Tour Divide Write Up

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dave Barter

Tour Divide Write Up

Post by Dave Barter »

Now I didn't make the BB300 this weekend mainly because I am soft but also down to having to do database upgrades out of hours. So I had plenty of time in front of the screen to finish this collection of stories from my race.

It's long! I warn you so I've split it into daily chunks. It's also not well edited but hopefully there are a few amusing little nuggets and something there for anyone thinking of having a go.

http://phased.co.uk/21-days-in-space-th ... vide-2019/
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
landel

Re: Tour Divide Write Up

Post by landel »

Brilliant write-up Dave, I really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing :-bd
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Good reading Dave, cheers
Meanwhile my mother-in-law was actively stalking me. My phone pinged with a text requesting details of the diner I was currently sat in as she couldn’t find it on Google Maps. I replied and within minutes was advised she was perusing the menu online.
Yep, similar happened to me in Seeley, sat in a pub and as soon as I connected to Wi-fi a message popped up from my Mum asking why I hadnt gone to the diner down the road as the menu looked more nutritious.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

wriggles wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:35 pm Good reading Dave, cheers
Meanwhile my mother-in-law was actively stalking me. My phone pinged with a text requesting details of the diner I was currently sat in as she couldn’t find it on Google Maps. I replied and within minutes was advised she was perusing the menu online.
Yep, similar happened to me in Seeley, sat in a pub and as soon as I connected to Wi-fi a message popped up from my Mum asking why I hadnt gone to the diner down the road as the menu looked more nutritious.
They picked me up from the airport and then I suffered a whole afternoon of them recounting every single detail of my ride back to me. They had spreadsheets of mileages, lists of towns and thousands of google street view images. I felt violated!
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Ha ha and you were still trying to process it all whilst this was going on. Brilliant.

(I was given 3 copies of Riding the Great Divide when I got back, my BiL [retired 30 year nails navy petty officer]had an entire wall with the route printed out and stuck up. The dog just shouted at me for 20 mins)

Really enjoyable read so far
If it wasn’t for these signs the course record would be closer to five days. They are becoming worn out as cameras have stolen too many photons from them.
Brilliant. Shows how much ground you covered though. Thats a proper quick time.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

:-bd Great write up. I know the finishing feeling, I had the same thing after my 1200mile jogle. I think it’s because you become adjusted to a hard but fundamentally simple existence, wake up, eat, do miles, eat sleep. It’s addictive in its simplicity, for me part of the flat feeling came from knowing I’d be leaving this temporary lifestyle behind.
I can see how people end up cycling around the world.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I was tempted to find a brothel first and send my mother-in-law into a frenzy. Other riders told me later that there was plenty of choice on this road.
:lol: :wink: :lol: :wink:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Great write up Dave, I'm up to day 15. I'm trying not to read it all in one go as I won't have anything to look forward to and I should really be working :smile:

And I now know what happened to your tent :lol: In other accounts I've read people have got rid of more, like their entire sleep kit, so don't feel too bad.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
faustus

Post by faustus »

That's a great write-up, and I look forward to reading more about your post divide thoughts and anecdotes. Greg May's write up is similar to yours and one I also enjoyed. For me, hearing about the gritty hard details makes it more appealing because the 'postcard divide' shortchanges on the difficulties and therefore the realities.

No idea how I'd do it, but hearing about sh1te food, mosquitoes, and poo habits, made it seem oddly more achievable.
trob6

Post by trob6 »

Excellent Dave, It takes me right back its like I was you and I wanted to do it again within two days of the end after saying almost all the way though that this is stupid and never again etc.
What's the worst than can happen?
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

Have finally managed to read the whole lot after rationing it out! Thanks for sharing it Dave - I've been obsessively reading people's accounts of riding the divide for the last 15 years and yours has jumped to the top of the pile as my favourite by far! Really well written, brutally honest and a lot of genuine moments of laughing out loud - brilliant.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Thank you, means a lot.
psling

Post by psling »

Hi Dave. I've been reading through your write up too; fascinating insight into both the event and your physical and mental perspective. Can't wait for the book.... :wink:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Enjoyed the write up, so many similar experiences.

Was the barber in El Paso by any chance? My beard was mutilated my a certain Manuel in El Paso..
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Richpips wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:35 pm Enjoyed the write up, so many similar experiences.

Was the barber in El Paso by any chance? My beard was mutilated my a certain Manuel in El Paso..
No Phoenix
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

Great write up Dave. I've read a lot about the CDT hike, but this is the first time I've heard of the bike race.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
gloryhallelujahAl

Post by gloryhallelujahAl »

Dave have just finished reading your write-up, thanks. It’s an inspirational read and compelling. Makes me want to do it now, but I absolutely HATE mosquitoes 😀
AL
Sanguis et Ignis
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Get entered
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Cordillera 2019 is now out

http://www.lulu.com/shop/david-chirnsid ... 49464.html

Well worth buying for a really good cause and making sure you get off your arse and do it next year
AndrewT

Post by AndrewT »

Superb write-up. On the back of that read, I've put my order in for Cordillera.

My work plans changed for 2020 so I've pushed back my attempt at Tour Divide until 2021. Instead I'm focussing on the big European bikepacking races this year. Always good to read how others have fared.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Dave. Obvs a bit late with this but I wanted to find this thread to let you know that this was genuinely wonderful writing.

As with the Billie Dovey chapter in "The Year" I found myself choking up with emotion at points and going back to re-read them more than once (particularly the Todd GPS bit and the last few pages as a whole).

Funny, candid, introspective, illustrative and occasionally disturbing; I've read and watched a load of good and bad stuff about the TDR and this, by far, does the best job of putting the reader in the rider's head. By definition that means you've accomplished the writer's job. You should be immensely pleased with it, I hope you are.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Thank you Andy I welled up just reading that
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

You're not that annoying btw.