Orionids Meteor Shower

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Borderer

Orionids Meteor Shower

Post by Borderer »

I think I might have seen a late stray from the Orionids Meteor Shower last night. Did anyone else see anything of them this year? They peaked around the 21st of October I think, but can be seen from the 2nd of October to the 7th of November.
ScotRoutes

Re: Orionids Meteor Shower

Post by ScotRoutes »

There are frequent one-offs unrelated to any of the major showers. It's always a delight seeing one.

I had a fantastic viewing of the Perseids when I was just 16, and knew nothing of these things, round a bonfire in Blairgowrie on a berry-picking holiday. One of my most abiding and treasured memories. Many years later I took my daughter up to the Pentlands to watch them again.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

That sounds wonderful. Yes, seeing fireflies in the night in Cuba was a similar thing - utterly magical and it will hopefully stay with Joe for a long time.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

As per Colin, there are regularly strays that you'll see. The sky needs to be dark enough and you need to be lucky enough to be looking in the right place. I saw a couple from my bivy bag (no tarp so was looking up) on the WRT this year.

i had a very special experience with a mate in the Alps, both lying down in our bivy bags trying to go to sleep but being captivated by amazing stars and loads of meteors (plus satellites moving across the sky)
Gari

Post by Gari »

I was out on the bike last night, turned off my lights for a while, for a view of the snow covered Cairngorms. Really bright shooting star right over Braeriach ❤️ About 18:30ish?!
Always good to spend a little time in the dark on a night ride eh?!
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

That sounds pretty damn nice. There's supposed to be a meteor shower on Friday 13th November, if I'm right... Thinking on doing a night with the camera...
Gari

Post by Gari »

Damn, I’m in Sweden/Norway then, otherwise I’d be tempted to take the gear out too.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I saw one Tues 29th - someone caught it on camera over the hill.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/photoso ... 567398414/
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

It says it was Monday 28th - which was the same night and time that I saw one (looking in that direction from just over the border). It looked just like that - I really wonder if it was the same one. That would be possible wouldn't it?

Really cool photo - thanks for posting.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

D'oh
Last edited by boxelder on Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

It was Monday. From where I saw it, the direction looked different - perspective I guess.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

I am pretty convinced that the one in the photo is the same one that I saw. So I am completely delighted that someone was out there with a camera on a tripod and the shutter open to capture it. I would never have found the photo if you hadn't posted it, so I am very happy about the slight mistake!