Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Borderer

Re: Bivvy a month 2019

Post by Borderer »

How many berths do you think? :lol:
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Could squeeze two in, single file, so to speak. I’ll be up that way next week and can PM you dimensions.
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Nice one :-bd
paramart

Post by paramart »

well mam and myself decided to go to church stretton for my bam, set off from Rugeley 20mins earlier to get to albrighton and meet up with stu, both a tad late due to some standing water can't believe how deep and numerous they were, eventually brightened up but the sun was so low it was a pain, popped into ironbridge for a brew and photo, woke up this morning to brilliant sunshine bit nippy dropped onto the road by the glider club, due to the water logged lane where I had the misfortune of falling over :roll: good night out though. 11/11 for me.
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

October ticked off with yet another quiet night in my hammock in a local wood. With the kids here and my GF making an unexpected appearance on her way back from the Forest of Dean I didn't get out of the house till 9pm. It was a very muddy and cold half hour ride to a regular bivvy spot and I was pitched up and cosy by 10. Slept like the dead, woke with the dawn despite my daylight saving jet lag and was home nice and early.

It was pretty chilly - frost everywhere this morning and a bit of a breeze so I think that will be my last night in a hammock till the spring. Which either means sleeping in my Big Agnes coffin or down among the leaf mulch and slugs on the forest floor. Choice choices ....

I'm just going outside ...
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

October 10/10

Another local one for me, but then nowhere is very far on the Island, plus I've decided that I shouldn't rule out potential interesting locations just because they aren't very far away. Left home just before 10pm Saturday for a 5 mile ride to a local chalk pit which was taken over by a wildlife trust.

The raised area is an outdoor stage where I had planned to pitch but the pegs wouldn't go in, I think it's probably compacted hardcore under the thin covering of grass. I took the Deschutes as there was rain forecast but it never arrived :sad: There was a bit of a draft coming under the tarp but not too bad. At least that meant there was no condensation. I left my garmin on all night to record the temperature and it got down to 2 degrees, I was just warm enough in a bag rated to 3 degrees. I think the cold air rolling off the down above was all ending up in the pit. I'm going to keep a log of what I slept in and minimum temperature to be able to make more informed decisions based on forecast temps in the future.

This chap is the first thing you see when you enter the pit from the road.

Even though I knew he was there I still got a fright when my lights picked him out in the dark. Once I'd had breakfast and a coffee I headed off home, a slightly longer way over the downs. The more observant will have noticed I've put some gears on the bike :o With the trails now back to a sea of mud I can't face getting muddy 3 or 4 days a week so might ride more roads but on the single-speed it can be a chore, we'll see how long it is before they come off again. A nice clear morning meant a good view from the top of Brading Down.

Difficult to make out but the round building in the centre of the picture is the Roman Villa, well the remains of the villa are inside the building. The downs are now managed by the same conservation group that tidied up the pit I bivied in.

Looks like there's all sorts of interesting things to look out for :wink: In my defense, if you put up a blackboard on a chalk down where the ground around is covered in bits of chalk I'm not going to be able to resist writing on it :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

sean_iow wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:20 am . The more observant will have noticed I've put some gears on the bike :o With the trails now back to a sea of mud I can't face getting muddy 3 or 4 days a week so might ride more roads but on the single-speed it can be a chore, we'll see how long it is before they come off again.
I was just wondering that after zooming into the pic... Then you answered it and more... Glad you did as it consolidated my discussion with Jase on the BB200 regards SS and it not being suitable for an 80 mile return work (new job at York in new year) commute with 3500ft climbing...

Thanks for sharing the BAM Sean
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:37 am an 80 mile return work (new job at York in new year) commute with 3500ft climbing...
You'll be well fit after a few weeks of that. There is a guy locally that does a 60-mile round trip to work and the local paper did a big article on him! It did make me laugh.
redefined_cycles

Borderer wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:16 am
redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:37 am an 80 mile return work (new job at York in new year) commute with 3500ft climbing...

You'll be well fit after a few weeks of that. There is a guy locally that does a 60-mile round trip to work and the local paper did a big article on him! It did make me laugh.
Thanks for the valuable peice of info (on long distance commuting competitors :lol: as its info thats not well known to google proper)... I've actually managed a 90 miler one way but then not back and did it a few times to stamp it as a commute proper.

Regards the 80 miler return, its 40 there and 40 back but only done the return leg around 3 or 4 times so far. First time I did the return (after a night shift) took me about 5 hours (the journey there is only 2 hours and 24 mins at my fastest (once maybe) but average around 2 hours and 45 mins.

Not sure about being 'well fit after that' cos for some reason I've only ever seemed to get slower and slowr over the years :o
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

October BAM done and dusted. Another local ride to a high up spot overlooking the bay. It drizzled all night, which was not too bad. My permavent groundsheet stopped the rain water running off as I was in a little dip. By this morning, I could just start to feel that my feet may be getting a little damp. I am quite impressed as they were in a puddle all night.

Anyway, I managed a reasonable night's sleep and then rode into work, grabbed a shower and am now getting on with the day.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4MgEhvJJYQ/

10/10

Si
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

October BaM 10/10

Saturday morning I alternated between watching the rugby (hurrah!) and watching the rain siling down outside (boo!). Come 11:30 it didn't look like stopping so I packed up anyway and headed out of the door by 12.
I had a loose idea to head off down towards Buxton and pick up the South Peak Loop, a 70 mile route put together by Peak Horsepower which covers quite a bit of ground I don't know. It's 16 miles from home to get to the nearest bit of the loop, an hour and a half in the rain that didn't look much like going away. A couple of hours in, it dawned on me I hadn't eaten since breakfast and didn't have any food on me apart from some dried pasta and sauce for later. Feeling both hungry and a bit stupid I was banking on finding somewhere to grab a snack in Hartington:

ImageDrying out and warming up at Hartington cafe. October BaM. by Chris Farley, on Flickr

Which worked!

Onward, now just a bit drizzly and quite chilly. Much of the ride was like an extended puddle and all the rivers and streams were in flood, this is usually just a stream:

ImageOctober BaM - floods by Chris Farley, on Flickr

Late afternoon and the skies cleared and I got some sun as I headed over the hills near Ilam:

ImageEvening sunshine by Chris Farley, on Flickr

Not long after, the sun went down and I found myself doing a circuit of Carsington Water in the dark. My GPS started playing up a bit and following the route became more difficult. I was also running low on water, and now it was dark couldn't find any sensible water sources to fill up on. When I ended up at the southern end of the High Peak Trail I decided to head north along it towards Parsley Hay where I knew I could get water. Eleven miles into a cold headwind and Parsley Hay arrived with its outside tap. A couple more miles and I found a sheltered spot to get the tent up and bed down for the night, it was a chilly 1 degree C.

Sunday dawned clear and bright and I took the direct(ish) route home.

About 70 miles on Saturday and 15 on Sunday.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

A sub-zero camp for me and the boy last night at Broadlee Loch - a stunningly remote area just a few miles from our front door. What a joyous place to wake up this morning.

We left a bit late and really noticed the 'lost' hour following the clock change: (apologies for blurry phone photo).

I knew where we were going though so it was easy enough in the dark. On our way I saw a meteor or space debris or something burning up as it came to earth very close by. It was red and orange with a green tail - the boy was looking up at the milky way at the time and completely missed it. :roll:

We got the tent up, made some dinner and were tucked up in our bags by 9pm. Although our sleeping bags are supposedly good to -9C I had taken our down quilts with us as a precaution and I was glad I had. It was a very cold night, but totally worth it for the view we saw when we opened the tent door this morning:

The first rays of light hitting the tent. Note the rare view of a teenager witnessing the dawn.....

A cracking spot for breakfast....

A sweet bit of singletrack for the ride home....

This shot is almost a photo of the two of us for once....

A lot of our route followed the Romans and Reivers trail....

Roberton looking gorgeous in its Autumn colours...

and the same for Hawick's beautiful Wilton Park....

11 in a row for me and Borderer 2. Only one more to go - getting exciting now....
Last edited by Borderer on Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Not fair you lot up there hog all that remoteness :smile: . Furthest we get from a road is the middle of a Milton Keynes roundabout.

"Note the rare view of a teenager witnessing the dawn....." :lol:

but... "in it's" - gotcha! :grin:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

RIP wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:56 pm Not fair you lot up there hog all that remoteness :smile: . Furthest we get from a road is the middle of a Milton Keynes roundabout.
:lol:
RIP wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:56 pm but... "in it's" - gotcha! :grin:
Argh! I stand corrected. :lol:
Removed it now :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Left it late again :roll:

Had tea then set off for one of our usual bivvies in a shooting hut. Got there at ten. After some mince pies (well It is October) we turned in.

Up at 0645, had porridge and a brew before setting off into the wind. Cath headed to work. I’m warming up in a cafe :grin:

That’s 10/10 and 24 in a row. I’ll add some photos later
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

A tad nippy last night so the Buffalo bag was pressed into service, complementing the down clothing perfectly.

Another superlocal in the woods, returning to my favourite Christmas tree. Arrived late: head down at 01:00; awoke at 04:13 to turn over, then back to sleep until 06:00 when I was woken by my alarm - now that's a first! :lol:

As a bonus - the Ribena in my flask was still HOT! :-bd

Back home for brekkie and work bag, then C2W...then C2H. Approximately 25 miles in crisp autumnal sunshine: a pretty good day :d.

October done: 10/12.
May you always have tail wind.
RIP

Post by RIP »

You and that blinkin' tree :smile: . Hope you're gonna decorate it appropriately on your Dec BaM :-bd .

Mmm.. mebbes..... ?

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Oooohh...free spares! :d
May you always have tail wind.
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

10/10
Another trip down memory lane this month i had to do a local one due to lack of time which gave me an opportunity to ride from the door so should be pretty straightforward i hadnt bargained for the national trusts input! When i was a seventeen year old a few years ago now i spent a couple of months living in a teepee on a very recognisable hill, indeed a hill from which you can see seven counties on a clear day and as legend has it only 99 trees will grow on the summit an adventure which was brought to a sudden end by the strong arm of the law .
So i thought as the laws arms are mostly missing now it would make the ideal spot for this months BAM . I set off 7 ish for an easy 15 mile ride around the lanes to be met by a closing motorway bridge

Can i just pop across ?

" NO its closed mate "

Doesnt look very closed

" Its $*"%ing closed mate "

So thats another 5 miles of not so pleasant roads to rejoin the route a few very muddy horsed bridleways and some climbing and i was almost at the top of the hill just one gate and what a gate to high to lift the bike over so up on the back wheel open gate push bike through job done well that was the plan bloody spring on the gate kept getting the better of me every time i tried to move the bike the gate slammed closed so much for the stealth approach . I finally got the gate to stay open only to find the front wheel had dropped over the rails at the end and something had got jammed through the spokes and i couldnt move the bike i bet you can guess what happened to the gate while i freed the wheel . give me a proper gate tied up with barbed wire any day . i arrived at the top feeling pretty done in set up camp and had the best nights sleep under a tarp so far.
Woke to the sunrising over a completely foggy landscape covered in condensation 10 minutes later i was also in the fog

breakfast under the trees .

Had a nice ride home going down the opposite side of the hill via a very civilized gate highlight of which was seeing a kingfisher .
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I've been ill the past week, and didn't have the mojo to pop out over the weekend, so went out yesterday evening after work (and after dinner and filling my insulated flask with tea back home). I lobbed everything into a 20 litre backpack and cycled 5 miles out to a local wildlife trust centre - slept in an area they use for teaching classic woodwork or something (it's actually on google streetview!). I set off all the motion sensitive lights on my way in - stealth! I have a new headtorch with a red light on it - that's perfect for setting up bivvy when you don't want to get noticed.

It's distinctly autumnal round this neck of the woods, had my winter sleeping bag (gen 1 Alpkit PD400, that's getting on a bit now!), needed earplugs due to the wildlife, and I really need to perfect my pillow setup when I don't have many spare clothes with me.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2830315144

10/10.
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

BAM 10/12 Stiperstones Shropshire

Train to Church Stretton (it's as cheap as going by car and a whole heap less hassle).

Rode up through Priors Holt woods to find my bivvy spot from last June and see if the titanium spork that I left last time was still there. Guess what - it was :-bd

This marvelous find was later balanced out by the loss of my reading glasses :oops:

Bivvied in my bivvy bag and tarp on the Stiperstones. It as a bit windy and the tarp kept flapping and waking me up. The worst part was having to get out into the freezing cold wind for a "comfort break". After all that wriggling in and out I was wide awake. I couldn't even look at the stars 'coz it had clouded over. It doesn't happen in a hammock - feet over the side, walk a few paces, do it and back to bed. Hardly wake up at all...

The bivvy:-

The morning was grey and misty, with a cold wind and through the day it got greyer and mistier, finally turning to heavy rain by the afternoon. By the time i got back to Church Stretton I was shivering. Waiting for the train in the draughty shelter made it worse. Hey ho, it doesn't matter. I had a good ride anyway.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Now you have another excuse to go back...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Hope you're out tonight sampling the weather our Sean? 109mph winds recorded at The Needles weatherstation it says 'ere! Interesting test for a tarp.

redefined_cycles

Just gonna put this out there...

That this is coming up the season where I find bivying the most difficult. Maybe the fsct I dont actually still own a tent might have sumat to do with it. Gonna try my best to get through the few tougher months with my Hunka XL and... wel... heyHo
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

RIP wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:14 pm Hope you're out tonight sampling the weather our Sean? 109mph winds recorded at The Needles weatherstation it says 'ere! Interesting test for a tarp.
It is tempting :wink: It's certainly breezy here and the Needles usually get the worst of it. I've ridden the bridleway across the downs on that end of the Island before and been picked up by a side wind and deposited on the ground some feet away, after being blown over several times I abandoned riding and took to running along with the bike until I could get off the downs.

Shaf, these are the easiest months as it's dark for longer so you don't have to get up as early. Just pick a day when it's not forecast to rain and you'll be fine.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger