Bb200 Waffle Thread.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

composite

Re: Bb200 Waffle Thread.

Post by composite »

Could I get a copy of the route from anyone? Interested to have a look in a bit more detail.
techno

Post by techno »

Really enjoyed my ride/walk this weekend, the route was tough but entertaining.
Really glad I hooked up with Al and Hetty, made the nighttime slog all the more bearable, thanks guys.

And thanks Stu and Dee for everything, except 'kin Dyfi Forrest you #*@£ :lol:
composite

Post by composite »

OK so got the route from Strava. Was looking at the section just to the west of Ganllwyd and thought Stu had recycled this bit from 2014. Was thinking bloody hell, how bad must the Dyfi Forrest bit be for people to be "highlighting" that as the most challenging section. Then realised that Stu taken some pity on you poor souls.

redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

That was traumatic... moreso that 'world cup track' (which I'm happy I did even though i walked 70 percent of it...

Thanks very much to my company throughtout the ride but most importantly in the final 50 miles (Wotsits and MarkW of total 80ish miles).. Pretty sure I may really have considered scratching if it wasn't for these 2 fine gents :-bd
Al

Post by Al »

techno mail wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:14 pm Really enjoyed my ride/walk this weekend, the route was tough but entertaining.
Really glad I hooked up with Al and Hetty, made the nighttime slog all the more bearable, thanks guys.

And thanks Stu and Dee for everything, except 'kin Dyfi Forrest you #*@£ :lol:
Like wise Andy - was great to have some company while I staggered around in the dark!

I take it you survived your 5hr drive home and aren’t asleep in your mini in a service station. I managed to drive all of 40min before I had to stop and sleep.

I think I’ll have nightmares about dyfi forest for quite a while :shock:
techno

Post by techno »

Al wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:19 am Like wise Andy - was great to have some company while I staggered around in the dark!

I take it you survived your 5hr drive home and aren’t asleep in your mini in a service station. I managed to drive all of 40min before I had to stop and sleep.

I think I’ll have nightmares about dyfi forest for quite a while :shock:
I had 3 hours kip in the hall which sorted me out, didn't even get drowsy on the drive home :-bd
Yeah Dyfi was the real sting in the tail!
Alexinthepeaks

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Alexinthepeaks wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:11 am My photos from the event: https://www.flickr.com/gp/37648664@N06/h9Er3g
Fair play, it takes some doing to go that fast and take photos. :shock:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

C managed to get a good pic of the sunset from the Barmouth bridge.

...and I managed to get one of Duncan getting his dessert on.

larsmars

Post by larsmars »

Wow, that was a tough one. I can barely walk or eat today. Up until Barmouth, it was primarily Type 1 with well balanced mix of terrain with fantastic descents. I managed to make it to the SPAR in Penrhyndeudraeth by 22:30. Then it was up to the quarry for some HAB. My legs began to object on the final scramble. It was survival mode for the final 100km.

All in all, a very fine route with some great sections I'd not ridden before. Though it might be a while before I consider 300km in one go again.

Thanks Stu and Dee for looking after us.
Thanks Papparazi John for the finish photos.
Thanks Karl for riding chats and photos.
Thanks all for post ride bantz.

My ride on Strava
https://www.strava.com/activities/2787696183

Here are some photos (including three taken by Karl and a few at the finish by John)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7atr1PPPjsUJHyTu8
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Nice one Lars. I'd seen your activity since I stalk, err, follow you. Where's the shot of the river crossing?
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
larsmars

Post by larsmars »

whitestone wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:11 pm Nice one Lars. I'd seen your activity since I stalk, err, follow you. Where's the shot of the river crossing?
Thanks! The river crossing is Afon Hengwym just before the disused Maesnant hostel and the Nat-Y-Moch Reservoir. The same section featured on last year's route, but it was too deep so we had to take the footbridge upstream.
Screenshot 2019-10-14 at 13.42.46.jpg
(232.32 KiB) Downloaded 1917 times
composite

Post by composite »

Was it this section in Dyfi Forrest that was the death march?
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

larsmars wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:44 pm Thanks! The river crossing is Afon Hengwym just before the disused Maesnant hostel and the Nat-Y-Moch Reservoir. The same section featured on last year's route, but it was too deep so we had to take the footbridge upstream.
Ha... I definitely think I'd have taken the bridge.

But yeah, you'd have drowned had you tried to do the same thing last year.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

larsmars wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:44 pm
whitestone wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:11 pm Nice one Lars. I'd seen your activity since I stalk, err, follow you. Where's the shot of the river crossing?
Thanks! The river crossing is Afon Hengwym just before the disused Maesnant hostel and the Nat-Y-Moch Reservoir. The same section featured on last year's route, but it was too deep so we had to take the footbridge upstream.
Ha! I sort of thought it was but the only times I've seen that river it's been up to the level of the gate :shock:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
techno

Post by techno »

composite wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:52 pm Was it this section in Dyfi Forrest that was the death march?
Yes indeed 8-X
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I'm glad I was unaware of this until it happened.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

That wooden bridge must be a recent addition, the original was concrete with a dodgy scaffold pole handrail slung between 2 big rocks. Used to go swimming in the pools just downstream. My first encounter with the ford downstream was on a Honda SS50 in 1976, the track north to Hyddgen didn't really exist and was just a bog as far as the sheep pens. This valley was the scene of a pitched battle 600 years ago between Owain Glyndwr and the English army of HenryIV apparently the river ran red with blood. You think it was tough on Saturday?..
redefined_cycles

Escape Goat wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:27 pm I'm glad I was unaware of this until it happened.
+1... them downhills before that... 2 or 3 of them were the ones I was certain was fhe downhill track and I was pretty happy with myself (mostly) riding em :lol:
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Used the Garmin Edge 1030 and external battery pack for BB200

Backlight was on for much of the day and all night

Edge was on map page pretty much all the time.

External battery lasted 22 hours, after which the Edge swapped to its internal battery.

Quite pleased with that
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:08 pm
Escape Goat wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:27 pm I'm glad I was unaware of this until it happened.
+1... them downhills before that... 2 or 3 of them were the ones I was certain was fhe downhill track and I was pretty happy with myself (mostly) riding em :lol:
Bit hard for me on drops and a high saddle... Oh and being awake since the day before haha!!
redefined_cycles

Escape Goat wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:50 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:08 pm
Bit hard for me on drops and a high saddle... Oh and being awake since the day before haha!!
:lol: i just reread what I wrote and realised I made it look like I enjoyed that last DH... I didn't and was about to poop myself. Not sure how you guys without droppers (who told you to leave that at home) and gravel bikes (who told you it was an mtb... who told you to leave your mtbs at home :o :lol: ) managed to ride it all
Ian

Post by Ian »

Just uploaded my Garmin data to Strava, and spotted this segment: https://www.strava.com/segments/4229219
Suprised to get 3rd place given choice of bike :shock:
slarge

Post by slarge »

Ian, there's some odd segments in that part of Wales. Only ridden in October and quite often with surprisingly low speeds...... (not taking away from your efforts!!)

For years I've had a few road climb KOMs that I earnt on a fully laden bike half way round a 200km ride (in October) - unless they also had a bit of offroad detour I can't understand why the local roady Strava hunter hasn't cleaned up. (Lost one of my KOMs to a Alex Berry in this years BB200 - I think he got round the fastest so I don't mind too much (if it had been some bloke on a fatbike I would have moaned a bit though! :-bd )
Alexinthepeaks

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

slarge wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:47 pm Ian, there's some odd segments in that part of Wales. Only ridden in October and quite often with surprisingly low speeds...... (not taking away from your efforts!!)

For years I've had a few road climb KOMs that I earnt on a fully laden bike half way round a 200km ride (in October) - unless they also had a bit of offroad detour I can't understand why the local roady Strava hunter hasn't cleaned up. (Lost one of my KOMs to a Alex Berry in this years BB200 - I think he got round the fastest so I don't mind too much (if it had been some bloke on a fatbike I would have moaned a bit though! :-bd )
Does it make you feel bad i was on a steel Enduro Hardcore Hardtail with 63.5 degree H/A and 160mm Pikes running 2.8 tyres! Need something a bit more suitable for the 300 next time! 🤣