244786 which has a well designed clip that can either clip to a strap or twistlock onto a seat stay mount - one of those little things you come to appreciate.

I've also got Moon rear lights as well as the Aldi rip-off, err, copies - don't bother with the latter as the switch is very poor quality and you might spend a minute trying to find just the right point to turn it on or off.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

get two lights
Also good advice i use bar end ones as i can see if they are working or not- also give me some width [and a spare rear one just in case ]
I can see my dynamo one as well, if i look at it, because it is on the seat stay rather than seat post.
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

whitestone wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:44 pm +1 for "standard" brightness for rear lights and for having more than one - one could get knocked off (I've had this happen) - and you can have one set to flashing mode and one to steady mode.

I've one of these: https://www.evanscycles.com/fwe-recharg ... n-EV244786 which has a well designed clip that can either clip to a strap or twistlock onto a seat stay mount - one of those little things you come to appreciate.
I bought one of those Evans ones recently. The light pattern is very impressive. I attached it to my swaying Alpkit seat pack recently and riding on unlit country roads, I noticed that motorists gave me a very wide berth (they probably thought I was swerving all over the road!)
May satan walk with you
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Super bright rear lights are a godsend during the daytime though.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Has anyone tried a 360 degree light like the Guee? Seems like a good idea to me.

May the bridges you burn light your way
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I find it difficult to ride behind people with a TraceR on the back, it’s too bright, especially as it's often pointing up slightly into your eyes

I prefer to mount my lights on a seat stay. Have a variety but my Lunar Smart R2 has been really reliable. AAA and usb version both good. Pretty cheap too

I like using it with a micro red eye on my lid. For bikepacking I don’t have as much reflective stuff but for commuting I have loads, on me and the bike
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Cheers all, thanks for your help, I won't be using these lights for group rides just my commute for OTT might be best.

I have high viz gilet and/or jacket plus a ProViz jacket (which I've not used yet)

I ride to work in the day light so bright is best
I ride home in the dark but on well lit roads, so brightness again is needed again.

I think I've solved it and may have gone over the top, but can you be too safe in rush hour traffic?
I've got 2 rectangular flashers (Cateye and an Aldi Moon Nebula copy) either side of the frame/rear wheel next to the rear hub.
I've fitted a bright cat eye flasher to my helmet,
And finally in the centre of the frame under the saddle bag I've cowboy'ed an old but bright front flashing white light with an old red lens cut off a dead light stuck over the front of it.

Oh and an Exposure Six Pack out front.

I hope that should be more than enough to keep me safe
Mike

Post by Mike »

Proviz gillet and a exp blaze. Both fab like stu says though high viz top is a myst in my eyes on busy roads