money belt

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Rasta

money belt

Post by Rasta »

I am planning my next big 1 month adventure.

Over the last couple of years I decided to stop using cards and just take cash. Normally Euros.

I usually have a secret money belt but they are uncomfortable and a pain.
I also have a real buckle belt that holds money, but this is only good for a few €100 notes. For travelling I need lots of €20 notes.

I was thinking that the best belt for cash, and maybe a passport, would be one strapped to the outer thigh. Better for cycling.

Anyone have any recommendations?

In the past I have tried shoe soles, under arm deodorants, seat posts etc. But would prefer 'on the body'.
Pirahna

Re: money belt

Post by Pirahna »

Get something like a Revolut card, there's a few choices so pick one that suits. Foreign exchange is done at the "bank rate" (I think that's what it's called), so the rate the banks get for currency exchange, not the rate you get as a consumer. Use it as a cash point and/or payment card, the exchange rate is better than you'll get buying currency on the high street.
petermac

Post by petermac »

Mr Rasta,
mate don't be too worried about how you carry your dosh....unless you are responding with your scepticism here because of some nasty previous experience..???
I've got a simple banana bag, bum bag, that fits around my gut and it's as safe as houses.
If you are going to get robbed it'll probably be with stealth or so much force that hiding the money up ya bum won't prevent a cats-arse-trophy.
Cards are so much better because you can just tell the assailant to F-off.
Go with pride man and cycle well....check out these guys....https://trakke.co.uk
Bye for now
Peter Mac.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Pirahna wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:16 pm Get something like a Revolut card, there's a few choices so pick one that suits. Foreign exchange is done at the "bank rate" (I think that's what it's called), so the rate the banks get for currency exchange, not the rate you get as a consumer. Use it as a cash point and/or payment card, the exchange rate is better than you'll get buying currency on the high street.
Cheers for the tip, I’ve just signed up for one. Looks like an excellent idea for travel, leave all other cards at home and instant top up and control via an app, good rates are just a bonus.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark