Powerbank tip

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

Powerbank tip

Post by dlovett »

If you have a powerbank that has two or more different outputs, here is a tip. I put a piece of duct tap across the 1A port so that I will only plug devices into the higher 2.1A port. My lights won't charge on the 1A Port and the phone's charging is much slower on 1A, as it want's lots of power. The tape stops me screwing up when half asleep at 3am.

ImageUber powerbanks by Duncan Lovett, on Flickr
BigdummySteve

Re: Powerbank tip

Post by BigdummySteve »

I’ve given my banks a through soaking with WD40, squirted through the ports. Seems to be working as it’s not died despite getting well damp. Also if using a dynamo use 90deg cables and secure them with gaffa to stop the micro usb getting broken.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Why is there a 1A port if it is so lame?
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:57 pm Why is there a 1A port if it is so lame?
I guess some devices only consume low power? you would think just make all ports high output and let the device draw what it needs?
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I assume its because the batteries cannot cope with both outputs in use at the higher rating so you get one of each.

Guessing though
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Lazarus wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:57 am I assume its because the batteries cannot cope with both outputs in use at the higher rating so you get one of each.

Guessing though
Properly true on the cheaper ones. The Good brands like Zendure tend to have two high output 2.4a sockets. Still if it supports passthrough like they do, you do tend to have a battery with much higher c rating.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Another tip I picked up whilst exploring dynamo stuff (which only works really with pass through or something or the other... I think it was probably that if I wanted to ... anyway, forgrt about that) is that, unless you desperately need pass through and can't get away without. Always buy non-pass through PBs. They last alot longer and potentially the reason why some companies like Anker don't support pass throigh charging
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

My tip that I discovered today is don’t let your pb sit in a puddle of water in your frame bag for a week - they stop working if you do :oops:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

lune ranger wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:50 pm My tip that I discovered today is don’t let your pb sit in a puddle of water in your frame bag for a week - they stop working if you do :oops:
Oopsy... schoolboy error surely Luke?? That's one thing I'm careful (and alwaysworried) of and after extensive testing have settled on the rap*a toptube bag to house the Anker (10000 mini PB)...
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:57 pm Why is there a 1A port if it is so lame?
I was told that while you can use the 2.1A on mobile phones for a quicker charge, long term use harms the phone's battery and leads to shorter battery life.
So charge on 1A if you have time and use 2.1A if you are pushed for time.
Seemed sensible to me at the time.
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

Hi
I'm not being deliberately annoying, it just comes naturally.
WD40 should not be used anywhere near electronics or contacts.
Use contact cleaner instead.
That is all.
Bye.
Grubby little urchin.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

The manufacturer would disagree,
WD-40 displaces moisture quickly and efficiently; it’s great for drying out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short circuits.
Does contact cleaner leave a moisture replacement film? WD40 doesn’t seem to have done mine any harm and not lost one to damp for a while

lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I’ve been merrily squirting WD40 up me connectors :roll: for years with no problems. What’s the problem anyway?
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

lune ranger wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:41 pm I’ve been merrily squirting WD40 up me connectors :roll: for years
:shock: