South West Winter Bivi - Dartmoor Area?

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

South West Winter Bivi - Dartmoor Area?

Post by sean_iow »

I've wanted to camp on Dartmoor for a while so the winter bivi seems like just the excuse to head down that way.

Dates would be the 14/15 December as per the other regional winter bivis. Ideally I'd like a local to come up with some of the detail.

A nice cycle friendly pub for dinner and an idea for the bivi location? It would be best for me if the meet-up location was on the eastern side of Dartmoor as I'll be riding from the Isle of Wight. I'd leave home Friday and aim to stop overnight on the way.

Anyone interested?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Taylor

Re: South West Winter Bivi - Dartmoor Area?

Post by Taylor »

Defo interested.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Me too
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Dartmoor Southern Loop is what you want. (Dont mention the bunkhouse :| )
Long enough to be interesting. (Dont mention the bunkhouse :| )
Short enough to get round and back to the Plume in typical/crap weather. (Dont mention the bunkhouse :| )

Luckily I will still be sans velo on those dates otherwise I would have to lie.
(Think I got away without mentioning the bunkhouse.) :-bd
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

foggintor quarry isnt a bad spot for a bivi/camp and only a mile or so out of princetown.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Taylor and Dave, that's Bearbones royalty :smile:
Mariner wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:24 pm Dartmoor Southern Loop is what you want. (Dont mention the bunkhouse :| )
Have you any details? I can PM you an email if you have a gpx at all?

I'm not sure of the etiquette when arranging these rides as I've never attended one, but I'll assume someone has to take the lead and make some decisions or it just won't happen... so I'll assume that's me.

All details to be confimed but I'm thinking meet up at Bovey Tracey at Saturday lunchtime. I'll be staying somewhere near Honiston on the Friday (as that's 110 miles of riding from my house so seems far enough for one day) so I'll have about 35 miles to ride Saturday morning.

Ride for the afternoon to end up at the Plume for dinner (not mentioning the bunkhouse)and then head out to bivi at Foggintor Quarry. I'm planning on this being my December BAM so a good way to round off the season. It sounds like the ideal location for us boners as a quick google gives the description as

The quarry is located on a flat and desolate part of Dartmoor in the heart of a landscape scattered with granite boulders and old industrial ruins. There was once a rocky outcrop, known locally as a Foggin Tor, now there is just a vast and rugged pit filled with clear cold water. :lol:

We can firm up the details nearer the time? Any more takers obviously welcome, I think there's a few more who live within riding distance.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbones tw@tery

Anyhow. Bovey Tracey plan really suits me as it's only a few hours ride from my house. I wonder if Si (darbeze) would be up for joining me.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Dave Barter wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:47 pm Bearbones tw@tery

Anyhow. Bovey Tracey plan really suits me as it's only a few hours ride from my house. I wonder if Si (darbeze) would be up for joining me.
I knew it wasn't too far from yours, plus I picked it as,

a) It is on the east side
b) it's one of the few places I've heard of
c) it's big enough that there's bound to be somewhere I can get some lunch/supplies

Getting from there to Princetown will be the tricky bit to take in some good off road bits/sights but not hours of open boggy moor, but we've ages yet to plan that.

I've actually been to Princetown and went round the prison museum, the bit that I remember is a tale that several days after an escape and being out on the moor that the escapees came back to be let back in to get out of the weather :lol:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I've got a route that does exactly that but it will have a lot of lanes, unavoidable unless you really like death marches
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Death marches arent encouraged neither are big miles, it's a Christmas party (sort of, being self employed it's the closest thing I get to a Christmas party).
Moff

Post by Moff »

Can I add my name to the list? Subject to pink ticket, fitness etc...
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Moff wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:46 pm Can I add my name to the list?
Of course you can :smile:

Fitness shouldn't be an issue, I'm thinking it should be a social. No death marches required, I'm thinking rideable so we can cruises along chatting, short enough to have time to stop as an when for food/photos/faff etc.

I'm riding big(ish) miles to get there but only as I don't want to have to buy an £80 ferry ticket to drive there, it's under £20 as a foot passenger which leaves more cash in the food and ale budget :grin:
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

There's also the Mendips as an alternative if that's of interest.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Dave Barter wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:47 pm I've got a route that does exactly that but it will have a lot of lanes, unavoidable unless you really like death marches
Lanes will be fine, we only need some 'good bits' off road. On my last trip so Dartmoor (sans bike) I stayed there for a week with Jane, camping, and it rained every day and only stopped on the last afternoon as we were driving home. So I've no objection to tarmac, much better than a death march.

Are you able to send me a gpx?
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Helo chaps!

Sorry I have only just read this! Count me in. I am happy to put together a route from Bovey Tracey up onto the moor to Princetown, then onto Foggintor quarry for a bivvi if you like?

It's quite spooky there at night....

Be a pleasure to ride with you Dave. We can meet up on the way out to Bovey if you fancy it...

I shall keep an eye on this thread now I've stuck my nose in.

Si
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

darbeze wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:28 pm Helo chaps!

Sorry I have only just read this! Count me in. I am happy to put together a route from Bovey Tracey up onto the moor to Princetown, then onto Foggintor quarry for a bivvi if you like?

It's quite spooky there at night....

Be a pleasure to ride with you Dave. We can meet up on the way out to Bovey if you fancy it...

I shall keep an eye on this thread now I've stuck my nose in.

Si
Excellent :-bd I'm happy to let the locals sort out the finer details of the route.

I'd suggest we meet here on the Saturday lunchtime

https://www.cafe3sixty.co.uk/

Cycle friendly including indoor bike storage :smile: (according to their website) and it takes the pressure of those of us riding to the start to get there for a exact start time as anyone who's there early can just keep drinking coffee and eating cake.
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

I have not partaken of Cafe360 yet, but everyone I know who has been rate it highly and say it is very bike friendly...

Si
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

stopped at the quarry last year. Its defo rocky, could have just been where we stopped but it was really difficult to get the pegs in. stunning view in the morning though, its quite exposed.
there is another bunkhouse in Princetown I recall (Prince of Wales? near the Dartmoor Brewery?) alternatively you can 'camp' in the Plume and Feathers garden (vaguely exciting pub by the way!)
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Another point to note is that if we are fancying dinner at the Plume, we will almost certainly need to book a table...

Just saying...
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

rufus748 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:09 pm stopped at the quarry last year. Its defo rocky, could have just been where we stopped but it was really difficult to get the pegs in. stunning view in the morning though, its quite exposed.
there is another bunkhouse in Princetown I recall (Prince of Wales? near the Dartmoor Brewery?) alternatively you can 'camp' in the Plume and Feathers garden (vaguely exciting pub by the way!)
Are you coming Andy or fannying about with houses?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

darbeze wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:34 pm Another point to note is that if we are fancying dinner at the Plume, we will almost certainly need to book a table...

Just saying...
I was planning on asking for names 2 weeks out to get numbers and then book a table, will I need to do it sooner?

Where I live the pubs will be booked up with works Christmas party's for weeks before Christmas so I'd book it sooner but I was thinking there wouldn't be the same volume of workers out on the lash in Princetown?
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Dave Barter wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:37 pm (vaguely exciting pub by the way!)
Are you coming Andy or fannying about with houses?
[/quote]

"vaguely exciting pub" defo not what I put! Its a great pub, had a great evening and food there, packed with friendly locals.

Fannying around with houses, yes. However its a tad easier than the last one so I'm planning to be there.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Thanks for making the effort to pull this together. Also interested, but I’d have to swap a weekend work commitment first, if possible.

Bunkhouse does sound preferable to Fogin Tor; mixed memories of that place...
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Went through the quarry today.
Screenshot_20191110-164636_Gallery.jpg
(56.59 KiB) Downloaded 2482 times
a
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Fox Tor cafe has just changed hands, but that shouldn't change their service I guess. We used their bunkhouse last time we had a SW BB winter bivvi on Dartmoor as we had got caught out in the rain and cold waiting for another group who were using Whiteworks.

We gave up waiting and rode into Princetown in search of shelter and managed to bag the small room for the night.

I Fancy a bivvi rather than a bunkhouse personally, although happy to go with the flow if the majority prefer bricks and mortar.