New deore

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

PaulB2

New deore

Post by PaulB2 »

My pedal fell out of my crankset recently and stripped half the thread off. Not sure if I failed to tighten it up enough or what but it looks like I need a new crankset on the mtb since it was the drive side arm. The existing crankset is a 38-24 but my lbs wasn’t sure if it could source an exact replacement. Am I reading it right that with the new m6000 deore I can only get the same gear range if I replace crankset (38-28) cassette (11-42) and probably rear derailleur?
Zippy

Re: New deore

Post by Zippy »

How stripped is it? Could you rescue the situation tapping it out - you can get pedal thread taps for non silly money.

283 (08-10-2016) by Chris Reeves, on Flickr

That's one I did earlier.

Failing that, you can helicoil it. See: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5739#p104361

That's held for many thousands of miles since I've done that...

If you're close by, I'd be happy to do it for you if you want to drop by - if not, it may be worth either getting your own kit (admittedly not cheap - but cheaper than a crankset and a tool that can be used in the future) or seeing if your local bike shop or someone will do it.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Could you not get the 38/28 crankset then replace the 28 with the 24 off the old one?
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Zippy wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:30 pm How stripped is it? Could you rescue the situation tapping it out - you can get pedal thread taps for non silly money.

283 (08-10-2016) by Chris Reeves, on Flickr

That's one I did earlier.

Failing that, you can helicoil it. See: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5739#p104361

That's held for many thousands of miles since I've done that...

If you're close by, I'd be happy to do it for you if you want to drop by - if not, it may be worth either getting your own kit (admittedly not cheap - but cheaper than a crankset and a tool that can be used in the future) or seeing if your local bike shop or someone will do it.
I did think of that but rejected it on the basis that I managed to strip the thread in the first place with my mechanic skills and this was a whole level further up. Thanks for the offer of dropping by but I’m in the Midlands
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Ray Young wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:42 pm Could you not get the 38/28 crankset then replace the 28 with the 24 off the old one?
Duh, I was completely overthinking that
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

I swapped mine out for a 34/24 Paul, there's really no need for that 38 as you don't do a lot of road to get to where your riding, I do t miss it and I've got a lot further on tow paths and road to get over the chase than you mate :-bd
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I managed to strip the thread in the first place with my mechanic skills and this was a whole level further up.
Local bike shop does it for £20 and they install the pedal for you as well

They do shipping as well but going to add some money to that bill

https://www.tartybikes.co.uk/workshop/t ... 11260.html
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Deore 38/24 available online - https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-de ... 37962.html
Changing just one part of a worn drivetrain can cause problems though.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Thanks for all the options, there’s one more local shop to ask about doing a pedal tap and then a 34-24 sounds like a good choice. The only time I’ve used the top gear was two WRTs ago when stevemorg went for it on a main road and everyone else was cruising in his slipstream :grin: