Adventurer

Is leaving stuff up Ben Nevis funny?

Post by Adventurer »

https://youtu.be/GguLCByHBx0

And looks like it was picked up in a big clean up

Maybe they should be sent the bill

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/ne ... tter-pick/
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Is leaving stuff up Ben Nevis funny?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Taking anything into the countryside / mountains and leaving it isn't really funny. I can appreciate that they were probably trying to make a point but perhaps there's better ways of doing it?
May the bridges you burn light your way
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

What Stu said. Ideally there should be minimal evidence of people passing by.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Just recently came across
"We left our own scribblings in the vitamin tube there [summit], before descending in 2 hours to camp."

From two fellow bikepackers/hikers many look up to.

Whilst I understand there's a difference between a bin and vitamin tube (one of centimetres), isn't both just stupid?

Many mountaineers leave "trash" on summits and think it's a good thing.

Of course we all want to leave our piss mark in the landscape, so how does this go with your LNT?

I know how it goes with mine and for some places I visited there's absolutely no proof, not even photos...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I really don't think there's any need to leave anything Gian. I also believe that those who feel the need to leave a mark, should just f*ck off because they're there for the wrong reasons .... hey but that's just me :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

"Summit books" are an odd one. The only one I can think of in the UK is at the top of the Old Man of Hoy which has a fairly high entrance exam to be able to sign it.

:???:

Hmm, I've still got that hat!

I lasted about a minute of that video, irritating even before the littering.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

take only memories leave only footprints was the way i learnt it as a kid

I dont leave a mark on the countryside it leaves a mark on me
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

It really annoys me that mountaineers on the highest , hardest mountains leave all sorts of crap up there. If they can't carry it out they shouldn't be carrying it up. But hey, that would be just too hard wouldn't it and get in the way of them summiting.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

whitestone wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:29 am "Summit books" are an odd one. The only one I can think of in the UK is at the top of the Old Man of Hoy which has a fairly high entrance exam to be able to sign it.

:???:

Hmm, I've still got that hat!

I lasted about a minute of that video, irritating even before the littering.
Got to love '90's climbing kit colours (I burned all of mine :lol: )
If they carried a bin up there, filled it full of rubbish, photo'd it and filmed it all, then took it back down full fair play. Leaving it up there is stupid, especially given that it will get blown into 5 finger gulley within hours of being left....
Mart

Post by Mart »

whitestone wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:29 am "Summit books" are an odd one. The only one I can think of in the UK is at the top of the Old Man of Hoy which has a fairly high entrance exam to be able to sign it.

I didn't sign the book - not sure on its purpose or benefit
2924 miles per Gallon
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Never made it up Hoy. Did Stoer and all that was up the top was a rake of old tat to ab' off and nesting Fulmars. I still recall the stink and being yacked on.

I did a trip to Czech Rep in the early 90s to try the sandstone spires. Almost every one had a book on top in a tin. Was fun, irrelevant in the wider scheme of things, particularly when you looked at the locals climbing in slippers with knotted rope as protection. They also placed wee temporary bolts on lead and then big bull-ring style jobbies fixed with lead sleeves.

I was soooooooooo far out of my depth :oops:
Scud

Post by Scud »

I remember reading that so many peoples ashes are now scattered at the summit of Ben Nevis it is changing the flora and fauna due to the amount of nitrogen or similar? That and a large number of flowers and plaques, nothing like commemorating a loved one who liked the outdoors, by leaving rubbish and remains everywhere!?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Scud wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:56 pm I remember reading that so many peoples ashes are now scattered at the summit of Ben Nevis it is changing the flora and fauna due to the amount of nitrogen or similar? That and a large number of flowers and plaques, nothing like commemorating a loved one who liked the outdoors, by leaving rubbish and remains everywhere!?
Yup - the John Muir Trust set up a commemorative garden in Glen Nevis. Its got seats and a nice view of the Ben (or at least the cloud covering the ben) and you can either spread ashes here, or leave a small bunch of flowers / memorial plaque. They then cleared the summit of memorials and put a lot of publicity into discouraging their return and ashes scattering. I don't think it made a huge difference however.....