Icknield Way and ‘Greater Ridgeway’

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

lune ranger

Icknield Way and ‘Greater Ridgeway’

Post by lune ranger »

I’m mulling over a few trips to do next year and am considering linking the Wessex Ridgeway to the Ridgeway to the Icknield Way and finally Peddars Way. I’m quite taken by the idea of following this ancient highway.
I know enough about the trail conditions on most of the route but am finding it hard to get useful information about the Icknield Way cycle path. Judging by the area of the country it goes through it could potentially be 100miles of nettle infested rut riddled field margins. Or it could be wonderful green lanes.
Does anyone have experience of riding the whole route or just the general area.
Thanks
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Mike

Re: Icknield Way and ‘Greater Ridgeway’

Post by Mike »

Well i tried the first part of it from dorset last yr and it was so over grown i used the lanes. Peddars way though is lovely
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I know the Wessex Ridgeway is not great. I may just leave that part out and head on road to Avebury and pick up the Ridgeway.
It’s the Icknield Way section that i’m Interested in finding out about.
WSC
dnrc

Post by dnrc »

I've done the whole Icknield way

i started at home (Norwich) cycled down to Knettishall Heath and went from there through to Radnage, i was on the Ridgeway (i think it is) by then.

I followed the GPS track that's floating around somewhere

Its a lovely ride, i would recommend it

There are lots of stretches where you're on bridleways and on stretches of the original path/road that are great cycling and there was also a fair bit of pushing across fields and overgrown bits. There is much more of the former than the latter if memory serves.

I did it in August and it was bone dry - a gravel bike on 32mm tyres was perfect.

If you have any questions or want some pics feel free to ask
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

dnrc wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:38 pm I've done the whole Icknield way

i started at home (Norwich) cycled down to Knettishall Heath and went from there through to Radnage, i was on the Ridgeway (i think it is) by then.

I followed the GPS track that's floating around somewhere

Its a lovely ride, i would recommend it

There are lots of stretches where you're on bridleways and on stretches of the original path/road that are great cycling and there was also a fair bit of pushing across fields and overgrown bits. There is much more of the former than the latter if memory serves.

I did it in August and it was bone dry - a gravel bike on 32mm tyres was perfect.

If you have any questions or want some pics feel free to ask
Thanks. That’s pretty much what I wanted to hear. I’m thinking of attempting to find the sweet spot at the end of April/start of May where things are relatively dry but the undergrowth hasn’t become overgrowth!
Looks like the Icknield way proper threads it’s way past a lot of urban development, does it feel like you are in the countryside? I’ll probably need to bivi in Bedfordshire.
WSC
dnrc

Post by dnrc »

Yes It goes near lots of towns and villages but the route i took rarely went through them.

Most of the time you are in countryside, i manged to stealth camp 2 nights, near Newmarket and Hitchin

I found a great stealth camping spot just outside Hitchin, it was well hidden but at the top of a hill with a cracking view overlooking a nature reserve. Can give you details if you like.